ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Papa John's founder out as Chairman and louisville trustee

Someone clearly wanted him out. This was held back since May... he must have made someone angry lately.
I imagine his arrogance has grown to the point he was impossible to work with.

LdN
totally agree. had to be an inside job. he used the n-word which, as all white people should know by now, to never say regardless the circumstances. And I know he didn't call anyone the n-word, but with his outspoken resistance to the Kaepernek kneeling crowd, is a really bad look. Lots of smoke here, on this guy....if I was a share-holder, I'd be looking to shelve this guy for good.

I wonder if Payton Manning called him and told him to "rub some dirt on it."

Reactions: BBrown
totally agree. had to be an inside job. he used the n-word which, as all white people should know by now, to never say regardless the circumstances. And I know he didn't call anyone the n-word, but with his outspoken resistance to the Kaepernek kneeling crowd, is a really bad look. Lots of smoke here, on this guy....if I was a share-holder, I'd be looking to shelve this guy for good.

I wonder if Payton Manning called him and told him to "rub some dirt on it."
if I were a share-holder I'd be looking for an exit strategy at this time.

if I were a share-holder I'd be looking for an exit strategy at this time.
Too late! The dude resigned so that is a done deal. The damage has already been done to the stock. If I am Papa John's, I am ready to hire the most prominent black athlete to fill in for Peyton Manning that I can find. How about a RB for the Giants? I think his number is 26.

Too late! The dude resigned so that is a done deal. The damage has already been done to the stock. If I am Papa John's, I am ready to hire the most prominent black athlete to fill in for Peyton Manning that I can find. How about a RB for the Giants? I think his number is 26.
no now it is a slow death, when the original entrepreneur leaves the company he build, its time to leave as well, at least for now.

Reactions: Obliviax

How about they just make a pizza thats good? That would be a great start.

Lets see....they need to hire McKenzie to do a one-year analysis...they need to get a committee of 55 people...most of which are on vacation over the summer...then they need to do a case study followed by a pilot project.....perhaps in the year 2025......

zume-pizzas-robot-spreads-sauce-on-an-unfinished-pie.gif

They don’t care about making pizza that can compete with any we’d like. It was an improvement of the dominos model (minus the 30-minute roadkill promise) selling boatloads to a market that’s looking for cheap and convenient. The pizza was just the widget. If the numbers work selling crap, then hooray! Look at those numbers!

They don’t care about making pizza that can compete with any we’d like. It was an improvement of the dominos model (minus the 30-minute roadkill promise) selling boatloads to a market that’s looking for cheap and convenient. The pizza was just the widget. If the numbers work selling crap, then hooray! Look at those numbers!

DiGornio is better than Pappa Johns and Domino's has really improved the quality of their pizza.

A native New Yorker (or someone from America's good pizza homeland - i.e. northeastern seaboard) should never shill for bad pizza. No amount of money should convince you. Peyton Manning didn’t know any better being for Louisiana.

It’s similar to a Philadelphia athlete like Ryan Howard shilling for subway. At least he had an excuse that he was a native Midwesterner and has no clue about what a hoagie should really taste like.

DiGornio is better than Pappa Johns and Domino's has really improved the quality of their pizza.
Agreed on DiGiorno. I haven’t tried Dominos this millennium but I trust it’s improved. Had to compete with PJs who was eating their lunch. So between faster, better & cheaper, there was only one choice. Faster was off the table (they tried). And tight margins wouldn’t likely allow cheaper to make much difference.
Glad to hear about dominos. Brings back happy memories of days gone by.

PJ? I guess I vaguely remember some very drunken chapelle watching over a few of their slices...

I hate all the corporate pizza companies. I patronize local pizzerias, Ruffino’s and Biaggio’s.
EPC, Is crossroads hotel I Hellertown still making excellent pizza? That was among my faves.

A native New Yorker (or someone from America's good pizza homeland - i.e. northeastern seaboard) should never shill for bad pizza. No amount of money should convince you. Peyton Manning didn’t know any better being for Louisiana.

