ADVERTISEMENT

fc OT what do you think of OK State's AD comments on Gundy's recruiting?

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
I am not sure how I would take this if I were HC, that said, I know how I would take this if Sandy told this to CJF.....

Ask any coaching staff in the country if they’re keeping track where their targets stand in the Rivals, 247, or ESPN recruiting rankings and you’re bound to get a resounding “No” across the board.

However, Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder sees things a bit differently, as is evident from his comments on the Pistols Firing podcastearlier this week. Holder didn’t hold back when he said that he’d like to see better results from Gundy and his staff on the recruiting trail.

Here’s a run down of Holder’s comments:

“You’ve got to credit Mike Gundy. He’s really matured into a difference-maker as a coach. I would approach recruiting a little differently than he does.”

Sponsored By Connatix
“I’d want to finish higher in those recruiting rankings than we consistently do. I think that ultimately puts a ceiling on what you’re able to achieve.”

“We do a great job of overcoming that with Rob Glass down in the weight room, and I think our coaches do a great job of disciplining and motivating and channeling what talent we have in the right direction. I just think we would be better served with a few more James Washington’s coming in the front door. You know, he came in as a two-star or three-star and left a five-star. We need to take some of those five-stars and turn them into seven-stars, which I think Rob Glass could do, and I think Mike Gundy could as well.”

“I’m patting them on the back at the same time I’m challenging them to get out there and do a little bit more recruiting. Recruiting’s the most important thing we do, and you’re only as good as your athletes.”

The Oklahoma State program has pumped a lot of money into their facilities over the past decade to make it one of the most state-of-the-art facilities in college football. Their recruiting classes may not be ranked in the top 25 year in and year out, but Gundy and his staff have taken the talent they’ve brought in and develop them as well as anyone in the country, as is evidenced by their four ten-win seasons in the past five years, and numerous draft picks that came in as two or three-star athletes and left as NFL Draft picks, like wide receiver James Washington.

If you’re wondering what Gundy has to say about the whole thing…

upon further review and finding out Mike Holder was a golf coach, I think I'd give him a weggie...

It’s never a great look (especially in a media-crazed CFB landscape) for an AD to say anything other than praise for the job his head football coach is doing in any aspect. It’s definitely a risk for an AD to make comments that could be perceived as critical about a popular, alumnus head coach like Gundy.

That said, the AD is right. Recruiting absolutely establishes your program’s ceiling, and if you aren’t consistently finishing in the top 10-15, your talent ceiling is almost certainly below the threshold needed to win a national championship.

Not sure what his goal was. As an AD, when in front of the mic, you have to use every word as a way to advance the cause. Perhaps a comment about how Gundy has helped win games and improve the facilities was in order. What he did was call his coach a bad recruiter and the current kids lower class players. Most five star kids want to play in the NFL...if the AD comes out from time to time and implies they aren't as athletic, that isn't good.

And, Gundy is a highly sought after coach. He can step into the next top flight opening at any time. I am sure that Gundy would be telling the AD that the AD and lack of long standing tradition is an impediment. How many HS players dream of playing for Okie state growing up?

wow what school does this guy think hes at?
he should be worshiping his coach and instead hes going around whining?
now i hope gundy leaves for a better job so i can watch the program die on this guys watch
its amazing how many clueless people there are that luck into incredible success

Reactions: Nitt1300
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT