ADVERTISEMENT

FC: PSU commit Ken Talley dissing OSU on Twitter

Talk is cheap and very often pisses people off. From this, vengeance ensues.
Perhaps. Given Tosu’s station, they could choose to ignore it. Still, we don’t exactly need to give them extra motivation.
Not necessarily defending the banter, but rather specifically addressing the possible effect on a future matchup:

Perhaps in some instances such things may provide extra motivation...but in this instance OSU has already won the recent matchups anyway, so in that respect there is nothing to lose...

...and it is unlikely that any visiting team can be any MORE motivated than the motivation that a whiteout atmosphere already inherently provides.

I would prefer we do something on field. I guess it can't hurt to pump up PSU recruiting but prepare for the expected blasting.

giphy.gif

Reactions: PearlSUJam
I agree. But, then again, neither of us are 19, so…

Talley isn’t at PSU yet, so he may be on his own. He may not get positive guidance from his parents or other family members. Franklin can’t discipline him. I wonder how involved Franklin gets with his players with respect to social media.

It’s 2021, people, and time we had a little more swagger and braggadocio from our players and recruits. I say good for him.
I'm sort of with you. We seem to downplay the OSU game every year. The players anyway "ya know it just football, lot of those guys are our friends, well take the beating." While not my cup of tea, I prefer this to total passivity.

Classless. Although a great prospect, he's proven nothing at the college level. Keep your mouth shut young man and let your performance on the field do your talking. This is not the PSU way!
I know, they are on your lawn too...also, "down in front!", wasn't that you a few years ago at the Beav? 1968 called and they said Mike Reid and Steve Smear aren't walking through that door, these are the kids of today.

Whatever we've been doing hasn't worked, why not try to piss them off?

And let's not lie to ourselves that we have some classy rep to protect. It's not fair but it is what it is.

I'm totally humiliated by our results against that team. It's a stain on our legacy at this point.

As far as I'm concerned it's all wasted energy -..
I like Talley but he hasn't even played a down
yet in blue and white, and many times these
kind of things can be distractions to yourself and to the team ..... why talk smack now !!!!

Get on campus, keep your nose where it belongs and let your play on the field do
your talking - just my opinion

Going to be a long four years of this if he's
starting this now .... better to keep quiet
until you find out whether you can back it up or not

Again, just my opinion

kind of things can be distractions to yourself and to the team ..... why talk smack now !!!!

Get on campus, keep your nose where it belongs and let your play on the field do

Again, just my opinion
Here is mine: Whatever we have been doing isn't working. They have owned us. Time to try something different.

I don’t care if he shit talks or not. The OSU commits are engaging as well.

At least he isn’t talking on social media about purposely shoulder bumping others while walking around campus. Now that was embarrassing and made you say WTF.

Reactions: ram2020
Whatever we've been doing hasn't worked, why not try to piss them off?

And let's not lie to ourselves that we have some classy rep to protect. It's not fair but it is what it is.

I'm totally humiliated by our results against that team. It's a stain on our legacy at this point.
I'd gently push back on the first point -- Shareef Miller and others talked trash back in 2018 about how Dwayne Haskins was soft. Haskins then went on to carve us apart in that 4th quarter and get the last laugh. And then there was the 2019 shirtless nonsense in Columbus during the pre-game.

As you mentioned, we are not new to trash talk. Seems like we've been doing more jawing the past few years than in any period I can remember.

At the end of the day, games are won by execution. Haskins beat us not because he was pissed, but because their D methodically picked apart our secondary. No need to give the other guys extra ammo, though.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I'd gently push back on the first point -- Shareef Miller and others talked trash back in 2018 about how Dwayne Haskins was soft. Haskins then went on to carve us apart in that 4th quarter and get the last laugh. And then there was the 2019 shirtless nonsense in Columbus during the pre-game.

As you mentioned, we are not new to trash talk. Seems like we've been doing more jawing the past few years than in any period I can remember.

At the end of the day, games are won by execution. Haskins beat us not because he was pissed, but because their D methodically picked apart our secondary. No need to give the other guys extra ammo, though.

Well if we were talking crap and got beat then maybe we should stop. We should do something different. I have no ability to say anything useful about football tactics or strategy. I was just thinking getting them really angry might change things up. But that might be difficult because if I was them I wouldn't care at all what we think or say.

Players just like to play the game of their lives against us for some reason. I don't know why it always happens.

Reactions: Option Bob

Again, just my opinion
At least he sounds like someone who won't back down when playing Ohio State like most of our kids the last 3+ years seem to do.

Reactions: ram2020
At least he sounds like someone who won't back down when playing Ohio State like most of our kids the last 3+ years seem to do.
I do agree that it's nice to see he won't back down. I'm not sure our players have backed down against OSU, though. Some of our kids have played games of their lives against OSU.

But talent wins. Will Fries lined up against Chase Young, or Garrett Wilson juking half our secondary on the first play of the game were microcosms of the talent disparity the past few years. I have no doubt the kids really cared. But all the jawing in the world won't overcome major talent disparities and inferior execution.

Reactions: step.eng69

Franklin has a responsibility to rein that shit in.

Reactions: psu00 and N&B4PSU
Franklin has a responsibility to rein that shit in.
Slightly different approach to Talley given that he's only a verbal commit, but I agree re: the jawing that we've seen over the past few years from various guys. And it doesn't seem isolated to just a few kids. The defensive unit in particular talks enormous amounts of trash.

Definitely not my cup of tea.

I do agree that it's nice to see he won't back down. I'm not sure our players have backed down against OSU, though. Some of our kids have played games of their lives against OSU.

But talent wins. Will Fries lined up against Chase Young, or Garrett Wilson juking half our secondary on the first play of the game were microcosms of the talent disparity the past few years. I have no doubt the kids really cared. But all the jawing in the world won't overcome major talent disparities and inferior execution.
That's true when the talent is different (maybe in 2019-2020). But in both 2017 and 2018 we led games by 12 or more points in the 4th quarter and basically collapsed. Maybe we didn't have enough depth, maybe our coaches screwed it up. Maybe their coaches made mistakes early and adjusted. Maybe Penn State just brings out the best in Ohio State. I'm thinking of things like JT Barrett completing 16 straight passes in the 4th quarter and our offense not being able to manage a first-down late with Saquon Barkley in the backfield. I believe some of our guys expected Ohio State to win, and so they did.

Slightly different approach to Talley given that he's only a verbal commit, but I agree re: the jawing that we've seen over the past few years from various guys. And it doesn't seem isolated to just a few kids. The defensive unit in particular talks enormous amounts of trash.

Definitely not my cup of tea.
I don't mind talking trash if you can back it up. If you talk trash you better win.

Wasn't going to weigh in at all beyond my above post that there is no such thing as "additional" motivation in a whiteout atmosphere and that OSU has won the recent matchups anyway...

...but reading the tweets in question (which are now 3 days old btw) and the corresponding responses in this thread, I sense that many people are commenting solely based on the thread headline "Ken Talley dissing OSU on Twitter" and not the tweets themselves.

Therefore, just to put things in perspective (which may mean there is less to discuss), below are the 2 tweets in question:

The first tweet actually implies that it is easier to get playing time at PSU...if anything implying less position depth which is not the epitome of trash talking LOL...maybe it could be considered an awkward recruiting pitch?:

The second tweet:

Not to offend posters who I tend to like and typically agree with, but judge for yourself if either of these (or even his predictions about possible OSU decommits that didn't pan out) are consistent with the way they have been depicted in this thread.

Perhaps. Given Tosu’s station, they could choose to ignore it. Still, we don’t exactly need to give them extra motivation.

Ignore it? That fan base? They wait for other boards to say anything slightly negative about their beloved team. Post something about "tattoo-gate" and watch the gnats show up.

Wasn't going to weigh in at all beyond my above post that there is no such thing as "additional" motivation in a whiteout atmosphere and that OSU has won the recent matchups anyway...

...but reading the tweets in question (which are now 3 days old btw) and the corresponding responses in this thread, I sense that many people are commenting solely based on the thread headline "Ken Talley dissing OSU on Twitter" and not the tweets themselves.

