ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Food delivery tip etiquette....?

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Noticed almost every restaurant that delivers these days (even chain pizza places) charges a pretty hefty 'delivery fee'. I assume this is supposed to be in addition to a tip. What does everyone else do? I'm home with the kids today and didn't want to haul them around to I ordered one pizza from Domino's and the delivery fee was about 30% of the cost of the pizza. I'm typically a pretty good tipper, but feel like this is a slippery slope.

Reactions: fairgambit
Noticed almost every restaurant that delivers these days (even chain pizza places) charges a pretty hefty 'delivery fee'. I assume this is supposed to be in addition to a tip. What does everyone else do? I'm home with the kids today and didn't want to haul them around to I ordered one pizza from Domino's and the delivery fee was about 30% of the cost of the pizza. I'm typically a pretty good tipper, but feel like this is a slippery slope.
That poor driver could be working their way thru college, or supporting a family of 4. Knowing that do what you think is right

The "delivery fee" doesn't go to the driver...it is usually retained by the business owner as supplemental revenue, hence why most people also tip the driver/deliverer.

I rarely order delivery unless it's for an order over $50. That way the tip and other fees become more reasonable as a percentage of what I'm spending.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/office-food-delivery-tipping-3514821

That poor driver could be working their way thru college, or supporting a family of 4. Knowing that do what you think is right

Well, probably not in my area, but point stands. I feel like these companies used high gas costs as a way to jack prices all around, and when fuel costs leveled out they never got rid of the extra charges (like airlines).

I order pizza from a mom and pop place a few miles from my house. No charge for delivery.

My son ordered pizza for his buddies and him once when I was away. I left a credit card for him to use. All I told him was to tip the delivery guy but didnt explain what is considered customary. So he tipped $30 on a $30 order. I asked him why he tipped so much and he told me that's what he'd want if he was driving around delivering pizzas.

15% and a hail to Pitt will probably do.

Well, probably not in my area, but point stands. I feel like these companies used high gas costs as a way to jack prices all around, and when fuel costs leveled out they never got rid of the extra charges (like airlines).
I think just the opposite, I think they made pick up prices as a loss leader to give them something to advertise. Oh goody!! Pizza $5,95 or whatever knowing nobody picks up (or very few) and make their margins on delivery fees

I absolutely hate the concept of tipping. It’s not fair to an employee to rely on customer generosity to pay their bills.

Reactions: Op2
I think just the opposite, I think they made pick up prices as a loss leader to give them something to advertise. Oh goody!! Pizza $5,95 or whatever knowing nobody picks up (or very few) and make their margins on delivery fees

Exactly. And, the margins are relatively tight. It's as if people think the $12 they pay is a ton of money which can be spread around when someone makes and delivers a pizza to their door.

LdN

I absolutely hate the concept of tipping. It’s not fair to an employee to rely on customer generosity to pay their bills.

If the employee does not earn tips the business needs to make up the difference. So you are wrong... there is no reliance. The employee declares their tips and if it is less than minimum they are paid by provider.

The reason someone relies on tips is because they can make considerably more under that model than their dishwasher and line cook cohorts.

LdN

A lot of other countries don't do it. New Zealand looks down on it. Of course they pay living wages to their employees also.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
If the employee does not earn tips the business needs to make up the difference. So you are wrong... there is no reliance. The employee declares their tips and if it is less than minimum they are paid by provider.

The reason someone relies on tips is because they can make considerably more under that model than their dishwasher and line cook cohorts.

LdN
I disagree, it’s a completely screwed up system. People should be paid a fair/competitive wage by their employer, and the employer should factor that into what they charge for their goods or services. I routinely tip 20% as a base, while I’ve seen my father in law tip less than 10% when the service was good. How is this fair?

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I disagree, it’s a completely screwed up system. People should be paid a fair/competitive wage by their employer, and the employer should factor that into what they charge for their goods or services. I routinely tip 20% as a base, while I’ve seen my father in law tip less than 10% when the service was good. How is this fair?

Life isnt fair. Sorry your father in law is a dick.

You can eat at chipotle or burger king if you hate tipping. Freedom.

LdN

LdN
I don’t think delivery drivers are under that system. I believe they make at least minimum wage. They are probably suppose to report their tips to the irs. But I doubt Anybody does. For cash tips I don’t have a problem with that

My father in law is the same way. It’s often embarrassing enough that I’ll go back to the table and leave some cash. Or often I’ll offer to leave the tip if he’s picking up the tab just to make sure the servers get treated fairly.

I always tip at least $3 ($10 check for breakfast) or 20%. I’m known at a couple places in town and know I get better service because they know I’ll pay them.

Funny tip story:
One night outside a restaurant, Frank Sinatra asked the valet who brought him his car what was the biggest tip he ever got. The valet said it was 100 bucks. Sinatra slipped him 200, and before driving away, asked who gave him the 100. The valet replied, “You did, Mr. Sinatra.”

Life isnt fair. Sorry your father in law is a dick.

You can eat at chipotle or burger king if you hate tipping. Freedom.

LdN

I've seen tip jars at eateries where you walk up to the counter, order your food and wait for it and then the bring it to you and then you go away and eat it. Five Guys and Ben & Jerry's are two that jump to mind, although there are more.

So how much we tip depends on the personal circumstances of the person delivering the food?

15-20% on a delivery. Most of the time the drivers are using their own cars and have to pay for gas, wear and tear on the car, and yes taxes, when they work for one of the new delivery services.

Wait, so you tip on a credit card so the employee must pay taxes? That's the opposite of standard etiquette. Rather interesting to me but to each their own.

LdN
LdN, My logic is that my income (salary, investments) is always reported completely to the IRS, so why should someone else have the ability to under report. Second reason is that it creates a record for the restaurant that should result in the employee getting the full tip. Trust, but verify.

LdN, My logic is that my income (salary, investments) is always reported completely to the IRS, so why should someone else have the ability to under report. Second reason is that it creates a record for the restaurant that should result in the employee getting the full tip. Trust, but verify.

Yes, i understand the first part. Again that is completely the opposite of stabdard etiquette which is to tip cash so the employee 1. Gets the money and 2. Can claim what they want.

If you apply these rules to your life on tipping i imagine you do for several other things. But again if this makes you feel more comfortable tipping and thus you do, that is great.

Ldn

We have four local shops and all deliver for free. I know a couple of guys that deliverand they do really well on tips. Most folks around here tip a couple bucks per delivery.

I actually came around on this one maybe 6 months ago. I assumed the delivery charge was a forced tip to keep the drivers from getting stiffed. In many cases, I was right. But then I learned that our local pizza shop pockets the delivery charge, which meant I was actually stiffing the driver. So now, I don't sweat a few dollar delivery fee and ask how much of the hefty delivery charge goes to the driver. Easy to know how to proceed from there.

I actually came around on this one maybe 6 months ago. I assumed the delivery charge was a forced tip to keep the drivers from getting stiffed. In many cases, I was right. But then I learned that our local pizza shop pockets the delivery charge, which meant I was actually stiffing the driver. So now, I don't sweat a few dollar delivery fee and ask how much of the hefty delivery charge goes to the driver. Easy to know how to proceed from there.

Sadly, I don't have any 'local' options that deliver (the one place that is family owned makes great pizza, but alas, does not deliver). So, when I saw nearly $4.00 delivery fee for Domino's, I was sort of surprised. Considering I typically tip that much, at a certain point you're paying as much for the tip and delivery fee as you are for the pizza (no scale here since I was only getting one pizza).

Anyway, what does everyone do when you pick up an order for take out? Do you tip then? If so, how much?

Sadly, I don't have any 'local' options that deliver (the one place that is family owned makes great pizza, but alas, does not deliver). So, when I saw nearly $4.00 delivery fee for Domino's, I was sort of surprised. Considering I typically tip that much, at a certain point you're paying as much for the tip and delivery fee as you are for the pizza (no scale here since I was only getting one pizza).

Anyway, what does everyone do when you pick up an order for take out? Do you tip then? If so, how much?
me? it depends on my mood. If I am just picking up, sometimes, I dont leave anything, sometimes just the change ($22.25 leave .$.75) sometimes $1 but that's about all, heck I am doing the work!! (they didnt serve me)

The system is really weird if you look at it.

I am at a local restaurant and they wait on me keep my drinks filled and are really attentive but my bill is only $30.00. Later on I go to Ruths Chris and have the same or slightly worse service but now my bill is $100.00 dollars. Assuming 20% tip one server gets $6.00 and the other gets $20.00.

Just seems like a strange system to base gratuity on the cost of the meal.

The 2017 mileage rate is around 50 cents per mile, for the car expenses, including gas, maintenance, insurance, and depreciation.

We have four local shops and all deliver for free. I know a couple of guys that deliverand they do really well on tips. Most folks around here tip a couple bucks per delivery.
If most people tip a couple bucks, I find it hard to believe the delivery guys do really well - that doesn't add up

Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT