ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Pennsylvania Priests to Sandusky - 'Hold my beer...'

Well let's look up what can you do as a priest. Can you marry? Can you bone a woman? Can ya get a BJ?

Umm No

Look at the overwhelming majority in terms of age.

A certain lifestyle didnt really carry much weight until recently. Back in the day what type of career can you be lavished with money and respectability and still never address wheaher you are hetero or not?

Just a f'ed up theory on what attacks them to the club.
I think this is looking at it the wrong way. Catholicism, actually Christianity, makes some moral claims on behavior, including sexuality. In our time, you are free to accept or reject these claims. If you don’t believe them, you have no business considering the priesthood.
I consider this ultimately the result of unbelief. To the bishops, cardinals and possibly popes who ignored this behavior, the only logical explanation is that they don’t believe the faith they claim to uphold.

2 of the very worst offenders were 'friends' with my family. A large Catholic one. My parents would loan out their trailer for CYO events to them. My old mother is horrified at what that implies.

I have a brother whom has not come out about this but I know he was abused. He certainly has some big issues I think were not helped by this. To any whom have a hard time believing this , from someone very much in the know, it was/ maybe still is ??? all too real. I went to 13 years of Catholic school . I have dealt with many dysfunctional priests and nuns along the way. I only ended up trying to choke one nun who physically abused me. You all can keep your Catholicism.

Name a profession that has more private access to young boys than a priest.
Female teachers you dumb ass... In the 60's I can account for a few of my athletic friends having "access" to young female teachers. My close friends, not the other guys that I wasn't close with. Seriously gentleman, sexual prevision isn't limited to an organization, we as a society are immersed in it.

Last edited:
The priest at the church I grew up in is also on the list. He was very involved in the youth group of which I took part, and several of my friends were altar boys (not aware of any of them being abused).
He was a really great guy to be honest.
Fr. Sal Luzzi (St Joes in Warren PA)
I grew in Warren. Graduated in 1992. You?

12 years of catholic school and never heard of anything going on. Maybe because I was one of six kids who always were together and looked out for each other. Our father constantly preached to us ... watch out for your brothers and sisters. And my mom was a hawk .... do not mess with momma bear!

I grew up in the Allentown Diocese. One guy on the list I knew pretty well. Never anything hinky with me but there were always rumors. Another guy was a very well known pervert - everybody, and I mean everybody - knew the guy was bent.

There are a slew of priests, a few active, a lot retired, many deceased - who I admired greatly and still do. Thankfully none of them are on any list.

I think Allentown has had more problems than many, partially because we've had exceptionally mediocre bishops. It's a backwater diocese - so naturally, we get the losers and leftovers. No strong leadership to keep the rank and file in line and take strong actions when needed.

When I was in high school, there was a pastor in a little podunk coal region town. He was a huge guy, 6'4" or so and as obese as all hell. He would celebrate Mass once in a while at school. He loved to give bullying sermons and go off on tangents - he had a great diatribe on Billy Joel's "Only The Good Die Young". Years later he's in Allentown and gets busted by the APD Vice Squad for soliciting male prostitutes on Hamilton Street at 0300. I LOL'd at the fat bastard.

What I'm not LOL about is @Ranger Dan comments which are out of line and I resent them greatly.

I'm Catholic till the day I croak. Much like Penn State, I'm just too stubborn to let them run me off, try as they might.

I think this is looking at it the wrong way. Catholicism, actually Christianity, makes some moral claims on behavior, including sexuality. In our time, you are free to accept or reject these claims. If you don’t believe them, you have no business considering the priesthood.
I consider this ultimately the result of unbelief. To the bishops, cardinals and possibly popes who ignored this behavior, the only logical explanation is that they don’t believe the faith they claim to uphold.

as someone who has intimate knowledge of the church and its workings, spent much time from being an alter boy, being very involved serving on church boards. Have gotten a private tour of the Vatican and used to be close to a few high ranking archbishops. I stand bye my statement. And I know a few on the list.

also if one doesn't believe in the church and its morals, they must have a reason to consider it? So why would a non believe be attracted in your mind? The guise of no marriage and celebrity gives them a cover. Also an attraction is that they believe that they are flawed and they serve a lifelong of penance. yes, there are those that believe that.

I grew up in the Allentown Diocese. One guy on the list I knew pretty well. Never anything hinky with me but there were always rumors. Another guy was a very well known pervert - everybody, and I mean everybody - knew the guy was bent.

There are a slew of priests, a few active, a lot retired, many deceased - who I admired greatly and still do. Thankfully none of them are on any list.

I think Allentown has had more problems than many, partially because we've had exceptionally mediocre bishops. It's a backwater diocese - so naturally, we get the losers and leftovers. No strong leadership to keep the rank and file in line and take strong actions when needed.

