ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Anyone with experience navigating the private/independent school scene?

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

We're getting started for my daughter who will be in kindergarten next fall. She's been in a private pre-school since she was nine months old and her school is curriculum based and her current schedule includes daily Spanish, technology, art, music, and reading/writing/math lessons. This in addition to ballet, soccer, and a weekly science immersion course. Wife and I are considering private schools in the NoVa/DC area and have met with a consultant (who was very, very helpful) to discuss what may be a good a fit for our daughter, and what options are available (there are many). Was really interesting to learn how each of the schools we are considering emphasize different things - one was really 'whole student' based and made community/public service an emphasis; another was more technology focused/forward (an Apple Distinguished School) with an emphasis on classics in the upper school; others were more academically rigorous, etc.

We are a bit ahead of schedule since she can't take her WPPSI test until later this year, and right now we're sort of doing informal open house visits (with more formal interviews/visits set up for later on). Does anyone have any experience with the private school process in general or in NoVa/DC more specifically? Thoughts? Anyone have any children who did well/not so well? Obviously, the public schools in the area are all really well thought of but our preference is for private school if possible.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

her school is curriculum based and her current schedule includes daily Spanish, technology, art, music, and reading/writing/math lessons. This in addition to ballet, soccer, and a weekly science immersion course.

Oh yeah, well both of my dogs can fetch a tennis ball.... ok, one of them only does it when he feels like it.

Seriously, kudos for getting you kids started early with language and other learning. That should pay great dividends down the road.

Oh yeah, well both of my dogs can fetch a tennis ball.... ok, one of them only does it when he feels like it.

Seriously, kudos for getting you kids started early with language and other learning. That should pay great dividends down the road.

Well, my wife is really the one pushing this. But, we're really happy with where our daughter is and how she's so excited about learning. She sings in Spanish and will often point out things to us she learns in science class (like types of clouds, etc.). We just want to keep it going, and we really like the small class sizes and more individual attention you get in private school. I'm not an education hawk by any stretch but do believe kids are capable of more at this age than stacking blocks, you know?

I
Well, my wife is really the one pushing this. But, we're really happy with where our daughter is and how she's so excited about learning. She sings in Spanish and will often point out things to us she learns in science class (like types of clouds, etc.). We just want to keep it going, and we really like the small class sizes and more individual attention you get in private school. I'm not an education hawk by any stretch but do believe kids are capable of more at this age than stacking blocks, you know?
my one BIL/SIL are big believers in specialized education, having sent the two oldest to various private schools and the youngest being homeschooled. All three kids are doing well. My other BIL/SIL are going the public school route (good school district) and both of them will be ok as well. Not criticizing your decision, but I wonder if the is a potential for burn out, like there is for competitive sports sometimes. It seems today that kids either have parents that don’t care about engaging them at all or have them in a half dozen activities at the same time. I think there was more of a happy medium back when I was growing up. While I’m sure that I would have been better off today if my parents pushed me to do more, back then I would have resisted.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I

my one BIL/SIL are big believers in specialized education, having sent the two oldest to various private schools and the youngest being homeschooled. All three kids are doing well. My other BIL/SIL are going the public school route (good school district) and both of them will be ok as well. Not criticizing your decision, but I wonder if the is a potential for burn out, like there is for competitive sports sometimes. It seems today that kids either have parents that don’t care about engaging them at all or have them in a half dozen activities at the same time. I think there was more of a happy medium back when I was growing up. While I’m sure that I would have been better off today if my parents pushed me to do more, back then I would have resisted.

I’m definitely concerned about burnout which is why the super academically focused schools are lower on my list. I want a well rounded educational experience with lots of extracurricular options. I’m careful about overload which is why her science class is only once a week.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
We're getting started for my daughter who will be in kindergarten next fall. She's been in a private pre-school since she was nine months old and her school is curriculum based and her current schedule includes daily Spanish, technology, art, music, and reading/writing/math lessons. This in addition to ballet, soccer, and a weekly science immersion course. Wife and I are considering private schools in the NoVa/DC area and have met with a consultant (who was very, very helpful) to discuss what may be a good a fit for our daughter, and what options are available (there are many). Was really interesting to learn how each of the schools we are considering emphasize different things - one was really 'whole student' based and made community/public service an emphasis; another was more technology focused/forward (an Apple Distinguished School) with an emphasis on classics in the upper school; others were more academically rigorous, etc.

We are a bit ahead of schedule since she can't take her WPPSI test until later this year, and right now we're sort of doing informal open house visits (with more formal interviews/visits set up for later on). Does anyone have any experience with the private school process in general or in NoVa/DC more specifically? Thoughts? Anyone have any children who did well/not so well? Obviously, the public schools in the area are all really well thought of but our preference is for private school if possible.

I have two kids that were very different since a young age. We sent one to public and one to private(starting in 6th grade).
The difference in education was staggering. I do need to say that the private school I sent my child to was ranked first in the state academically so it wasn’t just a money grub for rich kids.
ACT’s were 34 for private school kid and 25 for public school kid. Both ended up at pretty good universities with my private school child at a top 10 University.
Not to get political but get ready for a very liberal experience if you go the private school route.

Last edited:
I gave two kids that were very different since a young age. We sent one to public and one to private(starting in 6th grade).
The difference in education was staggering. I do need to say that the private school I sent my child to was ranked first in the state academically so it wasn’t just a money grub for rich kids.
ACT’s were 34 for private school kid and 25 for public school kid. Both ended up at pretty good universities with my private school child at a top 10 University.
Not to get political but get ready for a very liberal experience if you go the private school route.

Thanks! And with regard to your last sentence - all good with me ;).

I have two kids...my daughter went through our public school system here in SEPA. My son attended our public schools through elementary school and attended a private middle and is currently attending a private high school.

In areas with very good public schools (like NOVA and SEPA), I honestly think it’s a crapshoot and comes down to the kid. My daughter thrived in the public school setting with large classes, lots of ethnic and socioeconomic diversity, etc. My son does better in smaller settings and more focused education that is tailored to his interests and learning style, so I know he’s doing better where he is than he’d do at our public hs. He is very hands on and very creative and one thing that he’s missing out on, though is a really high level robotics program. Our public hs has a really good robotics team that is currently competing at Nationals. His private school teams up with 4 or 5 other private schools to form a team, and they are not nearly as dedicated nor successful at it.

I have a few friends that live in my area that make a hell of a lot more money than I do that send their kids to our public school. This causes me to scratch my head a bit when I make the tuition payments.

I have two kids...my daughter went through our public school system here in SEPA. My son attended our public schools through elementary school and attended a private middle and is currently attending a private high school.

In areas with very good public schools (like NOVA and SEPA), I honestly think it’s a crapshoot and comes down to the kid. My daughter thrived in the public school setting with large classes, lots of ethnic and socioeconomic diversity, etc. My son does better in smaller settings and more focused education that is tailored to his interests and learning style, so I know he’s doing better where he is than he’d do at our public hs. He is very hands on and very creative and one thing that he’s missing out on, though is a really high level robotics program. Our public hs has a really good robotics team that is currently competing at Nationals. His private school teams up with 4 or 5 other private schools to form a team, and they are not nearly as dedicated nor successful at it.

I have a few friends that live in my area that make a hell of a lot more money than I do that send their kids to our public school. This causes me to scratch my head a bit when I make the tuition payments.

I know some very wealthy people that live in great public school districts and insist their kids get the full US experience by going to public schools. Private schools give you a distorted view. Having said that, my 13 year old was just accepted to one of the better girls Catholic schools in the area. My wife, who is a pro, tells me that private schools are simply better launching points (have more authority, kids are surrounded by other high achievers, better networking). Schools that segregate girls and boys are also better for the kids, statistically. Studies show that mixing boys and girls is distracting in classes.

For me, I want the kid to have exposure to a lot of different experiences, cultures, opportunities, etc. I think growing up in the upper middle class is as good as life gets. I feel like they need to find what gives them enjoyment that you can craft a living on. The old saying is that if you enjoy what you do you will never work a day in your life.

I think back to some genius that made typing requirement to graduate. This was in the late 70's when typing was for secretaries. But of all my high school classes, that class ended up being the most valuable. As I look to the next 40 years, cultural sensitivity, multi-linguistics, and technology will all be even more valuable than they are today. The world will no longer be limited by geography.

Potomac is very good. Later, Madeira.

Potomac on the list but since it goes through 12th grade not sure we would leave if accepted. Also not sure how I feel about girls/boys only schools yet.

I know some very wealthy people that live in great public school districts and insist their kids get the full US experience by going to public schools. Private schools give you a distorted view. Having said that, my 13 year old was just accepted to one of the better girls Catholic schools in the area. My wife, who is a pro, tells me that private schools are simply better launching points (have more authority, kids are surrounded by other high achievers, better networking). Schools that segregate girls and boys are also better for the kids, statistically. Studies show that mixing boys and girls is distracting in classes.

For me, I want the kid to have exposure to a lot of different experiences, cultures, opportunities, etc. I think growing up in the upper middle class is as good as life gets. I feel like they need to find what gives them enjoyment that you can craft a living on. The old saying is that if you enjoy what you do you will never work a day in your life.

I think back to some genius that made typing requirement to graduate. This was in the late 70's when typing was for secretaries. But of all my high school classes, that class ended up being the most valuable. As I look to the next 40 years, cultural sensitivity, multi-linguistics, and technology will all be even more valuable than they are today. The world will no longer be limited by geography.

Agree about typing; and in NoVa diversity is a strength at both public and private schools (and communities in general).

Agree with the all boy/ girl thing. My son has been at all boys schools since elementary school. He was the target of an overly aggressive girl in 5th grade, believe it or not, that caused him some anguish.

I am in nova. Finances not really much of an issue for my family. Two kids to parochial elementary school in Arlington. girl to holy child for hs and boy to Gonzaga. Both did great.
1. If your wife is worried about this at kindergarten she is part of the problem, and she should stop hanging out on dcurbanmoms. Seriously, consultants for kindergarten is kinda grotesque with all due respect.
2. Kids develop at different paces. Just Find them a place they feel comfortable. If you are worried about mandarin and solving pi to 100 digits you should include an equal budget amount for psychotherapy later. At least in this area. Trust me this is not a make or break moment in your child’s life. IMO really hard to see the value proposition of independents at this age.
3. At this age do not cross the river. Your child will be socially isolated. Speaking from experience here w the boy.
4. While you may say this is about your daughter, ask yourself how much. As you know, in this area there are a lot of star****er parents at the elite independents. That and legacies.
5. With all that said Potomac is good for science for girls. Partners kids went there and plenty of good things to say, and he is not a guy who cares about all the private equity parents.
6. I was suspicious of same sex but both kids did in high school and I am a believer (at that age). They each get to learn in a more candid and open environment and it creates a neat support system with fewer of the traditional cliques. And the last thing they will need to worry about is boys and or girls

Last edited:
I am in nova. Finances not really much of an issue for my family. Two kids to parochial elementary school in Arlington. girl to holy child for hs and boy to Gonzaga. Both did great.
1. If your wife is worried about this at kindergarten she is part of the problem, and she should stop hanging out on dcurbanmoms. Seriously, consultants for kindergarten is kinda grotesque with all due respect.
2. Kids develop at different paces. Just Find them a place they feel comfortable. If you are worried about mandarin and solving pi to 100 digits you should include an equal budget amount for psychotherapy later. At least in this area. Trust me this is not a make or break moment in your child’s life. IMO really hard to see the value proposition of independents at this age.
3. At this age do not cross the river. Your child will be socially isolated. Speaking from experience here w the boy.
4. While you may say this is about your daughter, ask yourself how much. As you know, in this area there are a lot of star****er parents at the elite independents. That and legacies.
5. With all that said Potomac is good for science for girls. Partners kids went there and plenty of good things to say, and he is not a guy who cares about all the private equity parents.
6. I was suspicious of same sex but both kids did in high school and I am a believer (at that age). They each get to learn in a more candid and open environment and it creates a neat support system with fewer of the traditional cliques. And the last thing they will need to worry about is boys and or girls

Thanks for your comments, but I take exception to 'worrying' about this at kindergarten. In this area, I think it's foolish to try to navigate the private school scene without the help/advice of someone who knows the ins and outs better than we ever will especially given how competitive the area is. We want the best 'fit' (to your second point) for our daughter academically and socially - what we learned about some schools we had on our list (that we thought were excellent schools) was very enlightening and led to some immediate eliminations. We're not in this so we can go to black tie galas and rub elbows with DC's famous parents. Part of doing this now is so we're not competing for fewer slots down the road (high school, middle school). The thinking is get in now, and we won't (hopefully) have to do this later. Our consultant so far has been very thoughtful and worth the money and not at all pushy. We'll see how it goes from here.

Reactions: sarasotan
Thanks for your comments, but I take exception to 'worrying' about this at kindergarten. In this area, I think it's foolish to try to navigate the private school scene without the help/advice of someone who knows the ins and outs better than we ever will especially given how competitive the area is. We want the best 'fit' (to your second point) for our daughter academically and socially - what we learned about some schools we had on our list (that we thought were excellent schools) was very enlightening and led to some immediate eliminations. We're not in this so we can go to black tie galas and rub elbows with DC's famous parents. Part of doing this now is so we're not competing for fewer slots down the road (high school, middle school). The thinking is get in now, and we won't (hopefully) have to do this later. Our consultant so far has been very thoughtful and worth the money and not at all pushy. We'll see how it goes from here.
Not a believer in the buy in strategy. Your childnow and six years from now are extraordinarily different animals (and the schools may well be). And the hypercompetetion scenario is overstated; it’s what earns paychecks for consultants though

Best of luck.

Reactions: Sharkies
Not a believer in the buy in strategy. Your childnow and six years from now are extraordinarily different animals (and the schools may well be). And the hypercompetetion scenario is overstated; it’s what earns paychecks for consultants though

Best of luck.

Noted. Thanks again.

Many Potomac girls go to Madeira in order to get additional opportunities, but mainly to get the benefit of single-sex secondary school education. That is precisely when it matters the most.

Many Potomac girls go to Madeira in order to get additional opportunities, but mainly to get the benefit of single-sex secondary school education. That is precisely when it matters the most.

Thanks for this - something worth digging into a bit more as she gets older.

Reactions: sarasotan

If you have an interest in the Langley School in McLean I can have the Director of their Lower School get in touch with you. She grew up with my wife, was in our wedding party, and has been with the school for as long as I can remember. I'm sure she would be happy to meet to discuss your situation and answer any questions you may have.

https://www.langleyschool.org/academics

Last edited:
If you have an interest in the Langley School in McLean I can have the Director of their Lower School to get in touch with you. She grew up with my wife, was in our wedding party, and has been with the school for as long as I can remember. I'm sure she would be happy to meet to discuss your situation and answer any questions you may have.

https://www.langleyschool.org/academics

We weren’t familiar but heard great things from our consultant - she speaks very highly of their lower school and director. Will definitely keep this in mind and thanks for the offer!

My twins went through independent private school (K-12) in Annapolis MD. I would not send them to the public schools. My advice is to visit, visit, visit and ask lots of questions. Curriculum matters. I was astonished at the differences I saw between the work our kids did compared to the same aged kids in public. The workload was heavy but they all are in the same boat and it was EXPECTED of them. I never heard them complain. My daughter had suffered a serious brain bleed at birth. If she had been in public school she would have been labeled slow and never had gone to college. As it turned out she did go to Penn State and graduated with a 3.51 gpa. Both are successful today. We used to hear stories from the college counselor about how Key graduates would go to college and be labeled as the kid on the dorm floor who knew how to write a paper. Our kids had the same experience. There school had a strong emphasis on writing. For PE they had to participate in a school team. Private is worth every penny and it will be lots of pennies. We have never regretted the decision. One more thing. Take a close look at the students. Talk to some if you can. It wil tell you a lot.

NOVA publics are some of the best in the nation. Save your cash and go to the local public.

Yes, still exploring them as well. Looking to move soon so public schools are a top consideration.

My twins went through independent private school (K-12) in Annapolis MD. I would not send them to the public schools. My advice is to visit, visit, visit and ask lots of questions. Curriculum matters. I was astonished at the differences I saw between the work our kids did compared to the same aged kids in public. The workload was heavy but they all are in the same boat and it was EXPECTED of them. I never heard them complain. My daughter had suffered a serious brain bleed at birth. If she had been in public school she would have been labeled slow and never had gone to college. As it turned out she did go to Penn State and graduated with a 3.51 gpa. Both are successful today. We used to hear stories from the college counselor about how Key graduates would go to college and be labeled as the kid on the dorm floor who knew how to write a paper. Our kids had the same experience. There school had a strong emphasis on writing. For PE they had to participate in a school team. Private is worth every penny and it will be lots of pennies. We have never regretted the decision. One more thing. Take a close look at the students. Talk to some if you can. It wil tell you a lot.

Thanks - appreciate the personal stories and experience; this is all very helpful!

My son is also going to kindergarten next year. He spent most of today making jokes about poop and asking me if Darth Vader farts in his suit. I’m sure he thinks Mandarin is an orange, or a super hero villain. He did great on his kindergarten assessment however.

Public schools in most suburban counties in the northeast are very good. Teachers get paid much more at public schools in almost every instance (although teacher pay in Virginia is not great), and it shows in many ways. Public schools are also much better suited for children needing special attention on both ends of her spectrum. Public’s are much better spotting and handling learning issues, and do a great job on upper level courses and gifted tracks for those who need it. Other than potentially smaller classes and a self selected student body, there is little a private does better than a 1st class public school district.

My son is also going to kindergarten next year. He spent most of today making jokes about poop and asking me if Darth Vader farts in his suit. I’m sure he thinks Mandarin is an orange, or a super hero villain. He did great on his kindergarten assessment however.

Public schools in most suburban counties in the northeast are very good. Teachers get paid much more at public schools in almost every instance (although teacher pay in Virginia is not great), and it shows in many ways. Public schools are also much better suited for children needing special attention on both ends of her spectrum. Public’s are much better spotting and handling learning issues, and do a great job on upper level courses and gifted tracks for those who need it. Other than potentially smaller classes and a self selected student body, there is little a private does better than a 1st class public school district.

Thanks for the info. Is your son mentioned your first? Or do you have others to base the rest of your experience upon?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aardvark, what year did your son graduate Gonzaga? I am a proud Gonzaga alum myself.

Midnighter, as a father to an 18 month old daughter, I empathize. I now no longer live in the DC area (live in Delco, PA), but I can tell you the competition aspect is very over blown, if your daughter is bright, and you have deep enough pockets, she can go anywhere. I got accepted into every private high school I applied to from a parochial elementary school in PG County.

Aardvark, what year did your son graduate Gonzaga? I am a proud Gonzaga alum myself.

Midnighter, as a father to an 18 month old daughter, I empathize. I now no longer live in the DC area (live in Delco, PA), but I can tell you the competition aspect is very over blown, if your daughter is bright, and you have deep enough pockets, she can go anywhere. I got accepted into every private high school I applied to from a parochial elementary school in PG County.

LOL - thanks (doesn’t make me feel any better though!). A lot depends on the kid and I know they’re all different - I can see a huge difference in my son who is 18 months now. Having said that, when you hear things like the Marais School only accepts 10 female kindergartners per year, you get anxious. Still, I think many here think I’m lording over my daughter with a ruler and stacks of Latin books. Far from it - she’s a kid, like most others, who has an interest in learning and who is encouraged to explore that in all facets in formal and informal settings. She has a kid sense of humor and is always willing to share her jokes (which mostly contain the words poop and baby).

We just want to do what we think is best in terms of giving her the most opportunity - many of our friends and colleagues are products of private schools and elite colleges - it’s hard not to see the connection. I really do appreciate your story and others - my pockets aren’t deep enough for any guarantee... ;)

I’m definitely concerned about burnout which is why the super academically focused schools are lower on my list. I want a well rounded educational experience with lots of extracurricular options. I’m careful about overload which is why her science class is only once a week.
We’re in the Philly region, v different market from yours. Agree on well-rounded school to start. See what the child needs/wants.

Most important realization we found is that in the private/independent world, there really seems to be a school for every kid. Be willing to do whatever it takes to preserve and protect your child’s love for learning, even if it means leaving the “best” school. They all love to learn early. If that doesn’t seem to be the case, something’s wrong.

And for the young ones, the WPPSI is unreliable. If something doesn’t seem right, YOU’RE the expert on your kid, not the experts.

I work in the public school system. My wife did for six years and is now teaching in a private school. We send our children to private schools, even at a strong financial hit. Of money cuts we talk about making, private school is never one of the options.

I work in the public school system. My wife did for six years and is now teaching in a private school. We send our children to private schools, even at a strong financial hit. Of money cuts we talk about making, private school is never one of the options.

Sort of jives with what most are saying here - thanks for the comments!

This year. Headed to Uva in the fall. Awesome experience. Not just an education. A formation. Hail Gonzaga.

NOVA publics are some of the best in the nation. Save your cash and go to the local public.
Some very good options indeed, though a wider range as well. of course tj at the hs level (though of course there’s no early buy in option there and competition may actually be worse than for independents).

Reactions: bison13
LOL - thanks (doesn’t make me feel any better though!). A lot depends on the kid and I know they’re all different - I can see a huge difference in my son who is 18 months now. Having said that, when you hear things like the Marais School only accepts 10 female kindergartners per year, you get anxious. Still, I think many here think I’m lording over my daughter with a ruler and stacks of Latin books. Far from it - she’s a kid, like most others, who has an interest in learning and who is encouraged to explore that in all facets in formal and informal settings. She has a kid sense of humor and is always willing to share her jokes (which mostly contain the words poop and baby).

We just want to do what we think is best in terms of giving her the most opportunity - many of our friends and colleagues are products of private schools and elite colleges - it’s hard not to see the connection. I really do appreciate your story and others - my pockets aren’t deep enough for any guarantee... ;)
Incidentally, know two maret kids who both did well and neither came from elementary. Fine kids but seems like every couple years the seniors do something collosally stupid.

My sons first joke (age 3):
Q- Why did monster go to grocery store?
A- to get himself a new pair of eyeballs.

Just be careful you don’t confuse causation and correlation. A few elite colleges make a difference in the long term. Increasingly, less so (if not the complete opposite). These days I’ll hire somebody who’s hungry and has real world perspective over pedigree any day. Check out the recent Brian Caplan interview in the journal.

ADVERTISEMENT