ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: You're the Michigan AD - what do you do about Harbaugh?

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Prior to the start of this year Jimmy was the only Power 5 coach with less than two years left on a contract (believe he has one year left on his - highest in the B1G and top four in the country). His record speaks for itself:

According to The Michigan Daily, Harbaugh apparently had to instruct his team on the bench to cheer when wide receiver AJ Henning made one of the only highlight plays of the day for the Wolverines in the 27-17 loss to Penn State.

Just some universally bad stuff going on at Michigan. I know a lot of folks are ready for the Franklin era to end, but he's not going anywhere because he can bust out multiple 11 win seasons, the NY6 Bowls, one B1G Championship, and at least one win over Ohio State - something Jimmah can't do.

So, what do you do? Lots of talk Jimmy could bolt back to the NFL, which I think would be the cleanest break from Michigan - they both would save some face there. If not, Michigan has to either a) renew his contract, b) not renew his contract and have Jimmy flapping in the wind his final year, or c) fire him (and I can't imagine they will do that). Michigan fans are already on the Matt Campbell bandwagon, but I don't see it. What would you do?

Reactions: brupsu and N&B4PSU
A or C...need to take a stand one way or another

you let him flap in the wind (B), you screw recruiting. Who wants to commit to a coach that you don’t know if he’ll be there or not.

as Much as I’d love to see him stay forever, they either have to fire him after this season and bring someone in immediately (who, I dunno), or have an amicable break. Keeping him won’t fix a thing, and letting his contract expire leaves them with uncertainty.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
Would another NFL team take a chance on him?? A lot has changed in the NFL since 2014 and his performance at Michigan wouldn't generate much pro interest if it were anyone else.

absolutely! 3 of 4 NFCCG’s, 1 SB, 1 AP coach of the year. Yeah it’s different now than it was in 14 but the big things don’t change in the NFL from a player/personnel aspect. Still a league with no recruiting and professionals at every level.

Reactions: bison13
Prior to the start of this year Jimmy was the only Power 5 coach with less than two years left on a contract (believe he has one year left on his - highest in the B1G and top four in the country). His record speaks for itself:

According to The Michigan Daily, Harbaugh apparently had to instruct his team on the bench to cheer when wide receiver AJ Henning made one of the only highlight plays of the day for the Wolverines in the 27-17 loss to Penn State.

Just some universally bad stuff going on at Michigan. I know a lot of folks are ready for the Franklin era to end, but he's not going anywhere because he can bust out multiple 11 win seasons, the NY6 Bowls, one B1G Championship, and at least one win over Ohio State - something Jimmah can't do.

So, what do you do? Lots of talk Jimmy could bolt back to the NFL, which I think would be the cleanest break from Michigan - they both would save some face there. If not, Michigan has to either a) renew his contract, b) not renew his contract and have Jimmy flapping in the wind his final year, or c) fire him (and I can't imagine they will do that). Michigan fans are already on the Matt Campbell bandwagon, but I don't see it. What would you do?

Do not renew his contract.

He will be hired by the Lions Is my guess.

LdN

I wouldn’t really let this fake season effect my decision on him one way or the other. If you’re going to get rid of him you should have gotten rid of him before this season. If this season is your reason for getting rid of him, you should keep him.

Reactions: BBrown
Probably one of the most perplexing coaching situations I’ve seen. Based on what he did at San Diego, Stanford and San Francisco I thought it was as close to a home run hire as you could get.

Structurally I kind of think it is over for Michigan.

Just not enough talent in their area. Too many teams vying for that talent.

Ohio State not having any decline.

LdN

Reactions: VaLion'92

He is a Michigan man in the mold of Schembechler. I think Michigan should be happy to have him for the next 10 years.

LdN

That's been a problem for PSU as well. Look at the top kids in PA these days, compared to the '70s, '80s, and '90s. It's an issue. Now, Penn State missing out on some of the talented players in the state of PA is another issue. But the bottom line is CJF and the staff really don't have a choice but to continue to recruit hard in the mid Atantic and other 'regional' areas. Really difficult to do so during Covid when many of these out-of-state kids may never have set foot on campus, compared to an in-state kid whose been to countless PSU games and/or summer camps on campus.

That's been a problem for PSU as well. Look at the top kids in PA these days, compared to the '70s, '80s, and '90s. It's an issue. Now, Penn State missing out on some of the talented players in the state of PA is another issue. But the bottom line is CJF and the staff really don't have a choice but to continue to recruit hard in the mid Atantic and other 'regional' areas. Really difficult to do so during Covid when many of these out-of-state kids may never have set foot on campus, compared to an in-state kid whose been to countless PSU games and/or summer camps on campus.

Yeah. But on the other hand we have only one natural competitor in Ohio State for local talent.

And our area extends to Virginia DC and NJ.

But of course all northern schools have the same issues... just PSU much less so.

LdN

Reactions: VaLion'92
Would another NFL team take a chance on him?? A lot has changed in the NFL since 2014 and his performance at Michigan wouldn't generate much pro interest if it were anyone else.
Have you seen the jets play this year:)

Yeah. But on the other hand we have only one natural competitor in Ohio State for local talent.

And our area extends to Virginia DC and NJ.

But of course all northern schools have the same issues... just PSU much less so.

LdN

Ohio State and, more recently, Clemson.

he'll be extended. It's basically a done deal, just waiting to announce.

Not sure why they do it..he will want a raise even though his resume speaks to pay cut. You really want to commit millions to JH, if UM? You will miss out on some good coaches if they wait to shed him.

They kept harping on it yesterday... like the nfl will come running (herd mentality if not herd-like) to jimmah becuz he used to be a good coach. I dunno.... after watching that shitshow he's been orchestrating i'd be wary of how my fans would react to his hiring... and of how my team would perform under him. [He's the reason many of us armchair warriors are certain we can coach in cfb or the nfl... we're wrong, but the JH's keep us thinking....]

I suppose someone will offer... much as DP isn't my fave eagles coach, i'll keep any day over JH.

I think he is in a bad state Michigan with the covid restrictions, recruiting restrictions, fan pressure. His heart is probably leaning to the NFL, and i wouldn't blame him.

They should sign him to a 10 year deal. They ALL wanted a lifetime contract for him a few years ago. 10 years is a compromise and the rest of the college football world would love the entertainment it brings each year. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: dailybuck777
D. Hope some team some where makes him an offer he can't refuse. Har-bumm saves face. UM moves on.
We have our own problems...why worry about Michigan? Harbaugh has more wins than us this year. And as much as I dislike Harbaugh, his record at Stanford and SF is stellar. Mystifying he has done so relatively poor at Michigan. But he has ubdeachived at Ann Arbor. Sometimes it is just time for a change? But I will allow the Michiganders to worry about that.

LdN
I don't know that this is the issue. Michigan is a national program, so I don't think they are tied to the talent in the Michigan area.

Sometimes the courtship is much better than the marriage. Until this season, Harbaugh's results have been very good (they've been so everywhere he's been) just not great. Imagine a fan base that expects elite, only attaining very good?
Those who think Jim Harbaugh will be collecting unemployment are crazy. The NFL will be there or perhaps another college program in the near future.
I'll bet that at this point Jim wants a divorce as much as anyone in the marriage. I think his agents will entertain NFL offers quietly......Michigan and Harbaugh will part friends.
Jim Harbaugh went into this job with all the best intentions. Despite all the effort here to paint him as some kind of clown, I believe he has extended every effort to succeed. Sometimes the best laid plans.....perhaps Michigan Fans.....as well as PSU Fans need to accept that OSU has the keys to the luxury vehicle at the moment and for the near future. LOL

Reactions: 87 Penn St8

Fans are always on the next bandwagon. Rich Rod, Hoak, Harbaugh.

Reactions: marshall23

I guess I don't understand why the NFL would even want him back? He's just not that good.
I hope Michy keeps him.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

I think Jimmah stays ( I hope so) and Gattis is gone. Although if I were a Michy fan I'd be firing up the torches for Don Brown as well. Ok I would have been doing it sooner but the media keeps trying to convince me he's good.🤷‍♂️

HairBall will go to the pros and be replaced by Urban Meyer or Tom Brady.

ADVERTISEMENT