ADVERTISEMENT

fc OT a case for 2 non conference champs in the CFP- OSU, Louisville..link

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...f-could-end-up-with-two-non-division-winners/

I have been batting around this chaotic idea in my head all day since doing a live video this morning about the latest College Football Playoff rankings. It sure seems as though we could be heading to an interesting College Football Playoff lineup, in which the third year proves there is no year-to-year formula for putting the playoff together. Each year will be different, like a snowflake. This one just so happens to be one of the oddest snowflakes ever.

The latest College Football Playoff rankings released on Tuesday night bumped Ohio State up to second place, behind No. 1 Alabama. That seems to have the Buckeyes in a very comfortable position to make the playoff, assuming it takes care of rival Michigan in the final game of the regular season. Of course, as has been discussed from multiple angles by now, we have a real possibility of Ohio State going 11-1, beating Michigan and still being locked out from playing for the Big Ten championship. That is because Penn State will represent the Big Ten East in Indianapolis if — and this is a big “if” — the Nittany Lions win their final two games (at Rutgers, vs. Michigan State) and Ohio State defeats Michigan. If you are Ohio State, this seems pretty frustrating as a Big Ten title would sure be nice. On the flip side, however, Ohio State could still be pretty comfy in that second spot in the rankings without having to risk playing in a championship game. It’s like old times in the Big Ten!

Ohio State could very well put the selection committee to the test this season, because they could be a top two team without a division championship. How are you going to leave out an 11-1 Ohio State at the end of the year when they are second in your ranking in the middle of November and will have a win against your third-best team? The simple answer, I think, is they won’t. Ohio State, despite not winning its division, is on course to become the first team in the playoff era to be selected to play in the four-team playoff despite not winning (or playing for) a conference title.

And the bets part yet, Louisville could potentially do the same.

The latest College Football Playoff ranking put Louisville in the “First Team Out” spot at No. 5, right behind Clemson. Louisville is in a similar position as Ohio State, in that they could finish the season with an 11-1 record and be locked out of playing for the ACC championship. Right now, Clemson stands in the way, thanks to a head-to-head tiebreaker from September. It looks as though Clemson is going to go on to play for the ACC Championship as they need a win against Wake Forest to clinch the ACC Atlantic Division this weekend. But what if Clemson were to lose to Virginia Tech (or North Carolina) in the ACC Championship Game? Oh my, we’d have some chaos on our hands.

For starters, Clemson would drop out of the top four in the playoff ranking, and given the current rankings, that could give Louisville one last chance to sneak in. Of course, staying ahead of a one-loss Pac-12 champion might be difficult (but who says Washington is guaranteed to win the Pac-12 anyway?), and nobody knows what kind of surge a two-loss Big Ten champion (Wisconsin or Penn State) might receive from the committee.

Could we see two non-division winners in the College Football Playoff? It probably remains a bit of a long shot, but it is most certainly not out of the question. The committee is tasked to field the four best teams in the country. Ohio State and Louisville, each with 11-1 records, would be more than strong enough candidates given a little bit of chaos down the stretch.

Follow @KevinOnCFB

View 6 Comments

I think this is predicting that the 4 CFP teams will be Alabama, Ohio State, Louisville, and Clemson. Alabama would be undefeated and the other 3 would have only 1 loss. Even if we win out and beat Wisconsin, I can see this scenario playing out. We would end up in the Rose Bowl and would not have to play Alabama. This might be a win - win situation for us.

I think this is predicting that the 4 CFP teams will be Alabama, Ohio State, Louisville, and Clemson. Alabama would be undefeated and the other 3 would have only 1 loss. Even if we win out and beat Wisconsin, I can see this scenario playing out. We would end up in the Rose Bowl and would not have to play Alabama. This might be a win - win situation for us.
OTOH , we could beat Alabama and play for the national championship!! That would be cool, don't you think?

OTOH , we could beat Alabama and play for the national championship!! That would be cool, don't you think?
Yea, I would love for us to beat Alabama and win the national championship. I love Penn State football and want what is best for us. I would also love to see us beat the Dallas Cowboys or New England and win the Super Bowl. I think we have as much chance this year against Alabama as we would against the Cowboys. Thus, I'm hoping for the Rose Bowl.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...f-could-end-up-with-two-non-division-winners/

I have been batting around this chaotic idea in my head all day since doing a live video this morning about the latest College Football Playoff rankings. It sure seems as though we could be heading to an interesting College Football Playoff lineup, in which the third year proves there is no year-to-year formula for putting the playoff together. Each year will be different, like a snowflake. This one just so happens to be one of the oddest snowflakes ever.

The latest College Football Playoff rankings released on Tuesday night bumped Ohio State up to second place, behind No. 1 Alabama. That seems to have the Buckeyes in a very comfortable position to make the playoff, assuming it takes care of rival Michigan in the final game of the regular season. Of course, as has been discussed from multiple angles by now, we have a real possibility of Ohio State going 11-1, beating Michigan and still being locked out from playing for the Big Ten championship. That is because Penn State will represent the Big Ten East in Indianapolis if — and this is a big “if” — the Nittany Lions win their final two games (at Rutgers, vs. Michigan State) and Ohio State defeats Michigan. If you are Ohio State, this seems pretty frustrating as a Big Ten title would sure be nice. On the flip side, however, Ohio State could still be pretty comfy in that second spot in the rankings without having to risk playing in a championship game. It’s like old times in the Big Ten!

Ohio State could very well put the selection committee to the test this season, because they could be a top two team without a division championship. How are you going to leave out an 11-1 Ohio State at the end of the year when they are second in your ranking in the middle of November and will have a win against your third-best team? The simple answer, I think, is they won’t. Ohio State, despite not winning its division, is on course to become the first team in the playoff era to be selected to play in the four-team playoff despite not winning (or playing for) a conference title.

The latest College Football Playoff ranking put Louisville in the “First Team Out” spot at No. 5, right behind Clemson. Louisville is in a similar position as Ohio State, in that they could finish the season with an 11-1 record and be locked out of playing for the ACC championship. Right now, Clemson stands in the way, thanks to a head-to-head tiebreaker from September. It looks as though Clemson is going to go on to play for the ACC Championship as they need a win against Wake Forest to clinch the ACC Atlantic Division this weekend. But what if Clemson were to lose to Virginia Tech (or North Carolina) in the ACC Championship Game? Oh my, we’d have some chaos on our hands.

For starters, Clemson would drop out of the top four in the playoff ranking, and given the current rankings, that could give Louisville one last chance to sneak in. Of course, staying ahead of a one-loss Pac-12 champion might be difficult (but who says Washington is guaranteed to win the Pac-12 anyway?), and nobody knows what kind of surge a two-loss Big Ten champion (Wisconsin or Penn State) might receive from the committee.

Could we see two non-division winners in the College Football Playoff? It probably remains a bit of a long shot, but it is most certainly not out of the question. The committee is tasked to field the four best teams in the country. Ohio State and Louisville, each with 11-1 records, would be more than strong enough candidates given a little bit of chaos down the stretch.

Follow @KevinOnCFB

View 6 Comments

No, I think he is saying L'ville gets in if Clemson loses. It will be a lot harder to put L'ville in with Clemson/OSU in as well. If UM beats OSU though, who do you put in - OSU or L'ville?

No, I think he is saying L'ville gets in if Clemson loses. It will be a lot harder to put L'ville in with Clemson/OSU in as well. If UM beats OSU though, who do you put in - OSU or L'ville?
Obviously a one loss Louisville gets in before a 2 loss OSU gets in.

Follow @KevinOnCFB

View 6 Comments

The problem with this theory is that it ignores the protocol that the selection committee follows in selecting who makes the playoffs. Where Ohio State is now is totally irrelevant to how they will be ranked come selection Sunday.

Every week, the committee starts off with a new slate. They don't start from the previous weeks rankings. They evaluate the teams based on the criteria that is in their publicly released protocol. Ohio State's problem is that that final weekend's games will result in six conference champions, and they are not likely to be one of those six champs. Since winning a conference championship is a key criteria for the committee, there is the quite real chance that several teams will then be ranked ahead of Ohio State because they won their conference.. The most likely team to get that higher ranking would be Penn State since they also hold another key criteria over Ohio State, i.e. head-to-head.

That said, the committee does have an out in that they can select a conference non-champion if they are "unequivocally" one of the four best teams in the country. I believe Ohio State could argue that - but there is no way that Louisville could. So while one non-champion might get in, the chance of two making it is extremely slim.

If UM beats Ohio State, the Buckeyes are out for sure. With losses to both PSU and Michigan, there is no way that Ohio State could be considered "unequivocally" one of the best four teams in the country, so they wouldn't have the criteria necessary to get a bid over teams who actually won their conference.

If UM beats Ohio State, the Buckeyes are out for sure. With losses to both PSU and Michigan, there is no way that Ohio State could be considered "unequivocally" one of the best four teams in the country, so they wouldn't have the criteria necessary to get a bid over teams who actually won their conference.

If Michigan beats Ohio State, Michigan will have possible wins over 4 top 10 teams (Ohio State, PSU, Wisky, Colorado) no way they aren't #2.

If Michigan beats Ohio State, Michigan will have possible wins over 4 top 10 teams (Ohio State, PSU, Wisky, Colorado) no way they aren't #2.
Michigan beats OSU

BOTH Michigan AND OSU are "in"........PSU is "out"

Wouldn't THAT get FRTR into hyper-space!! :)

Rutgers, Rutger, Rutgers.

And there this team called Wisconsin (MSU, MSU, MSU to not jinx) that PSU would have to beat. Wiscy is no pushover. They played Michigan better than anyone this year and had OSU beat before giving up some late scores. And Wiscy's biggest asset is their front 7 and Dline which would cause a potenially depleted PSU Oline some problems.

If OSU loses they're definitely out.

Louisville could end up winning out and being excluded in any event, but the chances of the Cardinals being excluded just increased again with the revelation that Wake Forest's game plan documents were discovered in the possession of the Cardinals. This story is really new, and the Wake Forest coach does not want to comment on it, but it could blow up big time. Right in Bobby Petrino's face. This is definitely NOT what the University needs now, coming right on top of the stripper scandal involving the mens' basketball team.

Houston playing at home tonight could make things a lot easier on the committee with a win over Louisville. On the other hand, a Heisman-like performance by Louisville QB in a decisive win will make them pucker a little more.

It is obvious the committee is looking for a reason to leave Louisville out & hoping that they are not forced to make that decision.

There are too many good teams to let a 2-loss non-conference champion into the playoff, unless total chaos ensues these last three weeks.

Rutgers, Rutger, Rutgers.

And there this team called Wisconsin (MSU, MSU, MSU to not jinx) that PSU would have to beat. Wiscy is no pushover. They played Michigan better than anyone this year and had OSU beat before giving up some late scores. And Wiscy's biggest asset is their front 7 and Dline which would cause a potenially depleted PSU Oline some problems.

Did you write this last week and forget to post it until today?

Follow @KevinOnCFB

View 6 Comments

Wrong, because no less then the Chairman of the Selection Committee has stated that credit and weighting IS GIVEN to winning a Conference Championship especially via Conference Championship Game, but that such credit and weighting, or LACK THEREOF, can't be given UNTIL IT ACTUALLY HAPPENS (which is exactly what was done in 2014 - TCU was in the Top 4 until the ranking AFTER Championship Weekend; whereupon, TCU was dropped 3 spots in the ranking DESPITE NOT PLAYING A GAME and daO$U was moved into the Top 4 AFTER winning the B1G Championship Game!).

ADVERTISEMENT