ADVERTISEMENT

fc ot step in the right direction? NFL banning college playes with sexual assult convictions

Does a move like this put pressure on university's to avoid pursuing domestic violence allegations made by young women?...an unintended consequence if you will?

the article states "convictions" not allegations. But the accused will often plea bargain down to a misdemeanor from a felony just to get it over. Wonder what is the definition of that is? What if the case hasn't run it's course?

Love it that a UM guy is on the cover...could have been their LT and FG kicker too.

Does a move like this put pressure on university's to avoid pursuing domestic violence allegations made by young women?...an unintended consequence if you will?
That is a concern for sure. However, could it get much worse than it is already is? On first glance I would say that the NFL should've done this awhile ago so I'm all for it-neither college offenders nor current players convicted of these crimes should be allowed to play in the league.

That is a concern for sure. However, could it get much worse than it is already is? On first glance I would say that the NFL should've done this awhile ago so I'm all for it-neither college offenders nor current players convicted of these crimes should be allowed to play in the league.

Well....we all have to consider if a conviction is a punishment or a rehabilitation. Giving someone a lifetime ban often seems like it is counterproductive. Why try and get better?

For me, I'd like the NFL to get out of the law enforcement business. I think it a player is in jail or on probation they can't play. That way, the courts decide; the nfl is out of it.

Well....we all have to consider if a conviction is a punishment or a rehabilitation. Giving someone a lifetime ban often seems like it is counterproductive. Why try and get better?

For me, I'd like the NFL to get out of the law enforcement business. I think it a player is in jail or on probation they can't play. That way, the courts decide; the nfl is out of it.
The NFL isn't putting them in jail and if becoming a decent human being isn't enough motivation to get you to rehabilitate you're probably a lost cause. Being in football might be what hinders rehabilitation. If Manziel broke his girlfriends eardrum with a punch then doing something else with your life that doesn't include having an oversized ego is probably the way to go. There is too much rape and domestic violence associated with football through all levels including super bowl Sunday and all the human trafficking associated with the event, this is really just a simple step, and the NFL is too visible to sit back and do nothing about their own business. They aren't saying you can't do anything with your life, they're saying you can't play in our league.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
We love Football because it's a great sport to watch, and we are PSU fans ( or most of us anyway) because we like the idea that you have to do things with integrity. I don't think Joe, at least that I know of, ever recruited a player out of HS who he knew or heard of being involved in something like that. That was his choice because of how he envisioned his program. I think he saw it as a responsibility as well as just a good thing to do. He left the Switzers and sherills of the world to recruit whoever the hell they wanted. I think the NFL, that has such a visual presence in the US has a similar right to recruit the players it wants in its league. Can you imagine if Greg Hardy, who is a great football player won the super bowl mvp after turning his wife's face to hamburger? How he is in the NFL after doing 10 times what ray rice did is beyond me. But overall I just think it's the right msg for the NFL to send.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT