ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: BWI Film Club - Justice League, The Snyder Cut! Jared Leto debuts yet *another* Joker....

I guess I'll give it a shot, the 4 hour run time is a bit daunting but I really disliked Whedon's version. The fact that he restored Martian Man hunter has me interested.

Its moves quickly. Best to forget everything in the other version - IMO, this is a massive improvement and really could have been the foundation for some great DC stuff. That said, not sure where they go from here (outside of one offs like Wonder Woman). They did leave out the best scene from the Whedon version though.

I watched it over two nights. As with a lot of action movies, the computer special effects are too fake and take me out of the movie. Aside from that, it was a massive improvement as all the actions taken are now somewhat logical with a lot more character development explaining their motivations.

Flash is the comic relief. There is quite a bit of fluff that could have been taken out, but some of that fluff is for coming book fans and tie in some additional characters.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Its moves quickly. Best to forget everything in the other version - IMO, this is a massive improvement and really could have been the foundation for some great DC stuff. That said, not sure where they go from here (outside of one offs like Wonder Woman). They did leave out the best scene from the Whedon version though.
Which scene was that

favorite scene from the whedon version

Garbage, pure garbage. There is not a single character I cared about in this movie. While it was better in keeping a consistent tone through out it was one I did not care for. I really enjoyed the first Wonder Woman and Aquaman was decent enough. But in Synder’s film I had no stake in either.

The slow motion and lingering shots were overblown. The extras like the Martian Manhunter and especially the Joker were pointless. The Joker seen was beyond stupid IMO.

I read Synder’s original multi-movie plan and am so happy he is likely out of DC. The ideais/was terrible.

The Wheldon/Synder hybrid was not good by any means, but at least it was over quickly. Four hours of nothing.

I watched it over two nights. As with a lot of action movies, the computer special effects are too fake and take me out of the movie. Aside from that, it was a massive improvement as all the actions taken are now somewhat logical with a lot more character development explaining their motivations.

Flash is the comic relief. There is quite a bit of fluff that could have been taken out, but some of that fluff is for coming book fans and tie in some additional characters.

Yeah, there is a lot of lip service to the die hards. There are some other issues too - mostly with Superman - but this works much better than the original. Wonder Woman is a beast too.

Garbage, pure garbage. There is not a single character I cared about in this movie. While it was better in keeping a consistent tone through out it was one I did not care for. I really enjoyed the first Wonder Woman and Aquaman was decent enough. But in Synder’s film I had no stake in either.

The slow motion and lingering shots were overblown. The extras like the Martian Manhunter and especially the Joker were pointless. The Joker seen was beyond stupid IMO.

I read Synder’s original multi-movie plan and am so happy he is likely out of DC. The ideais/was terrible.

The Wheldon/Synder hybrid was not good by any means, but at least it was over quickly. Four hours of nothing.

Hey, thanks for chiming in.

Hey, thanks for chiming in.

To each there own. I’m sure some will love, this just wasn’t my cup of tea. In fairness outside of Dawn of the Dead I have not liked a single Snyder film. Man of Steel was ok and had some possibility on the fear of an alien. The political undertones just rang hollow and shallow.
My dislike includes The 300, which many like. Just like Justice League his visual style turns me off. I loved the book Gates of Fire which told the story much better then Snyder or the comic by Frank Miller.

IMO Snyder fails to make us truly care about his characters. Nolan made me care and understand Batman and had great political commentary on many current issues like surveillance the government and the wealthy versus the rest of society. Jenkins gave Wonder Woman depth. Snyder provided none of that. He likes dark visuals, and not much else.

To each there own. I’m sure some will love, this just wasn’t my cup of tea. In fairness outside of Dawn of the Dead I have not liked a single Snyder film. Man of Steel was ok and had some possibility on the fear of an alien. The political undertones just rang hollow and shallow.
My dislike includes The 300, which many like. Just like Justice League his visual style turns me off. I loved the book Gates of Fire which told the story much better then Snyder or the comic by Frank Miller.

IMO Snyder fails to make us truly care about his characters. Nolan made me care and understand Batman and had great political commentary on many current issues like surveillance the government and the wealthy versus the rest of society. Jenkins gave Wonder Woman depth. Snyder provided none of that. He likes dark visuals, and not much else.
Just thinking about what character I would live to have a beer with.

Batman: No, he is too gloomy and serious. Affleck version no fun: Bale's version absolutely.
Wonder Woman: Yes, only bc she is hot, but all she would do is pine for Steve. Pun intended.
Aquaman: No. Likely wind up in a bar fight and he would leave to fend for yourself.
Flash: No. Dude would never shut up.
Cyclopse: No. Talk about a downer.
Superman: No again. Dude has 0 personality.

Compare to Marvel:
Iron Man: Hell yes. Would be like the movie Hangover.
Black Widow: Hell yes. Likely would wind up handcuffed to the bed.
Thor: Hell yes. Who in the helll knows where you would wake up.
Banner/Hulk: Banner, no unless you want to scientific theories; Hulk: hell yes: just smash things.
Captain America: No , he wouldn't go for a beer.
All of the Guardians: hell yes. Another crazy night.

I get where you coming from.

I HATED the Whedon mess... and the scene with the lasso of truth was vomit inducing. :rolleyes:

The Snyder Cut was borderline epic. The run time was a bit much, but if you think about it you could watch this on its own and forget watching the other 'prequel' movies... except Superman... because you know Amy Adams.

The Flash actually comes to life in this movie and you can see his true worth to TJL. Cyborg you really get an incite into his inner turmoil. Aquaman... the only benefit to him being in these movies is Hera (Amber Heard), but in Snyder's version he actually kicks ass. Wonder Woman (Gal) is integral to forming TJL, and it wouldn't exist if Batman hadn't enlisted her first. Snyder brings them all together and illustrates how all of their powers compliment each other, when they work together as a team they are unstoppable, when one falters, they fail... but they have... (not spoiling this)

I need to rewatch this again... without my 8 yo son asking questions every 5 minutes and providing a running commentary throughout... as I am sure I missed a lot. lol

I HATED the Whedon mess... and the scene with the lasso of truth was vomit inducing. :rolleyes:

The Snyder Cut was borderline epic. The run time was a bit much, but if you think about it you could watch this on its own and forget watching the other 'prequel' movies... except Superman... because you know Amy Adams.

The Flash actually comes to life in this movie and you can see his true worth to TJL. Cyborg you really get an incite into his inner turmoil. Aquaman... the only benefit to him being in these movies is Hera (Amber Heard), but in Snyder's version he actually kicks ass. Wonder Woman (Gal) is integral to forming TJL, and it wouldn't exist if Batman hadn't enlisted her first. Snyder brings them all together and illustrates how all of their powers compliment each other, when they work together as a team they are unstoppable, when one falters, they fail... but they have... (not spoiling this)

I need to rewatch this again... without my 8 yo son asking questions every 5 minutes and providing a running commentary throughout... as I am sure I missed a lot. lol

First, the lasso scene is awesome.

Second, it’s ‘Mera’ :)

Reactions: lionroar88
Their b-list roster is pretty awful - Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, etc. There’s a reason they focus on the Trinity. That said, the right script/director could make them work - like Marvel did with Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. I think you’ll see a version of this with James Gunn’s new Suicide Squad movie.

Agree . it’s awful because DC doesn’t have a clue how to handle them. Green Lantern could be every bit as interesting as any of the Marvel characters, although I always did think Superman was the most boring of them. Wonder Woman had a lot of potential and then they ruined the second movie. I thought their version of Aquaman stunk as well.
I watched the Snyder Version over the weekend and while it now made more sense
I still thought it was messy.
No wonder the guy who played cyborg was pissed at Whedon. But it was still too bloated.
The first Guardians of the galaxy was on TNT last night and it’s still is fun and I watched it again. The first 2 Batman’s are the only movie in the DC universe I would do that with.

IMO, Marvel has it all over any DC production. The story lines are better and, to me, a key part is that the actors in the Marvel films are way more entertaining than the mundane and boring Ben Affleck, Jason Momoa, and Henry Cavill. Gal Gadot is the only one worthy of screen time.
Plus the entire story is so similar to the Marvel Infinity Wars and Infinity Wars story is way more engaging. Flash, Green Lantern, ......(snoring sounds). And yeah, superhero stuff is overdone now. We need more
Coen Brothers stuff.

Watched the Snyder cut yesterday in its entirety. Simply amazing. Dark, action, humor, reality, unreality, it’s all there.

ADVERTISEMENT