ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Cleveland fans taunt protesters at home opener....

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
Hey good to see you back.
I hate hijacking a thread but in this case its worth it, sorry @Midnighter ;)
Have you gotten a chance to see Umbrella Academy?
I knew nothing about it going in and am now a big fan.:D

LOL. This thread is a year old but credit to Obliviax for not starting a new one to add his news.

And yes, loved UA! Hope there is a season 2. Was a big fan of the comics and they did them justice.

Reactions: BBrown
LOL....one of the most vocal protesters to Chief Wahoo just got lit up for stealing $77,000 in grant money for the benefit of Native Americans.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A prominent activist known for his opposition to the Cleveland Indians' Chief Wahoo mascot pleaded guilty Wednesday to stealing more than $77,000 in federal grant money meant to benefit Native Americans in Northeast Ohio.

Robert Roche, 71, of Cleveland, pleaded guilty to two counts of theft of government funds. Federal prosecutors say he embezzled Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration grant money awarded to the Parma-based American Indian Education Center, where he served as executive director.

Federal authorities said he used the money to pay personal expenses.

Just wow. If there is any group of people that need the money more than some groups of American Indians someone needs to show them to me and I'm not even sure I'll believe it then.
I've seen, first hand, what some of the Reservations in NM and AZ look like and is a f'n crime.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
As of this year, the mascot is gone. This was an agreement between the Tribe and MLB. Last year was the mascot's 'farewell tour'. This year, Wahoo is taillights. But the MLB all-star game will be in CLE this year. So I am not sure what they are protesting now. I suspect that they are sad to see Wahoo go. Why? If gave them a platform to shine a light on the real problems of being a native american. Now, it rings more hallow.

FWIW I didn’t see any Wahoo stuff on the Indians’ MLB sponsored stores. I think the C logo looks great though - very classic.

It’s still available on merchandise (or so I read). Maybe you can confirm...?
I am not 100% sure but I think the way it works is that Wahoo cannot be used in or around the stadium in any official capacity. Not patches, hats, signage, souvenir cups or reference. However, the team can still sell merchandize (think throwback uniforms) at their merchandize shops or online. I am not sure though, I really don't care. something always offends somebody. i am sure somebody is stewing because I didn't capitalize the "I' to start this sentence.

;)
I am not 100% sure but I think the way it works is that Wahoo cannot be used in or around the stadium in any official capacity. Not patches, hats, signage, souvenir cups or reference. However, the team can still sell merchandize (think throwback uniforms) at their merchandize shops or online. I am not sure though, I really don't care. something always offends somebody. i am sure somebody is stewing because I didn't capitalize the "I' to start this sentence.

And you spelled ‘hollow’ wrong earlier but I’m not petty enough to point that out. ;)

Reactions: Obliviax
My suggestion for a new Indian's mascot:

HIPSTORY_-_Shimoni_-_Gandhi_1200x.jpg

LOL. This thread is a year old but credit to Obliviax for not starting a new one to add his news.

And yes, loved UA! Hope there is a season 2. Was a big fan of the comics and they did them justice.

Oops my bad. I didn't see the date.
I didn't think there was any reason not think there would be a season 2. So I hope so.
I wonder how it did in "ratings"...if they even have "ratings" anymore.
Oh and did you get a chance to see the trailer for Season 3 of Stranger Things.
Not a glimpse of the "goth gang" (thank God) and it looks pretty fun.

I just want to point out that as a white male raised on a dairy farm in York County, I consider myself a hillbilly, redneck, cracker. By all means, call me all of the above. Why, do you ask? because...

I
Don't
Care....

What someone calls me has ZERO affect on what I do with my life and the opportunities that I create(d) for myself. I don't understand any of this stuff... who cares what a mascot is called? Should the San Francisco 49ers have to change their name because the mascot depicts someone who is unkempt, uneducated and poor? I mean that's derogatory right?

My suggestion for a new Indian's mascot:

HIPSTORY_-_Shimoni_-_Gandhi_1200x.jpg
Pretty funny. Nobody is quite sure how the became known as the Indians but most think it is named after a player they had named Louis Sockalexis. He was an American Indian (Penobscot). The name was the "bluebirds" which got shorted to "blues". It was also called the Broncos and the "Naps" (after their best player at the time, Nap Lajoie). They had a poll of the writers to find a new name and the winner was the "indians" because of Sockalexis. The original Chief Wahoo was drawn by a school kid in another contest in the 1940s.

In 1947, Cleveland Indians owner Bill Veeck hired the J.F. Novak Company, designers of patches worn by the Cleveland police and fire departments, to create a new logo for his team. Seventeen-year-old draftsman Walter Goldbach, an employee of the Novak Company, was asked to perform the job. Tasked with creating a mascot that "would convey a spirit of pure joy and unbridled enthusiasm", he created a smiling face with yellow skin and a prominent nose. Goldbach has said that he had difficulty "figuring out how to make an Indian look like a cartoon", and that he was probably influenced by the cartoon style that was popular at the time...

220px-Logo_of_the_Cleveland_Indians_%281946-1950%29.png

Last edited:
Oops my bad. I didn't see the date.
I didn't think there was any reason not think there would be a season 2. So I hope so.
I wonder how it did in "ratings"...if they even have "ratings" anymore.
Oh and did you get a chance to see the trailer for Season 3 of Stranger Things.
Not a glimpse of the "goth gang" (thank God) and it looks pretty fun.

I did see the new ST3 trailer and thought it was great - I hope they get more into Eleven’s past and the nature of the work she was doing in S1. I was also happy to see the trailer for QT’s new movie ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ drop. Looks great!

Reactions: BBrown
This video wasn't from a Cleveland paper - it was submitted to Deadspin (and yes, they have an agenda) from someone at the game. I agree this is a case of catching a few bad apples acting inappropriately and certainly the majority of fans who go to games aren't going to even bother with any engagement.

As for the other side of the coin, I also agree some Native American groups use the protest of sports team names as a vehicle to advance other items on their agenda. I personally do not see any issue with the name 'Indians' - I do have an issue with the logo. Similarly, I think 'Braves' or 'Seminoles' is appropriate and respectful. I do not think 'Redskins' is appropriate though. Anyway, if I'm an owner the way you take the teeth out of all of this is simply change the name and logo. Done and done. Then what? Protest the appropriation of Native American names for rivers and towns? There has to be a balance.

As an aside, has there ever been any protest over the Indian motorcycle?

6000000001.jpg

afa1c03dc43193579094fdf277ddb7bf.jpg
Yes! I have long protested that the young lady doesn't come with the bike...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT