ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Cleveland fans taunt protesters at home opener....

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

I think the team made things worse by sort of only half heartedly suppressing the use of the Chief Wahoo logo. They should have went all in, or not at all (like Snyder and the Redskins). So, this is the result....

Some salty language.

Completely untrue. There were like five protesters and they've been there on opening day for decades. Tribe will no longer wear wahoo the name Indians was after a former HOFer that played post WW1. This is typical media filming 43000 polite attendees and making a big deal out of a half dozen people, out of context to boot.

I think the team made things worse by sort of only half heartedly suppressing the use of the Chief Wahoo logo. They should have went all in, or not at all (like Snyder and the Redskins). So, this is the result....

Some salty language.

There is nothing wrong with you posting this, so please don't listen to critics. I see nothing wrong with the name Indians; I definitely see how Native Americans could have a problem with the Chief Wahoo logo. I went to a high school in a town named after an Indian chief, and we were called the Indians. We meant no disrespect, to the contrary, we were very proud of the heritage. Whatever your view, using multiple profanities in public is ridiculous, and shows the lack of character of the person using them.

There is nothing wrong with you posting this, so please don't listen to critics. I see nothing wrong with the name Indians; I definitely see how Native Americans could have a problem with the Chief Wahoo logo. I went to a high school in a town named after an Indian chief, and we were called the Indians. We meant no disrespect, to the contrary, we were very proud of the heritage. Whatever your view, using multiple profanities in public is ridiculous, and shows the lack of character of the person using them.

Is my stalker posting in this thread? That’s creepy.

Thanks for commenting - I tend to agree with you. I’m from Western Pa (Beaver County) and just about every town and school has a Native American name or mascot. My take is if a group of people would refer to themselves as the name, it’s probably okay.

Is my stalker posting in this thread? That’s creepy.

Thanks for commenting - I tend to agree with you. I’m from Western Pa (Beaver County) and just about every town and school has a Native American name or mascot. My take is if a group of people would refer to themselves as the name, it’s probably okay.
I'm a Beaver County person too! The school I was referring to was Monaca. Thanks for your comment.

Some salty language.

I would like to take this moment to ask everyone reading this thread to please stand for the singing of "God Bless America"...

...except me, I choose to take a knee.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
These guys have been protesting Wahoo for decades. If you watch the video, you can see it is a half dozen, maybe a dozen, people. hardly a spirited protest. You don't see what the protesters are doing to provoke people, if anything....CLE just shows the responses.

I've talked to that group on prior opening days. BTW, they won't be there after this week. Regardless, they use this as a platform to protest all abuses of native americans....chief wahoo and the name "Indians" is hardly their agenda. I am not sure how many people are negatively swayed in their views toward native americans because a team is named "Indians".

I honestly don't care if the Indians change their name or not. To me, it is like IBM changing their logo; who really cares. What bugs me is the CLE's paper's depiction of this. Why does a local paper post a one-sided review like this? Its like Penn Live....then they wonder why people are ending their patronage. If they ask me, I can tell them. People aren't concerned about getting the strait news, in fact, welcome it. What they don't want is one-sided news.

These guys have been protesting Wahoo for decades. If you watch the video, you can see it is a half dozen, maybe a dozen, people. hardly a spirited protest. You don't see what the protesters are doing to provoke people, if anything....CLE just shows the responses.

I've talked to that group on prior opening days. BTW, they won't be there after this week. Regardless, they use this as a platform to protest all abuses of native americans....chief wahoo and the name "Indians" is hardly their agenda. I am not sure how many people are negatively swayed in their views toward native americans because a team is named "Indians".

I honestly don't care if the Indians change their name or not. To me, it is like IBM changing their logo; who really cares. What bugs me is the CLE's paper's depiction of this. Why does a local paper post a one-sided review like this? Its like Penn Live....then they wonder why people are ending their patronage. If they ask me, I can tell them. People aren't concerned about getting the strait news, in fact, welcome it. What they don't want is one-sided news.

This video wasn't from a Cleveland paper - it was submitted to Deadspin (and yes, they have an agenda) from someone at the game. I agree this is a case of catching a few bad apples acting inappropriately and certainly the majority of fans who go to games aren't going to even bother with any engagement.

As for the other side of the coin, I also agree some Native American groups use the protest of sports team names as a vehicle to advance other items on their agenda. I personally do not see any issue with the name 'Indians' - I do have an issue with the logo. Similarly, I think 'Braves' or 'Seminoles' is appropriate and respectful. I do not think 'Redskins' is appropriate though. Anyway, if I'm an owner the way you take the teeth out of all of this is simply change the name and logo. Done and done. Then what? Protest the appropriation of Native American names for rivers and towns? There has to be a balance.

As an aside, has there ever been any protest over the Indian motorcycle?

6000000001.jpg

afa1c03dc43193579094fdf277ddb7bf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: psuro and Obliviax
There are so many more important issues that native Americans should be concerned with, including poverty, education etc.

Reactions: BBrown
This video wasn't from a Cleveland paper - it was submitted to Deadspin (and yes, they have an agenda) from someone at the game. I agree this is a case of catching a few bad apples acting inappropriately and certainly the majority of fans who go to games aren't going to even bother with any engagement.

As for the other side of the coin, I also agree some Native American groups use the protest of sports team names as a vehicle to advance other items on their agenda. I personally do not see any issue with the name 'Indians' - I do have an issue with the logo. Similarly, I think 'Braves' or 'Seminoles' is appropriate and respectful. I do not think 'Redskins' is appropriate though. Anyway, if I'm an owner the way you take the teeth out of all of this is simply change the name and logo. Done and done. Then what? Protest the appropriation of Native American names for rivers and towns? There has to be a balance.

6000000001.jpg

Yep...totally agree. IMHO, it is great that these Native Americans have a voice. At some point, you have to wonder what is noise and what is a legit protest. I understand protesting "redskins". Are there people upset that the "Heat" feel bad that Miami is portrayed as such a hot place in the summer? Do Twins protest Minnesota or is Pittsburg incorrectly labeled as blue collar by the "Steelers?"

Regardless, being from CLE and knowing so many good people, I hate that the city gets portrayed like that.

There are so many more important issues that native Americans should be concerned with, including poverty, education etc.

I dated a Native American girl for a bit when I was in the Army - she was a friend of a friend and was visiting for a few weeks; had an awesome time. And she was really pretty - blonde hair, blue eyes, and olive colored skin. Grew up on a reservation in North Dakota. She was telling me about how awful it is but how many programs there are for them to get into colleges, etc. - just have a hard time getting their youth to take enough interest to participate. Still, I think the marginalization/appropriation of their heritage is and should be a concern.

I dated a Native American girl for a bit when I was in the Army - she was a friend of a friend and was visiting for a few weeks; had an awesome time. And she was really pretty - blonde hair, blue eyes, and olive colored skin. Grew up on a reservation in North Dakota. She was telling me about how awful it is but how many programs there are for them to get into colleges, etc. - just have a hard time getting their youth to take enough interest to participate. Still, I think the marginalization/appropriation of their heritage is and should be a concern.
Hey...I'm Irish and don't feel marginalized by Notre Dame.

FLAG. :eek:

Hey...I'm Irish and don't feel marginalized by Notre Dame.

Me too (Irish that is). I happen to think Fighting Irish is respectful and captures the spirit of the people and country. I would use the term ‘Irish’ to describe my heritage. I couldn’t say the same for ‘Redskin’ if I were Native American. Though I think ‘Indian’ would be fine (ultimately not up to me).

LOL....one of the most vocal protesters to Chief Wahoo just got lit up for stealing $77,000 in grant money for the benefit of Native Americans.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A prominent activist known for his opposition to the Cleveland Indians' Chief Wahoo mascot pleaded guilty Wednesday to stealing more than $77,000 in federal grant money meant to benefit Native Americans in Northeast Ohio.

Robert Roche, 71, of Cleveland, pleaded guilty to two counts of theft of government funds. Federal prosecutors say he embezzled Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration grant money awarded to the Parma-based American Indian Education Center, where he served as executive director.

Federal authorities said he used the money to pay personal expenses.

LOL....one of the most vocal protesters to Chief Wahoo just got lit up for stealing $77,000 in grant money for the benefit of Native Americans.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A prominent activist known for his opposition to the Cleveland Indians' Chief Wahoo mascot pleaded guilty Wednesday to stealing more than $77,000 in federal grant money meant to benefit Native Americans in Northeast Ohio.

Robert Roche, 71, of Cleveland, pleaded guilty to two counts of theft of government funds. Federal prosecutors say he embezzled Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration grant money awarded to the Parma-based American Indian Education Center, where he served as executive director.

Federal authorities said he used the money to pay personal expenses.

Man, that’s crappy. Not that he got busted, but that he abused his position to swindle the folks he was working for. What a turd.

Doesn’t invalidate his protest of Chief Wahoo, but cheer on.

Reactions: BBrown and Obliviax

6000000001.jpg

I don’t ride, but if I did I’d buy an Indian over a Harley any day. Those bike are works of art. So is the chick “appropriating” Native American dress...or at lead the head dress.

Completely untrue. There were like five protesters and they've been there on opening day for decades. Tribe will no longer wear wahoo the name Indians was after a former HOFer that played post WW1. This is typical media filming 43000 polite attendees and making a big deal out of a half dozen people, out of context to boot.

I.e. the media

6000000001.jpg

You are a good poster but way off base that people should just acquiesce as a way to end conflicts. Give an inch- lose a mile. Protesting won’t stop - we can’t undue white colonization of the americas.

You are a good poster but way off base that people should just acquiesce as a way to end conflicts. Give an inch- lose a mile. Protesting won’t stop - we can’t undue white colonization of the americas.

Good post. In the end the more you give the more takers you get. And the people you are trying to help get hurt the most.

Not always but often.

LdN

If you take away what they’re protesting about the protesting stops. Still, you’re never going to make everyone happy (and some never want to be happy). I think the mascot should 100% be done away with but since it’s still around it gives some people purpose I guess.

If you take away what they’re protesting about the protesting stops. Still, you’re never going to make everyone happy (and some never want to be happy). I think the mascot should 100% be done away with but since it’s still around it gives some people purpose I guess.
As of this year, the mascot is gone. This was an agreement between the Tribe and MLB. Last year was the mascot's 'farewell tour'. This year, Wahoo is taillights. But the MLB all-star game will be in CLE this year. So I am not sure what they are protesting now. I suspect that they are sad to see Wahoo go. Why? If gave them a platform to shine a light on the real problems of being a native american. Now, it rings more hallow.

As of this year, the mascot is gone. This was an agreement between the Tribe and MLB. Last year was the mascot's 'farewell tour'. This year, Wahoo is taillights. But the MLB all-star game will be in CLE this year. So I am not sure what they are protesting now. I suspect that they are sad to see Wahoo go. Why? If gave them a platform to shine a light on the real problems of being a native american. Now, it rings more hallow.

It’s still available on merchandise (or so I read). Maybe you can confirm...?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT