ADVERTISEMENT

fc OT NFC East 3/4 of the top fan bases in the NFL, PA 40% of the top 5...

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
Emory University Goizueta School of Business professor Mike Lewis sought to use statistical analysis to determine the NFL’s “best” fans. The study used the hard-core, religiously devoted fan as well as the casual fan, so those at the top of the list have more of the latter and those at the bottom of the list less.

The Cowboys ranked as the best fans in Lewis’ study, followed by the Patriots, Eagles, Giants, Steelers and Packers, respectively. The Rams were 32nd, just ahead of the Chiefs, Titans and Jaguars, respectively.

Lewis, via Yahoo.com, judged fan bases on three criteria — fan equity, social equity and road equity. Fan equity is how well fans back up their words with dollars. Social equity is a team’s social media reach. Road equity measures how well a team draws on the road, adjusting for team performance.

Read more about how Lewis came to his conclusions here, and feel free to debate his findings in our comments section below.

See which teams ranked where in this full breakdown:

1. Cowboys

2. Patriots

3. Eagles

4. Giants

5. Steelers

6. Packers

7. Broncos

8. Bears

9. 49ers

10. Saints

11. Redskins

12. Colts

13. Falcons

14. Dolphins

15. Seahawks

16. Panthers

17. Raiders

18. Ravens

19. Bills

20. Jets

21. Texans

22. Lions

23. Buccaneers

24. Vikings

25. Cardinals

26. Chargers

27. Browns

28. Bengals

29. Jaguars

30. Titans

31. Chiefs

Did the Patriots even have fans 15 years ago?
You know, I am a diehard Pats fan... been that way since I was a little kid in the mid 70s. In fact my uncles have had season tickets since their first year as the Boston Patriots. However when I read this list I thought the same thing as you. Traditionally football ranks last of the 4 major sports in the Boston area. Of the top 5 fan bases on this list the Pats are the only one driven by winning. The other 4 would rank high regardless of the team's performance. That would not be the case in New England.

Social equity is a team’s social media reach.
I wonder how this is measured (or how relevant it is).

I was surprised to see the Chiefs dead last. I always had the impression that they were quite fervent but I supposed that was just based on games at Arrowhead.

"Best Fans" = "most successful teams". Looks a lot like a chicken/egg argument to me.

I went to multiple game in KC when they weren't great and their fan support was always excellent unlike many other teams

With road support figured in the Steelers should have been #1 No team has nearly as many people in the stands for road games. A lot of places, even the west coast, the Steeler fans outnumber the homers.

And the Giants? Outside of NYC area they have little support. And since metro NYC is massive they would sell out even if they have lousy teams. Oh....wait......

Steelers have a very small home market.

Did he correct for size of home market? Maybe use ratio of sales of shirts and other branded items vs size of local market.

Last edited:
Did the Patriots even have fans 15 years ago?
Yes. Im one of them. Central PA guy. Went to visit my oldest brother in Boston when I was 8 and went to my first NFL game. Bert Jones Colts @ Pats. Been a Pats fan ever since.

Emory University Goizueta School of Business professor Mike Lewis sought to use statistical analysis to determine the NFL’s “best” fans. The study used the hard-core, religiously devoted fan as well as the casual fan, so those at the top of the list have more of the latter and those at the bottom of the list less.

The Cowboys ranked as the best fans in Lewis’ study, followed by the Patriots, Eagles, Giants, Steelers and Packers, respectively. The Rams were 32nd, just ahead of the Chiefs, Titans and Jaguars, respectively.

Lewis, via Yahoo.com, judged fan bases on three criteria — fan equity, social equity and road equity. Fan equity is how well fans back up their words with dollars. Social equity is a team’s social media reach. Road equity measures how well a team draws on the road, adjusting for team performance.

Read more about how Lewis came to his conclusions here, and feel free to debate his findings in our comments section below.

See which teams ranked where in this full breakdown:

1. Cowboys

2. Patriots

3. Eagles

4. Giants

5. Steelers

6. Packers

7. Broncos

8. Bears

9. 49ers

10. Saints

11. Redskins