It’s similar to a Philadelphia athlete like Ryan Howard shilling for subway. At least he had an excuse that he was a native Midwesterner and has no clue about what a hoagie should really taste like.
CT to North Jersey. Excellent pizza homeland!

Geez, all this typing about pizza is making me hungry. I’m out.

I eat Papa John some because I keep winning free pizzas at Blue Jackets games... Free is good.

Manning grew up in New Orleans where there is some pretty good pizza. But like the rest of his family, he's a whore.

University of Louisville has a little bit of a problem on their hands. Their football stadium is named after him.

From the article the OP linked:

"Schnatter remains prominently linked to the school through Papa John's Cardinal Stadium. In a complicated arrangement, the school's deal is with Schnatter himself, not the Papa John's brand, and provides that if he leaves the company, Schnatter can rename the building. His current deal with the university runs through 2040."

I'll just post here something I posted on another board:

I have to think that if you boycotted every restaurant that's had someone do something monumentally stupid,
about the only place you could eat would be at home--and you might even have to boycott yourself.

Kinda like Groucho's "I'm not sure I'd want to be a member of a club that would accept me as a member"..or
something like that....

You didn't go far south enough. South Jersey has some really good pizza joints.
No question. Some excellent ones. But walking in the door of an unknown (to me), my expectations are highest closer to New Haven and NYC.

I always laughed at the "Better Ingredients, Better Pizza" slogan. Better than what? Pizza Hut? Little Caesar's? It's not exactly an accomplishment.

Papa John's sucks, and so does Schnatter.

And no pizza is better than Tuzzi's in Berwick, PA.

From the article the OP linked:

"Schnatter remains prominently linked to the school through Papa John's Cardinal Stadium. In a complicated arrangement, the school's deal is with Schnatter himself, not the Papa John's brand, and provides that if he leaves the company, Schnatter can rename the building. His current deal with the university runs through 2040."

Interesting. Thanks Tom.

I always laughed at the "Better Ingredients, Better Pizza" slogan. Better than what? Pizza Hut? Little Caesar's? It's not exactly an accomplishment.

Papa John's sucks, and so does Schnatter.

And no pizza is better than Tuzzi's in Berwick, PA.

Is Stuccio's around still? Had that pizza as a very little kid....circa 1969....with a Fresca to wash it down.

Is Stuccio's around still? Had that pizza as a very little kid....circa 1969....with a Fresca to wash it down.

Yep it's still there. Very hit or miss these days though, and not in the "good" direction.

Tuzzi's, Dalo's, and Stuccio's are the "big 3" family-owned pizza/baked goods joints still around. All 3 places have such cheap stuff. I recently paid around $8 for a plain half-sheet at Tuzzi's, and not a lot more for one with toppings.

No one makes better bread than Tuzzi's, either. They're the Saquon Barkley of bread.

Edit--check out Tuzzi's Facebook page--they're quite active: https://www.facebook.com/tuzzibakery/?ref=br_rs

Edit 2-- Tuzzi's lunch special is 4 slices and a can of soda for $3.60.

Good his pizza was the worst. The cheese and sauce that was usually spilled on the cardboard tasted better than that nasty crust. Thats why they included a "dipping" sauce.

Yeah, I have no idea how Papa Johns pizza got so big. I'm not saying Pizza Hut and Dominoes are good pizza either, but they're light-years better than PJ's, and have always had the whole country covered.

I guess it's kinda like Subway. It's crazy to me that people -- let alone so many people that the company can grow to be so big -- have taste buds that (apparently) send enjoyable signals to people brains when they eat it.

Dominoe's pizza really improved a lot about 6 or 7 years ago when they were losing huge market share and money. The completely redid the business model to make much better pizza's at a pretty cheap price. I know because a friend of my wife's own's like 25 of them and everytime we went over to their house, he would order a bunch of pizza's and have me taste test them and give him my honest opinion. They aren't local high quality pizzeria good, but light years better than the crap that they (and places like Papa Johns and Little Ceaser's, etc...) were selling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT