Houston, TX
ESPN Power Ranking

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Iowa
4. Oregon
i

5. Penn State Nittany Lions (3-0)​

Few teams have been tested through the first three games more than the Nittany Lions, who own one-score wins over both Wisconsin (road) and Auburn (home). Quarterback Sean Clifford had only four incomplete passes on 32 attempts and repeatedly found electric wide receiver Jahan Dotson, the best player on the field against Auburn (78 receiving yards and a touchdown, 22-yard pass, 16-yard punt return). PSU's defense struggled at times with Tank Bigsby and the Auburn run game, but Temple transfer Arnold Ebiketie continued to spark the defense with five tackles and three quarterback hurries. -- Adam Rittenberg

Don’t look at the FPI. Michigan moved up from twelve to six, Ohio State moved up one to three, while we dropped one spot to nine.
Sagarin has Michigan at 9. It would just be sad if we somehow got through Iowa and OSU only to drop a game to Michigan. This schedule is looking impossible. Nobody will go undefeated

Reactions: ftlpsu
Sagarin has Michigan at 9. It would just be sad if we somehow got through Iowa and OSU only to drop a game to Michigan. This schedule is looking impossible. Nobody will go undefeated
One of those years where a 2 loss B1G champion is within the realm of possibility. PSU might be the best team in the conference with a very tough schedule

Totally agree. The conference is up for grabs this year. PSU, OSU, and Iowa look to be the front runners right now - and maybe Michigan. I say maybe Michigan because - while they look strong right now - it's been against extremely weak competition and it could hurt them when they get into a rugged B1G schedule.

Right now, PSU looks to be the front runner - everything seems to be clicking on both sides of the ball. People and the media have been talking about Clifford, Porter and a few others, but my favorite is LB Luketa. He just seems to be constantly around the ball. A Sunday player for sure.

Iowa ? Obviously a great defense but do they have the offense to win it all ? Ferentz does more with less and just a top notch coach. Ferentz might be my favorite B1G coach.

OSU ? Go figure. They look totally confused right now but still have all of that on-paper talent. They have a few more games to get it together before that huge PSU-OSU game which I think will be the B1G game of the year. Right now I'd have PSU as a slight favorite but........ I do know the fans and news media are not happy right now in Columbus - some are extremely POd. Could that galvanize that team and bring them together ?

And moving around the country, it's not just OSU that's a head scratcher RIGHT NOW. Alabama came within a whisker of going into OT with Florida. Clemson looks like OSU - version 2 - especially on offense. They only beat Georgia Tech 14-8 yesterday. Just unreal. Just like OSU, they're breaking in a RS FR quarterback. Have to believe, though, that all three of those teams - Alabama, Clemson, and OSU will get better and better as the season progresses. My point: it's a long, long season.

Totally agree. The conference is up for grabs this year. PSU, OSU, and Iowa look to be the front runners right now - and maybe Michigan. I say maybe Michigan because - while they look strong right now - it's been against extremely weak competition and it could hurt them when they get into a rugged B1G schedule.

Right now, PSU looks to be the front runner - everything seems to be clicking on both sides of the ball. People and the media have been talking about Clifford, Porter and a few others, but my favorite is LB Luketa. He just seems to be constantly around the ball. A Sunday player for sure.

Iowa ? Obviously a great defense but do they have the offense to win it all ? Ferentz does more with less and just a top notch coach.

OSU ? Go figure. They look totally confused right now but still have all of that on-paper talent. They have a few more games to get it together before that huge PSU-OSU game which I think will be the B1G game of the year. Right now I'd have PSU as a slight favorite but........ I do know the fans and news media are not happy right now in Columbus - some are extremely POd. Could that galvanize that team and bring them together ?

And moving around the country, it's not just OSU that's a head scratcher RIGHT NOW. Alabama came within a whisker of going into OT with Florida. Clemson looks like OSU - version 2 - especially on offense. They only beat Georgia Tech 14-8 yesterday. Just unreal. Just like OSU, they're breaking in a RS FR quarterback. Have to believe, though, that all three of those teams - Alabama, Clemson, and OSU will get better and better as the season progresses. My point: it's a long, long season.
Clemson should be out of the picture with a loss, a squeaker over Ga Tech, and not a single marquee matchup to get that much needed “signature win” we always hear is so important. They’d be like a MAC champion for winning that conference. A two loss SEC or Big runner up deserves to be in before Clemson.

ESPN Power Ranking

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Iowa
4. Oregon
i

5. Penn State Nittany Lions (3-0)​

Few teams have been tested through the first three games more than the Nittany Lions, who own one-score wins over both Wisconsin (road) and Auburn (home). Quarterback Sean Clifford had only four incomplete passes on 32 attempts and repeatedly found electric wide receiver Jahan Dotson, the best player on the field against Auburn (78 receiving yards and a touchdown, 22-yard pass, 16-yard punt return). PSU's defense struggled at times with Tank Bigsby and the Auburn run game, but Temple transfer Arnold Ebiketie continued to spark the defense with five tackles and three quarterback hurries. -- Adam Rittenberg
Technically, the Auburn win is a 2-score game. Auburn would have needed 2 possessions to win that game. Okay, so Auburn needed only one possession to tie it, but technically they needed 2 scores to tie it. A touchdown and subsequent 2-point conversion were obviously needed. And to convert a 2-point conversion, a team has a 49 percent chance of making it. Adam Rittenberg makes it sound like Penn State was fortunate to win against Wisconsin and Auburn. Penn State has recruited better talent than both of these other programs over the last 5 years, they should beat these type of teams more often than not.

Adam Rittenberg makes it sound like Penn State was fortunate to win against Wisconsin and Auburn. Penn State has recruited better talent than both of these other programs over the last 5 years, they should beat these type of teams more often than not.

Rittenberg seems to be a likeable person, but he has never been spot on with any of his analysis.

Michigan goes to Wisconsin a week after their neutral site game with ND.

They also have games with Indiana and Sparty before they come to visit us.

We'll know what they have by the time that kickoff comes. We'll have Iowa and the Buckeyes under our belts as well. As of right now, we are definitely the battle tested team while they have only played directional schools and a weak Washington team.

Clemson should be out of the picture with a loss, a squeaker over Ga Tech, and not a single marquee matchup to get that much needed “signature win” we always hear is so important. They’d be like a MAC champion for winning that conference. A two loss SEC or Big runner up deserves to be in before Clemson.
Agree with all of your points but both you and I know a 1-loss Clemson will not be left out - even with their crap schedule going forward - for a 2-loss B1G or SEC team that you referred to. Is it wrong and does it suck ? Absolutely.

Agree with all of your points but both you and I know a 1-loss Clemson will not be left out - even with their crap schedule going forward - for a 2-loss B1G or SEC team that you referred to. Is it wrong and does it suck ? Absolutely.
I think Clemson did themselves in yesterday. Too many pollsters outside of ACC land are going to drop them now. I think they'll be hanging around #9 or #10 until they start producing blowouts again.

But a one loss PAC 12 or Big 12 team may beat them out the throw in Bama and Georgia and Clemson does have an uphill battle when they have no games to impress the committee.

Only OSU and especially PSU have played anybody real these last 3 weeks…..Iowa hasn’t played anyone and there stats are eh…nice INT total…Iowa State isn’t anything to brag about..I won’t dignify the other school they haven’t played anyone either.

These next 2 weeks will be good for us @home….Villanova is a little less stressful coming off Auburn and we hopefully handle Indiana without too much of a dog fight Playing down to their level.

The Iowa week and the game will be stressful due to our past fits with them and the media creating the hype but we should overcome….OSU and MSU that’s another story…we aren’t that close to those games to speculate at this point.

I think Clemson did themselves in yesterday. Too many pollsters outside of ACC land are going to drop them now. I think they'll be hanging around #9 or #10 until they start producing blowouts again.
And the sad part - that's exactly what will start happening with their pathetic schedule going forward. Their FR quarterback will only get better and better with time

Unless GaTech is slated to be a tough team, this Clemson squad is a ways from blowing out ACC teams. Trevor Lawrence isn't in the huddle anymore. Attrition has finally started wearing on the coaching staff.

Too much Dr Pepper for DJ perhaps?

Only OSU and especially PSU have played anybody real these last 3 weeks…..Iowa hasn’t played anyone and there stats are eh…nice INT total…Iowa State isn’t anything to brag about..I won’t dignify the other school they haven’t played anyone either.

These next 2 weeks will be good for us @home….Villanova is a little less stressful coming off Auburn and we hopefully handle Indiana without too much of a dog fight Playing down to their level.

The Iowa week and the game will be stressful due to our past fits with them and the media creating the hype but we should overcome….OSU and MSU that’s another story…we aren’t that close to those games to speculate at this point.
I've really been impressed with MSU so far. Looked really good yesterday. But like you said, it's still early to make any judgements or predictions

I've really been impressed with MSU so far. Looked really good yesterday. But like you said, it's still early to make any judgements or predictions
Agree to certain extent on MSU... Saw the game as well..two kids I coached were starters for the U.
We have had issues with MSU because they were more physical than us and we were out coached simple as that. But that's the past....MSU isn't as talented as us and as we have all witnessed we are becoming more physical if not already there from the prior years...and Coach Franklin has also gotten better in a few areas 😊

We all Learn.. Some of us take more time than other🤣

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT