ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Food delivery tip etiquette....?

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
Sadly, I don't have any 'local' options that deliver (the one place that is family owned makes great pizza, but alas, does not deliver). So, when I saw nearly $4.00 delivery fee for Domino's, I was sort of surprised. Considering I typically tip that much, at a certain point you're paying as much for the tip and delivery fee as you are for the pizza (no scale here since I was only getting one pizza).

Anyway, what does everyone do when you pick up an order for take out? Do you tip then? If so, how much?
I'd be surprised by a $4 fee for Domino's as well, unless the pizza is so discounted for pickup that the delivery fee brings you to a reasonable price. I would ask Domino's how much of the delivery fee goes to the driver. Absent a unique situation (home with kids, nothing in house, can't leave), $22-25 bucks for a Domino's ain't happening. It's just not very (read: ANY) good. Don't you have grubhub, takeout taxi?I f Domino's is truly your only pizza-type food delivery option, I'd look to the frozen pizza options, which are cheaper and IMHO better than Domino's.

I almost never tip for take-out. Sometimes I'll tip a buck or two and, depending on the place might go to 10-15% if there's actually SERVICE involved, or the the person is being nice while busting his/her butt during a rush freezing, etc.. And everyone likes special treatment. But if there's no service component, would be like tipping the guy at the hardware store or department store...

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Sadly, I don't have any 'local' options that deliver (the one place that is family owned makes great pizza, but alas, does not deliver). So, when I saw nearly $4.00 delivery fee for Domino's, I was sort of surprised. Considering I typically tip that much, at a certain point you're paying as much for the tip and delivery fee as you are for the pizza (no scale here since I was only getting one pizza).

Anyway, what does everyone do when you pick up an order for take out? Do you tip then? If so, how much?

If you're tipping for take out then I don't see how that's any different than tipping at McDonald's. You're going to the restaurant and they're handing you the food and you're leaving with it. What's the difference?

I don't get Domino's very often but when I do I pick it up, either by ordering online first or else going there and ordering and then waiting for it. I assume sometimes Domino's drivers do more than one delivery at a time so my pizza might be getting cold while they deliver someone elses but if I pick it up myself I know the pizza will go straight from Domino's to my home.

Noticed almost every restaurant that delivers these days (even chain pizza places) charges a pretty hefty 'delivery fee'. I assume this is supposed to be in addition to a tip. What does everyone else do? I'm home with the kids today and didn't want to haul them around to I ordered one pizza from Domino's and the delivery fee was about 30% of the cost of the pizza. I'm typically a pretty good tipper, but feel like this is a slippery slope.

BABY BOOMERS don't tip.

Well, they'd tell that young millennial to invest his "tip money" in his DOMINOES 401k program. That's the most "tip" you get out of a BABY BOOMER.

The BABY BOOMER would then tell that young millennial that he paid his 4 year tuition money delivering pizza over only one summer.

I'd be surprised by a $4 fee for Domino's as well, unless the pizza is so discounted for pickup that the delivery fee brings you to a reasonable price. I would ask Domino's how much of the delivery fee goes to the driver. Absent a unique situation (home with kids, nothing in house, can't leave), $22-25 bucks for a Domino's ain't happening. It's just not very (read: ANY) good. Don't you have grubhub, takeout taxi?I f Domino's is truly your only pizza-type food delivery option, I'd look to the frozen pizza options, which are cheaper and IMHO better than Domino's.

I almost never tip for take-out. Sometimes I'll tip a buck or two and, depending on the place might go to 10-15% if there's actually SERVICE involved, or the the person is being nice while busting his/her butt during a rush freezing, etc.. And everyone likes special treatment. But if there's no service component, would be like tipping the guy at the hardware store or department store...

I never tipped for take out before I read some story about an NFL player tipping $3.00 on a $75.00 take out order (and he was getting crap for it). Now, I typically tip 10% or so - figure someone has to put everything together, wrap it up, etc. I feel like it's not expected (like if you're server) and always appreciated.

The Domino's deal was this - they had a %50 off delivery or take out coupon on Sunday. That put my pizza with three toppings at about $9.00. The delivery fee was about $3.95. Then, I tipped another $3.00 to the driver. I get that I slightly made out on with the discount, but still - felt like a lot (based on overall cost).

We have something called City Cheetah that will provide delivery service from places that don't offer (like Bonchon), but they typically have a high minimum order amount, and a hefty delivery fee (cheapest is around $6.00) - plus tip. I generally just pick up my food when possible, but sometimes I can't, and guess I didn't realize how much those extra costs have gone up.

If you're tipping for take out then I don't see how that's any different than tipping at McDonald's. You're going to the restaurant and they're handing you the food and you're leaving with it. What's the difference?

I don't get Domino's very often but when I do I pick it up, either by ordering online first or else going there and ordering and then waiting for it. I assume sometimes Domino's drivers do more than one delivery at a time so my pizza might be getting cold while they deliver someone elses but if I pick it up myself I know the pizza will go straight from Domino's to my home.

Well, at nicer places, I expect more care goes into packaging the food, providing necessary condiments/sauces, etc. Bigger difference is a) there isn't a place for a tip on a McDonald's receipt, and b) there isn't a tip jar.

I never tipped for take out before I read some story about an NFL player tipping $3.00 on a $75.00 take out order (and he was getting crap for it). Now, I typically tip 10% or so - figure someone has to put everything together, wrap it up, etc. I feel like it's not expected (like if you're server) and always appreciated.

Someone has to do something for everything you buy. Somebody has to put the cereal on the shelf at the grocery store. Does that get a tip? Someone has to stock the racks at Lowe's. Someone has to put the shirts on the rack at the clothes store.

How about the person that made the shirt in the first place? If that's too far back in the chain of events for me to tip then does the store that buys the shirts they'll sell to me tip the person that made the shirts?

It all feels arbitrary to me. If some people deserve money over and above the price of the object then why doesn't everybody deserve it?

Well, at nicer places, I expect more care goes into packaging the food, providing necessary condiments/sauces, etc. Bigger difference is a) there isn't a place for a tip on a McDonald's receipt, and b) there isn't a tip jar.

That's akin to saying "The only people that deserve a tip are those that ask for it." If that's the case then a lot more people are going to start asking for it. Is there a place for a tip on your Domino's receipt?

BABY BOOMERS don't tip.

Well, they'd tell that young millennial to invest his "tip money" in his DOMINOES 401k program. That's the most "tip" you get out of a BABY BOOMER.

The BABY BOOMER would then tell that young millennial that he paid his 4 year tuition money delivering pizza over only one summer.
Run your mouth off in public, some BABY BOOMER is likely to give you a facial similar to a pair of raccoon's eyes.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
That's akin to saying "The only people that deserve a tip are those that ask for it." If that's the case then a lot more people are going to start asking for it. Is there a place for a tip on your Domino's receipt?

Yes.

Okay, what about this. If whoever ran this board put a place for a tip at the bottom of each post, would you give a tip each time you posted? That's somewhat flippant but not entirely. This board doesn't happen by magic. Someone has to make it so and to maintain it. Why don't they get a tip?

The Domino's deal was this - they had a %50 off delivery or take out coupon on Sunday. That put my pizza with three toppings at about $9.00. The delivery fee was about $3.95. Then, I tipped another $3.00 to the driver. I get that I slightly made out on with the discount, but still - felt like a lot (based on overall cost).

We have something called City Cheetah that will provide delivery service from places that don't offer (like Bonchon), but they typically have a high minimum order amount, and a hefty delivery fee (cheapest is around $6.00) - plus tip. I generally just pick up my food when possible, but sometimes I can't, and guess I didn't realize how much those extra costs have gone up.
Who knows what happened with that NFL player. Don't know if he followed the norm (perhaps with small-time/social media creating a story) or broke from the norm (like "no-tippin' Pippen").

I've never known a Domino's to charge for delivery, but then I haven't bought a Domino's in.... LONG. Their "special" was BS. But you paid $16 bucks for a 3-topping pizza delivered. How much would you expect to pay?

And weren't you one of the guys writing about the Disney cruise over a spring break within the past few years? Assuming that's right and given all the seriously expensive BS one pays for, ... Did we seriously waste this much time over a 3-topping $16 pizza delivered?!?!?! Doesn't matter how you break up the extra costs, none qualify as "a lot" in relative terms, even in relative terms. ;-)

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
The system is really weird if you look at it.

I am at a local restaurant and they wait on me keep my drinks filled and are really attentive but my bill is only $30.00. Later on I go to Ruths Chris and have the same or slightly worse service but now my bill is $100.00 dollars. Assuming 20% tip one server gets $6.00 and the other gets $20.00.

Just seems like a strange system to base gratuity on the cost of the meal.
I would guess your table time at the steak house was a lot longer than the quickie. Not that it's right, just a thought.

It’s a farce that they pah
The system is really weird if you look at it.

I am at a local restaurant and they wait on me keep my drinks filled and are really attentive but my bill is only $30.00. Later on I go to Ruths Chris and have the same or slightly worse service but now my bill is $100.00 dollars. Assuming 20% tip one server gets $6.00 and the other gets $20.00.

Just seems like a strange system to base gratuity on the cost of the meal.
How about going into a bar and ordering a Pabst draft for, say $2.00. Your friend enjoys the IPA which is $7.00. Each of you have 4 beers. One of you tips $2.00 (25%) and one of you tips $6.00 (21%) for the same service. If the IPA drinker tips $5.00 (18%), is he a "cheapskate"? Which customer does the bartender want to see most?

Reactions: step.eng69
Who knows what happened with that NFL player. Don't know if he followed the norm (perhaps with small-time/social media creating a story) or broke from the norm (like "no-tippin' Pippen").

I've never known a Domino's to charge for delivery, but then I haven't bought a Domino's in.... LONG. Their "special" was BS. But you paid $16 bucks for a 3-topping pizza delivered. How much would you expect to pay?

And weren't you one of the guys writing about the Disney cruise over a spring break within the past few years? Assuming that's right and given all the seriously expensive BS one pays for, ... Did we seriously waste this much time over a 3-topping $16 pizza delivered?!?!?! Doesn't matter how you break up the extra costs, none qualify as "a lot" in relative terms, even in relative terms. ;-)

LOL. Good point(s). And yes, that was me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT