ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Austin area chef Gabe Erales wins Top Chef; and now, stories about his 'behavior' are coming out...

Midnighter2

Jan 21, 2021
First, Top Chef this year was awesome. Set in Portland, filmed during COVID, the show managed to deliver week after week with interesting competitions and top contestants. It has really evolved from the cutthroat days in its early years where chefs would rat each other out for spending too much money at the grocery store, changing recipes, etc. It's so collegial and kind hearted anymore, but it doesn't stop the chefs from being competitive. Really great balance and perfect example of a show pushing itself to get better and better. That said...

I finally watched the finale yesterday and was sort of shocked Gabe Erales won. Not that he doesn't have great credentials (former executive chef at Comedor in Austin, worked at Noma in Copenhagen and Mexico City, etc.), but nearly every dish he made included a tortilla or mole of some sort. I was rooting for Japanese chef Shota since I believe perfecting Japanese cuisine is as difficult if not moreso than French (no butter, cheese, oil, little seasoning, etc.) and it was refreshing to see someone doing something different for a change. Plus, he was the top performer all year. Anyway, Gabe wins, and soon after the story of why he was fired from Comedor in Dec. 2020 start coming out, and it's not a good look (he played up that he's a family man on the show, but had an affair with a female employee at the restaurant, and when he returned from Top Chef he started 'harassing' her, limiting her hours, etc., and was subsequently fired). Supposedly the Top Chef people were unaware of any of this, and with progressive judges like Tom Colicchio and Padma Lakshmi, will be interesting to see what, if anything, they do about it.

Did anyone watch this year? The other finalist, Dawn, is a Philly area native and former Olympian. She made awesome food but struggled with the details (especially plating). I think she has a restaurant in Texas too.

Great post Midnighter. I haven’t watched the show but after reading this I’m going to go back and find it on demand.

Ah - sorry for the spoiler. Crap. Still worth watching - be sure to watch Last Chance Kitchen too.

Reactions: Nitwit
ADVERTISEMENT