ADVERTISEMENT

FC: TCU's Patterson says SEC schools trying to lure players with NIL deals/compensation...

Midnighter2

Jan 21, 2021
If true, is this against any rules....?

TCU’s Gary Patterson is encouraging local business leaders and Horned Frogs supporters to embrace college’s new name, image and likeness rules, saying the team is at risk of losing players to SEC schools attempting to lure athletes with compensation.

Speaking at an NIL event put on by the school Wednesday night, Patterson said if TCU doesn’t step up in that department, it’ll be left behind. He mentioned one freshman on his roster who’s being contacted by several SEC schools, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

“There’s five SEC schools calling him and telling him, ‘Here’s what we’ll give you if you come here and not stay at TCU,’” Patterson said, according to the paper. “At the end of the day, that’s just real life. If we don’t do anything about it, within a year we lose him. The rules have changed. There is no wrong anymore.”

Patterson estimated that unless TCU has something in place by the end of November, there’s a chance the Horned Frogs could lose 25-30 players to the transfer portal.

“Everybody lives in the gray area. Everybody in this room lives in the gray area,” he said. “The bottom line to it is we’re going to have to live in the gray area if we want to keep up.”

I'd maybe understand if a player was officially in the portal. But it they're trying to entice a non-portal player behind the back of another school, that's ridiculous. But if it works, all parties can deny any prior contact took place.

Reactions: psu00 and bison13
I would think all would be better if not fully okay if the party on the other end of the NIL deal would reach out to a rep of the athlete. Is that the distinction here?

Reactions: bison13

TCU’s Gary Patterson is encouraging local business leaders and Horned Frogs supporters to embrace college’s new name, image and likeness rules, saying the team is at risk of losing players to SEC schools attempting to lure athletes with compensation.

Speaking at an NIL event put on by the school Wednesday night, Patterson said if TCU doesn’t step up in that department, it’ll be left behind. He mentioned one freshman on his roster who’s being contacted by several SEC schools, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

“There’s five SEC schools calling him and telling him, ‘Here’s what we’ll give you if you come here and not stay at TCU,’” Patterson said, according to the paper. “At the end of the day, that’s just real life. If we don’t do anything about it, within a year we lose him. The rules have changed. There is no wrong anymore.”

Patterson estimated that unless TCU has something in place by the end of November, there’s a chance the Horned Frogs could lose 25-30 players to the transfer portal.

“Everybody lives in the gray area. Everybody in this room lives in the gray area,” he said. “The bottom line to it is we’re going to have to live in the gray area if we want to keep up.”
segundo-sol-novela.gif

I'd maybe understand if a player was officially in the portal. But it they're trying to entice a non-portal player behind the back of another school, that's ridiculous. But if it works, all parties can deny any prior contact took place.
Honestly, why wouldn’t they do this? Integrity? That’s non-existant in the NCAA at this point and nobody is stopping programs from doing it. Love or hate the SEC, they at least don’t try to be something they are not.

Or worse yet, it might be legal to do so. Why shouldn’t under the restraint of trade laws, a college be permitted to offer to players on other teams? I think it’s one of many things that have already destroyed the sport and turned into an NFL minor league.

that has really been my problem all along. There is simply NO WAY to enforce anything.. Players end up hiring PR agents to sell NIL. Of course those agents are. out beating the bushes to see where they can get the best deals! That is their job. They then go to the athlete and say "you know, if you go to xxx state university tech A&M, I can get you another $1.5mm before you graduate. You in? "

that has really been my problem all along. There is simply NO WAY to enforce anything.. Players end up hiring PR agents to sell NIL. Of course those agents are. out beating the bushes to see where they can get the best deals! That is their job. They then go to the athlete and say "you know, if you go to xxx state university tech A&M, I can get you another $1.5mm before you graduate. You in? "
Maybe we need to come up with new creamery flavors like Noah “Candy” Cain so he can get his NIL. Actually that flavor sounds pretty good.

The Wild West of college sports is now fully unleashed. This will be a complete mess.
Agreed. In a few years major college football will be like the NFL. The difference will be the NFL has rules, college football won't. The rich and everyone else to a greater degree than today.

Reactions: unclewill and psu00
This was always a major concern, that certain schools, situated in locals with a ton of NIL opportunities will just eat the lesser schools. "you really want to stay out in State College, who is going to pay you top $$ out there.....the Amish?" Come to Miami, I can guarantee you a 7 figure NIL deal immediately. Not to pull more of the Franklin-USC talk into this, but I wonder if that weighs on his mind at all? Granted, our recruiting class is stout(for now).

Agreed. In a few years major college football will be like the NFL. The difference will be the NFL has rules, college football won't. The rich and everyone else to a greater degree than today.
Told my son IMO, you’re looking at a handful of teams to a dozen who will have the resources to pay the big money. The remaining teams will pick up the recruiting scraps and be a non-factor in the world of CFB.
What we knew as college football from the 1990’s has changed dramatically to today. What we will see from now forward will change dramatically.
Just my $0.02.

OL

So the schools that were cheating like there's no tomorrow before NIL and the portal came into play are now ramping it up with the new $$$ system. Totally shocking. I actually think most P5 schools will lose about 15 to 25% of their players annually to the portal unless they are on a NIL payroll somehow that keeps them there. The haves will just have more now!

Reactions: OhioLion
Mark Emmert killed college football.
Yep. The NCAA’s unwillingness to adapt and come up with a good solution that student athletes and universities found acceptable, it went from one end of the spectrum to the wild Wild West and NCAA pretty much washing their hands on the situation (accept when they will randomly and inconsistently stick their nose back in).

Reactions: Midnighter2
Nah. emmert’s got this.
I don’t know why I struggle to have faith in Emmert and the ncaa. It must be a personality flaw. Does this mean I should hate myself (or is this covered in the ‘I hate us’ category)? 😉

I don’t know how they can fix it now. We are on the path now to straight out buying players by universities with big money able to outbid those that don’t.

Can the ncaa make some rule that you can’t sign a new NIL agreement for a year (or 2) after transferring? (I don’t know how that would stand up in court cases). I don’t really see a solution on how to stop it.

At this point all conference realignment should just stop as it seems we’re heading to the formation of a super conference of schools that can outbid the rest.

This will eliminate college sports as we know it…eventually those that provide the NIL funding will want to see ROI. And then things have a chance to reach some sort of equilibrium. But by then, it may be too late.

Reactions: bdgan
Or worse yet, it might be legal to do so. Why shouldn’t under the restraint of trade laws, a college be permitted to offer to players on other teams? I think it’s one of many things that have already destroyed the sport and turned into an NFL minor league.
Time to start requiring players to sign contracts with penalty clauses….if they want it, they should get the whole thing.

I don’t know how they can fix it now. We are on the path now to straight out buying players by universities with big money able to outbid those that don’t.

Can the ncaa make some rule that you can’t sign a new NIL agreement for a year (or 2) after transferring? (I don’t know how that would stand up in court cases). I don’t really see a solution on how to stop it.

At this point all conference realignment should just stop as it seems we’re heading to the formation of a super conference of schools that can outbid the rest.
Contracts for the players will do it.

ADVERTISEMENT