ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: BWI Film Club - Justice League, The Snyder Cut! Jared Leto debuts yet *another* Joker....

Midnighter2

Jan 21, 2021
Okay, so I had zero interest in a Zack Snyder cut of Justice League (which was a mess, but ultimately a decent flick that delivered some pretty fun action sequences and interactions) but Leto, fresh off of Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild nominations for 'The Little Things' drops a couple of new Joker pics as he will appear in the Snyder cut of the Justice League film. I don't know if we have Joker fatigue yet, but I've loved every version of the Joker, including Leto's tattooed wannabe gangster from 'Suicide Squad', and now I have to watch this, which I hear is some 4 hours long. Dammit. Thoughts gentlemen?

Joker-Justice-League-First-Look-02.jpg

Joker-first-look-embed.jpg

Okay, so I had zero interest in a Zack Snyder cut of Justice League (which was a mess, but ultimately a decent flick that delivered some pretty fun action sequences and interactions) but Leto, fresh off of Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild nominations for 'The Little Things' drops a couple of new Joker pics as he will appear in the Snyder cut of the Justice League film. I don't know if we have Joker fatigue yet, but I've loved every version of the Joker, including Leto's tattooed wannabe gangster from 'Suicide Squad', and now I have to watch this, which I hear is some 4 hours long. Dammit. Thoughts gentlemen?

I'll probably watch it but I wont make a point of it. I pretty much hated Justice League, at least the parts I could see, someone buy Snyder a kleig light. And I know its a re-occuring role but I'm getting Leto'd out as the psycho. He's such a good actor I'm hoping he starts passing on the "edgy" roles.

Reactions: Midnighter2
I'll probably watch it but I wont make a point of it. I pretty much hated Justice League, at least the parts I could see, someone buy Snyder a kleig light. And I know its a re-occuring role but I'm getting Leto'd out as the psycho. He's such a good actor I'm hoping he starts passing on the "edgy" roles.

I still haven't watched 'The Little Things' and agree about TJL; the best parts were the 'everyone standing around talking and stuff' because it was cool to see WW, Batman, Aquaman, etc. just sort of chilling. The funny thing about all this is there never was a Snyder Cut; but, WB bowed to pressure anyway (because the internet) and gave Snyder a bunch of money to add a bunch of stuff that was never even in the film. Such as Joker, black suited Superman, etc. The movie failed to do what it was supposed to do and that was set up Darkseid as the big bad - maybe they'll have more luck this time. They have the right actors for every role IMO - the movies just aren't very fun (well, the individual movies are okay - WW's movies and the Aquaman movie were pretty good; they haven't figured out Batman yet and no one cares about Cyborg or Flash - yet).

Reactions: BBrown
I still haven't watched 'The Little Things' and agree about TJL; the best parts were the 'everyone standing around talking and stuff' because it was cool to see WW, Batman, Aquaman, etc. just sort of chilling. The funny thing about all this is there never was a Snyder Cut; but, WB bowed to pressure anyway (because the internet) and gave Snyder a bunch of money to add a bunch of stuff that was never even in the film. Such as Joker, black suited Superman, etc. The movie failed to do what it was supposed to do and that was set up Darkseid as the big bad - maybe they'll have more luck this time. They have the right actors for every role IMO - the movies just aren't very fun (well, the individual movies are okay - WW's movies and the Aquaman movie were pretty good; they haven't figured out Batman yet and no one cares about Cyborg or Flash - yet).

I don't know what it is with DC but they don't have a clue as to how to do a good Superhero movie. Oh they had a nice blueprint with Bale's Batman movies and the first WW movie but everything else is just awful.
The CW and some others, Netflix, HBO Max, do a much better job.
Oh and by the way many thanks for the heads up on Doom Patrol. I'm about 3/4 of the way through Season 1 and its a hoot.
Brandon Frasier is pretty funny and I love the Narrator/Mr. Nobody.

When you look at the story arc of the Marvel's films and how they interwove them. Plus just how some films stood on their own as really good films (Captain America Winter Solider was a great film by itself) and then compare them to some of the Batman vs Superman and The Justice League and Aquaman, etc...it is night and day difference. Throw in the X-man movies as another similar comparison that although not as good as Avengers was still much better than Justice League movies.

I don't know what it is with DC but they don't have a clue as to how to do a good Superhero movie. Oh they had a nice blueprint with Bale's Batman movies and the first WW movie but everything else is just awful.
Oh and by the way many thanks for the heads up on Doom Patrol. I'm about 3/4 of the way through Season 1 and its a hoot.

Man - Doom Patrol S2 is amazing! It’s a bit tough to get through S1 but it’s worth it. Trust me.

I may have missed this and don't want to derail the thread.......but what happened to the "original" Midnighter?

Big Batman fan here..... and yes, DC seems to drop the ball over and over and over. I mean, you are handed 3 of the most famous and followed superheroes in the world (the Bat, Supes, and WW) and most recognizable villains (Joker, Penquin, Doom, Lex) and you cannot get your crap together?!?!?

Anyway, @Midnighter2 and @BBrown I've been ambivalent on launching into Doom Patrol. You say it is worth the watch?

Oh, and who are we kidding... we will all watch the redo of TJL.... if only to see Gal Gadot again.

Big Batman fan here..... and yes, DC seems to drop the ball over and over and over. I mean, you are handed 3 of the most famous and followed superheroes in the world (the Bat, Supes, and WW) and most recognizable villains (Joker, Penquin, Doom, Lex) and you cannot get your crap together?!?!?

Anyway, @Midnighter2 and @BBrown I've been ambivalent on launching into Doom Patrol. You say it is worth the watch?

It’s tough - S1 feels a bit slow but it’s a complicated world they’re trying to build. Very non-traditional super-hero tropes. Still, it’s very fun and dark and amusing at times and they have a tremendous cast. S2 is where the show demonstrates its potential. Give it a go but be patient. It’s worth it.

Reactions: ewb75 and BBrown

it’s because they kill freakin Superman in basically the first of what was supposed to be an arc similar to the avengers arc

avengers = 22 movies and tied up in a nice bow

DC = kill Superman in first movie 🙄

Oh, and who are we kidding... we will all watch the redo of TJL.... if only to see Gal Gadot again.

I'm only on episode 6 (I think) of season 1 and I love it. Its funny, irreverent and just a lot of fun.
The only character I'm not sure about is Cyborg and thats because I'm iffy on the actor, he wouldn't have been my first choice. But everything else is excellent.

I'm only on episode 6 (I think) of season 1 and I love it. Its funny, irreverent and just a lot of fun.
The only character I'm not sure about is Cyborg and thats because I'm iffy on the actor, he wouldn't have been my first choice. But everything else is excellent.

Felt the same. He ends up being a solid choice.

Dude - S2 - ‘Make. Wish.’ 💀

It is hard to watch the DC movies sometime. The material is so dark yet those that hold the purse strings want to compete head to head with Marvel causing issues. Look no further than Justice League. They drove out Snyder and replaced with him with Mr. Avenger himself Joss Whedon who rewrote the screenplay while making/refilming the movie in adhoc fashion. They more or less did the same when the cut and recut Batman vs. Superman. The Ultimate version is closer to what Snyder wanted and considerably better but again, without completely recuting it, there are limits due to studio involvement. Again, typical Hollywood nonsense. Most of DCs best material is best suited to smaller audiences whereas Marvel's is more suited to bigger audiences with the exception of the X-Men. But, it costs a lot of money to make a super hero movie so what are they to do? Hopefully this is will be a great recut and they'll allow Snyder to take a crack of Dawn of Justice.

Justice League needs to add more characters. One good thing about Avengers is there was a lot of main characters and then more sub character good guys. Justice League needs to add to Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Cyborg. Add some sub good guy characters to the mix.

It is hard to watch the DC movies sometime. The material is so dark yet those that hold the purse strings want to compete head to head with Marvel causing issues. Look no further than Justice League. They drove out Snyder and replaced with him with Mr. Avenger himself Joss Whedon who rewrote the screenplay while making/refilming the movie in adhoc fashion. They more or less did the same when the cut and recut Batman vs. Superman. The Ultimate version is closer to what Snyder wanted and considerably better but again, without completely recuting it, there are limits due to studio involvement. Again, typical Hollywood nonsense. Most of DCs best material is best suited to smaller audiences whereas Marvel's is more suited to bigger audiences with the exception of the X-Men. But, it costs a lot of money to make a super hero movie so what are they to do? Hopefully this is will be a great recut and they'll allow Snyder to take a crack of Dawn of Justice.

Snyder wasn’t driven out - his daughter killed herself and he stepped down to grieve. Instead of waiting for him to return WB got Whedon to pitch in and the result was awful (just look at how much better Steppenwolf looks here...).

Reactions: PS4814 and BBrown
Justice League needs to add more characters. One good thing about Avengers is there was a lot of main characters and then more sub character good guys. Justice League needs to add to Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Cyborg. Add some sub good guy characters to the mix.

Their b-list roster is pretty awful - Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, etc. There’s a reason they focus on the Trinity. That said, the right script/director could make them work - like Marvel did with Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. I think you’ll see a version of this with James Gunn’s new Suicide Squad movie.

Reactions: ewb75

+1. They need to add a good Green Lantern, my vote would be for a Omari Hardwick or Sterling K Brown version of John Stewart.

Snyder wasn’t driven out - his daughter killed herself and he stepped down to grieve. Instead of waiting for him to return WB got Whedon to pitch in and the result was awful (just look at how much better Steppenwolf looks here...).

Oh you mean the character I can actually see now? LOL.

Their b-list roster is pretty awful - Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, etc. There’s a reason they focus on the Trinity. That said, the right script/director could make them work - like Marvel did with Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. I think you’ll see a version of this with James Gunn’s new Suicide Squad movie.

I really like both Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter. The only good thing about that godawful CW version of Super Girl was Martian Manhunter.

i agree that the b-list is not writing it's own script, although I thought Ryan Reynold and Green Lantern was a great movie, if your definition of great is awful acting, awful script, and just generally one of the worst attempts at a movie ever. But not like you are not allowed to spruce up the b-list a little bit and give them a little more juice than the original cartoon/comic book characters. And not like you could not introduce a new character or two from scratch, there is nothing that says you cannot create a new superhero.

Likely one of the few who does not find myself interested in many superhero films outside of Batman, so perhaps this opinion should not be weighted too heavily...but after the outstanding performance of the late Heath Ledger as the Joker (and that particular series of Batman movies), no other depictions really have been of much interest.

Reactions: lionroar88
i agree that the b-list is not writing it's own script, although I thought Ryan Reynold and Green Lantern was a great movie, if your definition of great is awful acting, awful script, and just generally one of the worst attempts at a movie ever. But not like you are not allowed to spruce up the b-list a little bit and give them a little more juice than the original cartoon/comic book characters. And not like you could not introduce a new character or two from scratch, there is nothing that says you cannot create a new superhero.

EFE05-FC4-C89-F-48-D8-81-C2-D22-B09773-E02.gif

I watched a breakdown of the new trailer that made me more hyped to check out the new cut. One interesting piece they shared is that we’ll get a greatly expanded Knightmare sequence which is similar to Iron Man’s vision at the beginning of the Marvel universe with all our hero’s dead. Apparently the original plan was to have a 5 movie arc that leads to the final confrontation with Darkseid and the Knightmare sequence was our “flash forward” to what will occur unless Batman can form the Justice League - or perhaps did occur which is why The Flash appeared to Batman when having this vision. I did not get that when I watched the original film, but makes more sense now.

Wrt the Joker the word is that he serves as the “Ghost of Christmas Future” during Batman’s vision, another example of Batman’s failures that would have been explored in additional films.

Last edited:

Both are actually true. Snyder stepped away but wanted to return to assemble the final version. He wasn't allowed because WB wanted Whedon.

Worthwhile flick on Netflix, I Care A Lot. Story of an unscrupulous woman who is in the guardian for the elderly scam game and things go wrong with one of her new charges. Stars Rosamund Pike, Dianne Weist, & Peter Dinklage.

Worthwhile flick on Netflix, I Care A Lot. Story of an unscrupulous woman who is in the guardian for the elderly scam game and things go wrong with one of her new charges. Stars Rosamund Pike, Dianne Weist, & Peter Dinklage.

Yeah, this looks good! Rosamund Pike needs to do more stuff. She’s awesome.

Ill watch it. Interesting to see what they do with Darkseid. But I agree, overall the DC movies are inferior to Marvel. The WW1984 movie was just flat out bad.

I’m not just “Jokered” out, I’m “comic booked” out. Can’t they come up with something original anymore?

Okay, who’s watched this? I spent an evening with some rum punch and the Snyder Cut and well, really, really liked it. Thoughts? Please warn if spoiling for others...

Reactions: colt21
Okay, who’s watched this? I spent an evening with some rum punch and the Snyder Cut and well, really, really liked it. Thoughts? Please warn if spoiling for others...

I guess I'll give it a shot, the 4 hour run time is a bit daunting but I really disliked Whedon's version. The fact that he restored Martian Man hunter has me interested.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT