ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Podcast recommendation.... Slow Burn.

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Even though this will almost certainly devolve into a political debate (which isn't my intent), I wanted to share a podcast I recently discovered called 'Slow Burn', whose current season (S2) is about the Clinton/Lewinsky affair and subsequent impeachment. I'm only halfway through episode one but it's really engrossing. Interviews with lots of key players and a real unraveling of everything going on at the time (Paula Jones deposition, Whitewater, and then, Lewinsky). I was just out of Penn State at the time and mostly apolitical. Don't recall much about impeachment proceedings or hearings other than 'cigar' and 'define 'the'', but even in the first 20 minutes of the podcast I've learned so many new, and interesting things about the entire situation I'm very anxious to dive deeper.

Anyway, it's a really engrossing podcast thus far and worth checking out. Additionally, Season 1 was dedicated to the Nixon/Watergate scandal, but I think I'll try that out later.

Larson-SlowBurnSeason2.jpg

From The New Yorker...

Neyfakh is a gifted and trustworthy storyteller, with a gently wry tone; the details in his writing are lightly comic and well chosen, evincing empathy and amazement. As we meet Lewinsky, it’s January 16, 1998, and she is a twenty-four-year-old former White House intern. (Lewinsky did not participate in the podcast.) She’s waiting to meet a friend from work, Linda Tripp, for lunch in the food court of “a typical suburban mall, brightly lit, with a movie theatre, a Macy’s, and white tiles on the floor,” Neyfakh says. Lewinsky has come from the gym, and she’s still dressed in workout clothes. Her affair with Clinton, which lasted for about eighteen months, consumes her thoughts, and she has confided about the relationship to Tripp. She sees Tripp coming toward her, down an escalator, and Tripp gestures to some men behind her, in dark suits and carrying badges. The men tell Lewinsky that they are F.B.I. agents, “and that the Attorney General of the United States had authorized a criminal investigation into her actions,” Neyfakh says. Then they take her to a nearby Ritz-Carlton, where two men from the office of the independent counsel Ken Starr clarify the stakes: twenty-seven years in prison, for lying on an affidavit in which she denied a relationship with Clinton.

Even though this will almost certainly devolve into a political debate (which isn't my intent), I wanted to share a podcast I recently discovered called 'Slow Burn', whose current season (S2) is about the Clinton/Lewinsky affair and subsequent impeachment. I'm only halfway through episode one but it's really engrossing. Interviews with lots of key players and a real unraveling of everything going on at the time (Paula Jones deposition, Whitewater, and then, Lewinsky). I was just out of Penn State at the time and mostly apolitical. Don't recall much about impeachment proceedings or hearings other than 'cigar' and 'define 'the'', but even in the first 20 minutes of the podcast I've learned so many new, and interesting things about the entire situation I'm very anxious to dive deeper.

Anyway, it's a really engrossing podcast thus far and worth checking out. Additionally, Season 1 was dedicated to the Nixon/Watergate scandal, but I think I'll try that out later.

Larson-SlowBurnSeason2.jpg

From The New Yorker...

Neyfakh is a gifted and trustworthy storyteller, with a gently wry tone; the details in his writing are lightly comic and well chosen, evincing empathy and amazement. As we meet Lewinsky, it’s January 16, 1998, and she is a twenty-four-year-old former White House intern. (Lewinsky did not participate in the podcast.) She’s waiting to meet a friend from work, Linda Tripp, for lunch in the food court of “a typical suburban mall, brightly lit, with a movie theatre, a Macy’s, and white tiles on the floor,” Neyfakh says. Lewinsky has come from the gym, and she’s still dressed in workout clothes. Her affair with Clinton, which lasted for about eighteen months, consumes her thoughts, and she has confided about the relationship to Tripp. She sees Tripp coming toward her, down an escalator, and Tripp gestures to some men behind her, in dark suits and carrying badges. The men tell Lewinsky that they are F.B.I. agents, “and that the Attorney General of the United States had authorized a criminal investigation into her actions,” Neyfakh says. Then they take her to a nearby Ritz-Carlton, where two men from the office of the independent counsel Ken Starr clarify the stakes: twenty-seven years in prison, for lying on an affidavit in which she denied a relationship with Clinton.
Thanks...I'll be watching football, baseball and the PGA Championship. :)

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
"It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

You sold me... I'll queue this up this weekend. If you are into listening to books on Audible check out the book "The Case Against Sugar". It will scare the hell out of you.

Thinking of getting Audible - is it worth it? How does it work? Just buy books?

Let me know what you think of the podcast - really digging it so far!

Thinking of getting Audible - is it worth it? How does it work? Just buy books?

Let me know what you think of the podcast - really digging it so far!

I really like it. You can sometimes catch a deal at $14.95 a month. Gives you literally thousands of book options. However it's one of those things you have to use regularly to get your money's worth. With all my travel I am findings books on tape are a more relaxing way to send time than watching a video on a 5 inch screen.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
ADVERTISEMENT