When I was in high school, there was a pastor in a little podunk coal region town. He was a huge guy, 6'4" or so and as obese as all hell. He would celebrate Mass once in a while at school. He loved to give bullying sermons and go off on tangents - he had a great diatribe on Billy Joel's "Only The Good Die Young". Years later he's in Allentown and gets busted by the APD Vice Squad for soliciting male prostitutes on Hamilton Street at 0300. I LOL'd at the fat bastard.

What I'm not LOL about is @Ranger Dan comments which are out of line and I resent them greatly.

I'm Catholic till the day I croak. Much like Penn State, I'm just too stubborn to let them run me off, try as they might.

our bishops have sucked plain and simple and i believe i know the dude in allentown you are talking about on Hamilton

edit: know i don't thinking of someone else

our bishops have sucked plain and simple and i believe i know the dude in allentown you are talking about on Hamilton

edit: know i don't thinking of someone else
What the hell, it's public record, he deserved to be outed. Forish.

As a general rule I greatly dislike bishops. They have no trouble flapping their gums on political questions, but when it comes to dealing with criminal acts by their priests, well, cat got their tongue.

St. John Chrysostom said, 'The road to hell is paved with the skulls of bishops'. He knew of what he spoke.

as someone who has intimate knowledge of the church and its workings, spent much time from being an alter boy, being very involved serving on church boards. Have gotten a private tour of the Vatican and used to be close to a few high ranking archbishops. I stand bye my statement. And I know a few on the list.

also if one doesn't believe in the church and its morals, they must have a reason to consider it? So why would a non believe be attracted in your mind? The guise of no marriage and celebrity gives them a cover. Also an attraction is that they believe that they are flawed and they serve a lifelong of penance. yes, there are those that believe that.
Especially in the West, I believe the priesthood has come to be considered as a lifestyle and career option by some, probably in large part because of same sex attraction. It provides an avenue for respect and access to sex as well as sex with minors in some cases.
I am sure you are aware in the Church that unmarried priests are more of a pragmatic than dogmatic tradition. It is hard to be a good priest or a good husband. It’s probably close to impossible to be a good priest and a good husband at the same time. But there are already married priests in the Catholic Church. One big reason for celibacy was to prevent bishop offices from becoming family businesses.

As a general rule I greatly dislike bishops. They have no trouble flapping their gums on political questions, but when it comes to dealing with criminal acts by their priests, well, cat got their tongue.

St. John Chrysostom said, 'The road to hell is paved with the skulls of bishops'. He knew of what he spoke.
Where did you go to high school if you don’t mind sharing?

oh forish? car accident my ass! his arrest happened out west ... Mcadoo priest

Last edited:
Especially in the West, I believe the priesthood has come to be considered as a lifestyle and career option by some, probably in large part because of same sex attraction. It provides an avenue for respect and access to sex as well as sex with minors in some cases..

did i not say that in the original post that you disagreed with it ... and you say has become it was that way in the 40's

think you need to re-read the original post where i say lavish/career/respect and cover

I am also Catholic. Honestly, I am not and never have been Catholic because of the priests. I am Catholic because of the beliefs the church is based upon.
That said, this whole thing is disgusting and embarrassing.

The sheer number of deviant priests is appalling while The Church providing cover knowingly for decades is inexplicably abhorrent. This SIN is the primary cause of my loss of faith in the Catholic Church.

So are any of these cases old enough that they would have been in front of Corbett as the AG and he did nothing?

2 of the very worst offenders were 'friends' with my family. A large Catholic one. My parents would loan out their trailer for CYO events to them. My old mother is horrified at what that implies.

I have a brother whom has not come out about this but I know he was abused. He certainly has some big issues I think were not helped by this. To any whom have a hard time believing this , from someone very much in the know, it was/ maybe still is ??? all too real. I went to 13 years of Catholic school . I have dealt with many dysfunctional priests and nuns along the way. I only ended up trying to choke one nun who physically abused me. You all can keep your Catholicism.
There are more perverts than priests that don't follow any religious doctrine. Suck it up snowflake!

Reactions: step.eng69

I'm sincerely sorry that I offended you. As I said, I have treasured friends and family that I love that are devout Catholics. I do not think ill of these individuals. That said, the catholic church is self serving and despicable.

They didn't just ignore the behavior, they actively covered it up.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
A Pennsylvania GJ could convict a ham sandwich of taking a crap on the sidewalk, that's why most states have dropped them, despite what the idiots Shuttlesworth and Jockstrap John spew out.

Is Andrea DiMorphio bemoaning the priests on PennLive?

Reactions: jim cummings
A Pennsylvania GJ could convict a ham sandwich of taking a crap on the sidewalk, that's why most states have dropped them, despite what the idiots Shuttlesworth and Jockstrap John spew out.

Is Andrea DiMorphio bemoaning the priests on PennLive?
Are you saying the priests all have been framed like Jerry? Makes sense. :rolleyes:

You recognize in your early 20's that you are attracted to young boys sexually. Name a profession that has more private access to young boys than a priest. That is why. If you are a pedophile, you look for a profession or way to get access in a setting that you cannot get caught. that isn't being an auto mechanic or an accountant. To be honest, after the JS scandal, I now look at some people that I see in certain positions in jobs around kids and wonder myself sometimes about them.

Oh ok now I get it.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
three thoughts:

1. I often wonder if troubled people are drawn to the priesthood (and other leadership positions) because of their internal conflicts. I would imagine these desires are somewhat in line with being a drug addict: You know its wrong but just can't stop. So, in some way, you feel dedicating your live to servant leadership is a way out, but you relapse and cannot stop.
  2. The church, and any religious vessel, is just humans doing human things. Don't confuse religiosity with the specific religion. I can love PSU football, for example, while a hate the drum major (I don't).
  3. This is a press release about grand juries and prosecutors. Like we saw with PSU, these things are often blown out of proportion. This is a list of claims. I am sure many are true, but many are probably untrue. And, as we also know, dead people cannot defend themselves. Many good religious leaders are like firemen; they run into the disaster, not away from it. And, they are often consumed as a result. I've worked with at-risk kids and stopped because I saw many good people's reputations ruined. The system must take all claims seriously, but in doing so, often damage the innocent.
In the end, hard to know what, or whom, to believe anymore.

three thoughts:

1. I often wonder if troubled people are drawn to the priesthood (and other leadership positions) because of their internal conflicts. I would imagine these desires are somewhat in line with being a drug addict: You know its wrong but just can't stop. So, in some way, you feel dedicating your live to servant leadership is a way out, but you relapse and cannot stop.
  2. The church, and any religious vessel, is just humans doing human things. Don't confuse religiosity with the specific religion. I can love PSU football, for example, while a hate the drum major (I don't).
  3. This is a press release about grand juries and prosecutors. Like we saw with PSU, these things are often blown out of proportion. This is a list of claims. I am sure many are true, but many are probably untrue. And, as we also know, dead people cannot defend themselves. Many good religious leaders are like firemen; they run into the disaster, not away from it. And, they are often consumed as a result. I've worked with at-risk kids and stopped because I saw many good people's reputations ruined. The system must take all claims seriously, but in doing so, often damage the innocent.
In the end, hard to know what, or whom, to believe anymore.

I'm not sure how you can conclude that alter boys or some majority were at risk kids. I guess in some areas maybe they are, but many were probably from 2 parent households. One of the victims was on the news this morning and he must be close to 60 years old, not in financial hardship, and seemed very coherent. Most catholic schools also cost money to attend. Will there be false claims, sure, but there is a ton of smoke and has been now for decades there inside this church. I think parents today are a bit more in tune with this notion and know not to let their kids be alone with coaches, priests, and teachers if at all possible.

Reactions: Judge Smails
The sheer number of deviant priests is appalling while The Church providing cover knowingly for decades is inexplicably abhorrent. This SIN is the primary cause of my loss of faith in the Catholic Church.

I absolutely get it. As I said, it’s not the people of the church that I am dedicated to it is what the church is built upon.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
So are any of these cases old enough that they would have been in front of Corbett as the AG and he did nothing?

Who cares about Corbett to be honest. Allegations in this report go back 50 years, and most are at least 20 years old. Virtually all of this stuff happened before Corbett was AG, and the vast majority of these allegations weren’t reported to any law enforcement official, much mess AG involvement.

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
I am also Catholic. Honestly, I am not and never have been Catholic because of the priests. I am Catholic because of the beliefs the church is based upon.
That said, this whole thing is disgusting and embarrassing.

Most likely, you're Catholic because you were born into a Catholic family. If you were born in Pakistan, you'd most likely be a Sunni Muslim. If you were born in India, you'd most likely be a Hindu. Most people's devout beliefs stem from what they were told as gullible little children.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Most likely, you're Catholic because you were born into a Catholic family. If you were born in Pakistan, you'd most likely be a Sunni Muslim. If you were born in India, you'd most likely be a Hindu. Most people's devout beliefs stem from what they were told as gullible little children.
I was born into a Catholic family. Then in my early 20s I walked away from religion to try to get a better grasp on my beliefs. I then came back to Catholicism. I wouldn’t doubt at all that upbringing had something to do with me returning to the faith, but it wasn’t a blind decision in my part.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Hey ChiTown, do you know Wendy? She keeps retweeting Strozek tweets and I don't think she realizes that it is a parody account. CNN's editor got caught on this the other day. I like Wendy and that is just embarrassing.
Trying to turn a blind eye to most political banter. Last thing we need is politics dividing our Penn State community.

ADVERTISEMENT