Therefore, just to put things in perspective (which may mean there is less to discuss), below are the 2 tweets in question:

The first tweet actually implies that it is easier to get playing time at PSU...if anything implying less position depth which is not the epitome of trash talking LOL...maybe it could be considered an awkward recruiting pitch?:

The second tweet:

Not to offend posters who I tend to like and typically agree with, but judge for yourself if either of these (or even his predictions about possible OSU decommits that didn't pan out) are consistent with the way they have been depicted in this thread.

His first tweet is a sentiment that a certain poster (who likely uses many names) has cried here multiple times about players like Fleming going there to fight for a starting spot while he could have went almost anywhere else and started no later than mid year (if not day 1).

Of course, the quality of depth that the Buckeyes is building is insane. Their second string would probably contend for the conference title. They are sending players to the NFL and they are getting to the playoff. Isn't that the ultimate goal of every kid who gets on scholarship?

The second tweet isn't trash talking at all. Everybody here knows that when you get an offer from Bama, Clemson, and OSU, your star rating goes up. These are kids who have dedicated their youth to being the best at this sport. Of course you want offers from the best of the best.

I like that he deferred it to the kids in his community (and he may very well be honest about that). The kid is vocal and he seems to be a big part of uniting the class as a group.

Last but not least, go back to the kid who tried to out him as "begging for a OSU offer". Talley didn't respond by posting private conversations (that I know of). He merely pointed out the dates of the messages. The kid who posted a private conversation, which was a blatant lie apparently because of the dates, is the immature one, no?

I don’t want to “age shame,” but there is no way anyone under the age of 50 sees those tweets and takes issue with them. One poster above really said they were “classless!” And at least two people upvoted that comment! Give me a break.

Reactions: OhHello
Sigh. OK. He was NOT courted by nor offered by...

osu, clemson, bama, lsu, georgia, auburn, okie dokie.

he was by us, meatchicken, florida, baylor.

IOW, the B team wants him, the A team said thanks, no thanks. I suspect that irked him.. a lot.

He needs to get into camp, hit the weights, learn his role, and come out and prove himself on the fing field.

I get the he's 19 stuff.. but he is PENN STATE and he needs to figure that part out. I love that he cares, that he has 'tude and wants to rumble. Now, young man, show me on the field what you can do.

BTW, "B" team means 6-12 nationally.

His first tweet is a sentiment that a certain poster (who likely uses many names) has cried here multiple times about players like Fleming going there to fight for a starting spot while he could have went almost anywhere else and started no later than mid year (if not day 1).

Of course, the quality of depth that the Buckeyes is building is insane. Their second string would probably contend for the conference title. They are sending players to the NFL and they are getting to the playoff. Isn't that the ultimate goal of every kid who gets on scholarship?

The second tweet isn't trash talking at all. Everybody here knows that when you get an offer from Bama, Clemson, and OSU, your star rating goes up. These are kids who have dedicated their youth to being the best at this sport. Of course you want offers from the best of the best.

I like that he deferred it to the kids in his community (and he may very well be honest about that). The kid is vocal and he seems to be a big part of uniting the class as a group.

Last but not least, go back to the kid who tried to out him as "begging for a OSU offer". Talley didn't respond by posting private conversations (that I know of). He merely pointed out the dates of the messages. The kid who posted a private conversation, which was a blatant lie apparently because of the dates, is the immature one, no?

That's how I see it, too.

Whether it's a truthful sentiment or not, his second tweet is perfectly reasonable. He's claiming he wouldn't have gone to any of those schools......he just wanted the extra publicity. I suspect that's a positive spin on things, but either way, there was nothing classless about it.

The first tweet wasn't really classless, either........but it was a bit odd. The argument he's basically making is, "commit to OSU, and you won't see the field because they're so loaded. But commit to us and you will". Not sure that's the type of message that conveys what he wants to convey. Because it pretty much implies that OSU is bringing in better players.

Reactions: lazydave841
Meh, non story as far as I'm concerned. Talking trash wasn't my style but if this ignites a fire under our boys, then so be it. We can't do worse than we have against O$U in recent years.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
ADVERTISEMENT