ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Student section for last week's Army game

LionFan96

Jun 29, 2001
Maybe this has been discussed, but the student section at last week's game against Army was the most pathetic I've ever seen. Yes, I understand the opponent was lackluster (although it was military appreciation week and pretty cool to play against a service academy imo), and it was a noon game and the weather wasn't great, but the student was at most half full. As Penn State fans we like to tout ourselves as having the "best student section in the country", but last week's turnout showed anything but. (And yes, I was at the game myself.)

I'm giving them a pass for that game. Yes, I was there too, but this season has been brutal. 5 straight games and terrible, terrible weather for every one other than SDSU. I'm disgusted as well. I'm actually looking forward to not going down next week.

If that continues with the student section, then we may have a problem. I don't think it will tho.

Yes, I was at the game and was also disappointed with the number of students that showed up. It looked to be about half the amount that would normally be there.

Reactions: BBrown
It looked terrible on TV. You could only see the section at around the 10 yard line (sorry, I don't know section numbers), and it looked like there were only about 10 rows filled in that section.

All of the fraternities and commons have really nice HDTVs. Just like many Alumni who ditch bad weather, and especially bad weather/bad opponent games, they will too.

I'm with Alphabets on this.

Except for the SDS game, the weather has been terrible for every home game. The students have been a presence in each game, but consider a few things:

- unless most fans, they don't have a lot of good rain attire for games. Trash bags with holes for the arms work for a bit, but not for entire games
- many of them have been partying before the game. the seniors are usually at the senior tailgate in the fields, where they've been getting soaking wet. By comparison fans are, for the most part, in their cars, or under canopies in the parking lots before games
- two weeks ago was also a canning weekend. you had canning chairs at frats/sororities/other orgs begging their members to go canning

The weather looks to be good for this weekend's game, and I suspect that the student section will be rocking.

Psu also cancelled tailgating on the IM fields last week, which is where the students all tailgate.

Also, they sell more student tickets than there are seats to try and limit this happening. I expect them to just sell more student tickets next year since it is never full. This plan has only backfired once since they instituted it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmw199
Maybe this has been discussed, but the student section at last week's game against Army was the most pathetic I've ever seen. Yes, I understand the opponent was lackluster (although it was military appreciation week and pretty cool to play against a service academy imo), and it was a noon game and the weather wasn't great, but the student was at most half full. As Penn State fans we like to tout ourselves as having the "best student section in the country", but last week's turnout showed anything but. (And yes, I was at the game myself.)
Never ever find the student section empty at Ohio State, even when they had mediocre teams the stadium is full. Hate to say it, but they have the best and most loyal fans in the Nation.

Never ever find the student section empty at Ohio State, even when they had mediocre teams the stadium is full. Hate to say it, but they have the best and most loyal fans in the Nation.
k.

...not much else to do in Columbus on a football weekend...

...except perhaps visit the tat parlors...

Last edited:
I think if PSU can't get students who live blocks from the stadium interested in going, then they have bigger problems than they'll ever admit. This week will be better, but perhaps not as much as Tom and others think. The noon start and homecoming parties will again eat into their attendance, and I would expect WAU and EAU and the student halves of EBU and WBU to be empty again. Will be thrilled to be proven wrong.

I was impressed with how many people actually showed up vs. Army. Coldest Oct. 3 game I can recall, although there was a frigid game vs. BC Sept. 23, 1989, probably tied to Hurricane Hugo (not my fault). That was a lousy game, too, with a last second PSU TD earning a mesmerizing/ugly (take your pick) 7-3 victory.

well I can give an explanation for one student not being in the student section'. My daughter 'walked' from West Halls on crutches. She then chose to sit with me in WH so she didn't have to stand the entire game. She also went with me to the volleyball game. It's great to watch games with her. She is more positive than 95% of the people here and knows more about sports than probably 75% of the people here.

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT