ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: You're the Michigan AD - what do you do about Harbaugh?

Prior to the start of this year Jimmy was the only Power 5 coach with less than two years left on a contract (believe he has one year left on his - highest in the B1G and top four in the country). His record speaks for itself:

According to The Michigan Daily, Harbaugh apparently had to instruct his team on the bench to cheer when wide receiver AJ Henning made one of the only highlight plays of the day for the Wolverines in the 27-17 loss to Penn State.

Just some universally bad stuff going on at Michigan. I know a lot of folks are ready for the Franklin era to end, but he's not going anywhere because he can bust out multiple 11 win seasons, the NY6 Bowls, one B1G Championship, and at least one win over Ohio State - something Jimmah can't do.

So, what do you do? Lots of talk Jimmy could bolt back to the NFL, which I think would be the cleanest break from Michigan - they both would save some face there. If not, Michigan has to either a) renew his contract, b) not renew his contract and have Jimmy flapping in the wind his final year, or c) fire him (and I can't imagine they will do that). Michigan fans are already on the Matt Campbell bandwagon, but I don't see it. What would you do?
Rock meet hard place?Do not forget jh is a Michigan man and was supposed to be the ultimate choice for them.I almost feel sorry but I just cannot get there without nausea becoming a factor.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
HairBall will go to the pros and be replaced by Urban Meyer or Tom Brady.

I don't see Meyer returning to the Big Ten; he'll take the SC job or Texas job, win a NC, and be the only coach to have ever done that at three different schools. There is no reason Michigan can't be better. They have tradition and resources matched by few schools, and have always recruited nationally very well (Texas in particular has been very good to them). If a kid will go to ND, he will go to Michigan. Harbaugh just hasn't fit in - he was an excellent coach while at Stanford - really punched above their weight class. But, he did have Andrew Luck - and he hasn't had an Andrew Luck or anyone close to him. Harbaugh has recruited pretty well - just hasn't translated on the field. Of course, the measuring stick for any Michigan coach is his success against OSU, and Harbaugh is failing miserably there.

Recruiting Classes

2016 (first full year as HC) - 4
2017 - 4
2018 - 24
2019 - 10
2020 - 11
2021 - 8

Reactions: brupsu and BBrown
I don't see Meyer returning to the Big Ten; he'll take the SC job or Texas job, win a NC, and be the only coach to have ever done that at three different schools. There is no reason Michigan can't be better. They have tradition and resources matched by few schools, and have always recruited nationally very well (Texas in particular has been very good to them). If a kid will go to ND, he will go to Michigan. Harbaugh just hasn't fit in - he was an excellent coach while at Stanford - really punched above their weight class. But, he did have Andrew Luck - and he hasn't had an Andrew Luck or anyone close to him. Harbaugh has recruited pretty well - just hasn't translated on the field. Of course, the measuring stick for any Michigan coach is his success against OSU, and Harbaugh is failing miserably there.

Recruiting Classes

2016 (first full year as HC) - 4
2017 - 4
2018 - 24
2019 - 10
2020 - 11
2021 - 8

Yea I would think Herman's Seat is going to get pretty hot in Texas.

Structurally I kind of think it is over for Michigan.

This. It's not a Harbaugh problem, it's a Michigan problem.

From 1969 (when they hired Bo) up to 2004, Michigan rarely went more than a year between B1G titles. In that 36-year span, they had a four-year B1G title drought, a three-year drought, and a two-year drought -- but that's all. Otherwise they won at least a share of a B1G title no less often than every other year.

Michigan will enter 2021 on a sixteen-year B1G title drought, and only six of those years belong to Harbaugh. Part of their problem is PSU is in the mix for titles as well. Part is that the divisions-and-title-game format means no more co-champs. But I think the biggest issue is local talent available to them.

From 1969 (when they hired Bo) up to 2004, Michigan rarely went more than a year between B1G titles. In that 36-year span, they had a four-year B1G title drought, a three-year drought, and a two-year drought -- but that's all. Otherwise they won at least a share of a B1G title no less often than every other year.

Michigan will enter 2021 on a sixteen-year B1G title drought, and only six of those years belong to Harbaugh. Part of their problem is PSU is in the mix for titles as well. Part is that the divisions-and-title-game format means no more co-champs. But I think the biggest issue is local talent available to them.

+1000. The "mystique" of Michigan is an over hyped construct by the media...in other words...really legitimate FAKE NEWS.🤣🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: brupsu and psuro
How about dumbmond howard?

Hey, you get Pink Junk as a bonus

rebkah-howard_234000.jpeg

Rock meet hard place?Do not forget jh is a Michigan man and was supposed to be the ultimate choice for them.I almost feel sorry but I just cannot get there without nausea becoming a factor.

And the conspiracy guy in me might be right this time. I said they would screw over Ohio State.
Man would this turn up the flame of hatred about 1000º if they are the reason OSU doesn't make the Championship game or the playoffs.
Edit: Oops sorry replied to the wrong post. 🤦‍♂️

Did Michigan ever really rely on local talent to fill their ranks? Seemed like a lot of their best players were from NJ, Texas, Ohio, PA, etc.

Reactions: Lyons212 and brupsu
And the conspiracy guy in me might be right this time. I said they would screw over Ohio State.
Man would this turn up the flame of hatred about 1000º if they are the reason OSU doesn't make the Championship game or the playoffs.
Edit: Oops sorry replied to the wrong post. 🤦‍♂️

Who decides if OSU qualifies? The B1G? The selection committee? I firmly believe OSU would get an exemption to play in the CFP if Michigan bails.

Reactions: brupsu
Who decides if OSU qualifies? The B1G? The selection committee? I firmly believe OSU would get an exemption to play in the CFP if Michigan bails.

The CFP committee has full say on the final four. The question then becomes how they will go about it with further cancellation(s).

Reactions: BBrown

I thought the rules were already in place that 3 games missed is it. I mean isn't that why Wiscy is out of it?
I think there might be a backdoor with the number of games they won to get into the playoffs. We'll see.
It will be interesting.

I thought the rules were already in place that 3 games missed is it. I mean isn't that why Wiscy is out of it?
I think there might be a backdoor with the number of games they won to get into the playoffs. We'll see.
It will be interesting.

Dunno. I think that would disqualify Wisconsin from the B1G Championship, but if OSU beats MSU and wins the B1G, I think they're in (even with a Michigan cancellation). If the CFP doesn't have a hard and fast rule about number of games played, they can essentially do what they want (which is what they've always done anyway).

Reactions: brupsu
It will be interesting.

Big 10 title game requirements are 6 games minimum unless the average of all games played by all teams in the conference falls below 6. Or something along those lines.

Reactions: BBrown and brupsu
That would be a delicious dilemma please pass the popcorn.There has not been much to cheer for but this could become some fun watching.

If the CFP doesn't have a hard and fast rule about number of games played, they can essentially do what they want (which is what they've always done anyway).

Ohio State has to be the biggest Bama fan right now. Florida beating them in the presumed CCG is the Buckeyes only threat of being left out of the CFP, Big 10 title or not. Cincinnati and BYU aren't getting in. Perhaps the drama expands the playoff for next year. Only positive I can see.

The selection committee isn't bound by number of games. The conference made that stupid rule. But being a conference champ is a tiebreaker, so that could keep tOSU out.

I kind of expected this might happen. Day supposedly said he wanted to hang 100 on Michigan. If Michigan can't play and this prevents Ohio State from getting into the CFP, that should be counted as a win for Harbaugh.

The selection committee isn't bound by number of games. The conference made that stupid rule. But being a conference champ is a tiebreaker, so that could keep tOSU out.

I kind of expected this might happen. Day supposedly said he wanted to hang 100 on Michigan. If Michigan can't play and this prevents Ohio State from getting into the CFP, that should be counted as a win for Harbaugh.

Right?

'Hey Jim, why can't you guys play?'

'Um, COVID?'

Also Jim:

giphy.gif

Did Michigan ever really rely on local talent to fill their ranks? Seemed like a lot of their best players were from NJ, Texas, Ohio, PA, etc.

Ah-hi-ya. In the past, northwest Ohio, the area around Toledo was considered more Michigan than OSU recruiting territory. For whatever reasons. Michigan always seemed to have a higher percentage of its roster from out of state than most Big Ten schools.

Ohio State has to be the biggest Bama fan right now. Florida beating them in the presumed CCG is the Buckeyes only threat of being left out of the CFP, Big 10 title or not. Cincinnati and BYU aren't getting in. Perhaps the drama expands the playoff for next year. Only positive I can see.

I think they need to be a Notre Dame fan as well. They need ND to beat Clemson in the ACC title game and knock them out of the playoffs.

Reactions: djr4rebs
Ah-hi-ya. In the past, northwest Ohio, the area around Toledo was considered more Michigan than OSU recruiting territory. For whatever reasons. Michigan always seemed to have a higher percentage of its roster from out of state than most Big Ten schools.

My recollection as well - Woodson (OH), Law (PA), Breaston (PA), Howard (OH), Carter (FL), Brady (CA), Hart (NY), Harbaugh (OH), Wheatley (LA), Terrell (VA) - and they usually got the top few guys from MI (Woodley, Long, etc.).

My recollection as well - Woodson (OH), Law (PA), Breaston (PA), Howard (OH), Carter (FL), Brady (CA), Hart (NY), Harbaugh (OH), Wheatley (LA), Terrell (VA) - and they usually got the top few guys from MI (Woodley, Long, etc.).

Wheatley is from MI....Anthony Thomas (a RB at UM) was from LA.

I think he goes to the NFL but no way do I think it will be with the Lions.

#1: He needs a QB and Stafford is getting up there in age.
#2: Any time the team flops he will be in the same region as the College Team he couldn't coach at all.

We can hope. But I heard on the radio tonight that he is a name on NFL lists. Jets, lions, Texans, jags?
The Bears have been thrown around as a possible landing spot too, I've heard they were interested in him previously. As a Bears fan I really hope not but the owners have made some perplexing decisions in recent years.

I would hope that Urban Meyer is at least smart enough to decline a job a UTex. Those people are more ruthless and impatient for success than us.

I would hope that Urban Meyer is at least smart enough to decline a job a UTex. Those people are more ruthless and impatient for success than us.

Texas (the state) has 16 players in the 2021 Top 100 (according to Rivals). He would get 85% of those kids and then top players from everywhere else. And all he has to do is beat Oklahoma on the regular to be in the CFP. It’s almost as easy as the USC job would be, but with more money and resources.

Texas (the state) has 16 players in the 2021 Top 100 (according to Rivals). He would get 85% of those kids and then top players from everywhere else. And all he has to do is beat Oklahoma on the regular to be in the CFP. It’s almost as easy as the USC job would be, but with more money and resources.

My observation of 4&5 Star Texas HS players is that most are ....lazy, entitled prima donnas.... without the opera.

Hence why Texas has allegedly had so many great recruiting classes but little to show for it on the field.

I also don’t see how Texas is different than going back to OSU or ND... two jobs he would probably more covet.

Urban would absolutely kill it in Texas, if we thought he was good at OSU he'd be on another level at Texas. Pretty much unlimited finances and unlimited talent.

Urban would absolutely kill it in Texas, if we thought he was good at OSU he'd be on another level at Texas. Pretty much unlimited finances and unlimited talent.
Agree but, unlike the phony heart stuff at Florida, his cyst issues are real this time. His family insists that he's done with coaching - especially his wife Shelley. But, you're correct, he wouldn't even have to leave Texas to put together NC type talent. Oklahoma can't be liking the Urban - Texas talk

ADVERTISEMENT