ADVERTISEMENT

fc OT Huh? 3/2 engineering student from Furman to start v Clemson, but hes a Clemson

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
student. Sounds different to me!!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/why-a-clemson-student-could-be-starting-at-quarterback-–-against-the-tigers/ar-BBLYhcD?li=BBnb7Kz

Roberts is enrolled in a cooperative educational exchange program that allows students to play at one school while pursuing their desired degree at another. Roberts earned a bachelor’s degree in pre-engineering from Furman in three years. He is scheduled to earn a second bachelor’s from Clemson in mechanical engineering.

While juggling the curriculum and the commute, Roberts is also competing for Furman’s starting quarterback role. When Furman opens the season against Clemson on Sept. 1, Roberts could lead his teammates against his classmates.

“I don’t know of any students that are going to be playing against the school that they’re actually enrolled in,” Furman athletic director Mike Buddie said with a laugh.

According to Furman sports information director Hunter Reid, through the last 30 years, several Paladins participated in the partnership with Clemson, but never concurrent with any of Furman’s previous 58 games against the Tigers.

“This was my best opportunity to play high-level football and study engineering. I jumped at the chance,” Roberts said. “The drive back and forth sometimes gets a little monotonous. That takes a lot of time out of the day that I could use for studying for class, studying film or taking a nap. Being able to manage my time is the most difficult part, but it’s been going well.”

Roberts said Clemson students and professors are initially stunned when they discover why he wears a slightly different shade of purple.

Pre -Engineering, Pre-Med, what’s the difference?
6a01156f37211c970c017743c37c62970d-pi

Happens more at the smaller school ranks. Kid wants to do engineering but another school offers them a chance to play ball. School they play ball for has a "3 and 2" program. 3 years to take all your gen eds and basic engineering classes, 2 years at a partner school for the specific engineering stuff. Kid can play ball at the original school until their eligibility is done.

I’ve heard Engineering at PSU called pre-Business but never heard of pre-Engineering.
Maybe that’s what Sheldon calls Physics for the less skilled.

Reactions: acg116
At the school I work at we have a dual admission program with the local community college where you are with both schools at once.

Here is a link to Edinboro's website explaining their 3/2 (Cooperative Engineering) program. edinboro university coop engineering program

You go to EUP for 3 years and get your basics taken care of along with a lot of Physics courses. You then transfer to either PSU, Case Western Reserve or Pitt to complete your engineering curriculum. After transferring credits between the two schools, you get two degrees; one in Physics from Edinboro and one in Engineering from the school that you transferred to.

I believe that several state universities have this program but I don't believe that Case Western accepts credits from anyone other than Edinboro.

Reactions: bison13
"Pre-engineering? "

Furman doesn't have an engineering school. They have agreements with Clemson and with Georgia Tech where you take 3 years of liberal arts classes at Furman, and then 2 or 3 years at the aforementioned other universities. They get a BS in pre-engineering from Furman, and a BS in engineering from the 2nd university. You can read more about their program at THIS LINK.

Here is a link to Edinboro's website explaining their 3/2 (Cooperative Engineering) program. edinboro university coop engineering program

You go to EUP for 3 years and get your basics taken care of along with a lot of Physics courses. You then transfer to either PSU, Case Western Reserve or Pitt to complete your engineering curriculum. After transferring credits between the two schools, you get two degrees; one in Physics from Edinboro and one in Engineering from the school that you transferred to.

I believe that several state universities have this program but I don't believe that Case Western accepts credits from anyone other than Edinboro.

Did not know Edinboro had that. Great opportunity for its students. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
These were pitched to me by several school pairs back in 1981 when I was deciding. I recall Carleton, Northwestern, Wash U, and Case as being part of them.

Gettysburg started this in '75. I considered it, but I was really too far along. I knew these existed, but I didnt know somebody, for example taking classes at Pitt would be playing against them!! You know when Pitt plays Gettysburg.

Gettysburg College's engineering dual-degree program combines the enhanced communication skills and creativity of a liberal arts education with the focused rigor of a highly regarded engineering program.

Gettysburg College offers dual-degree engineering programs in conjunction with Columbia University in New York City, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York, Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, and the University of Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Dual Degree Engineering Program (PDF)

Upon successful completion of the program, the student is awarded the bachelor–of-arts degree from Gettysburg and the bachelor-of-science degree in an engineering discipline from one of the four affiliated universities. Since the student graduates with two degrees, all degree requirements from both institutions must be completed, including a major at each institution. The Gettysburg College major can be in any discipline provided the student completes the pre-engineering courses and the Gettysburg College curricular requirements before starting at the engineering school. The affiliation agreement between schools allows many courses to transfer so that the student can complete both degrees in 5 years. American students who qualify for financial aid at Gettysburg College will usually be eligible for similar aid at the engineering affiliate universities. International students who qualify for aid at Gettysburg are not guaranteed financial aid, although it is sometimes available.

In addition to their college advisor, candidates for this program are advised by the Engineering Advisor who is a member of the physics department. Normally, a student will be recommended to Columbia, RPI, Washington University, or Pitt during the fall semester of the junior year. Under the typical "3-2" option, students spend three years at Gettysburg and two at the partner institution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT