ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Mike Gundy awarded new 5 year deal.

whart

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2004
Fort Worth TX
Mike Gundy has been given a new 5 year deal that is perpetual in nature. It renews in effect each year and keeps rolling at 5 year clips. Essentially, he is the head coach for as long as he wants….off course….assuming he performs and no major issues etc. I would assume that PSU is in back office discussions similar in nature. Do not assume that the new administration moving in eventually ….stalls that process. OKST board made sure that Coach Gundy was locked up and moved quickly on this.

Mike Gundy has been given a new 5 year deal that is perpetual in nature. It renews in effect each year and keeps rolling at 5 year clips. Essentially, he is the head coach for as long as he wants….off course….assuming he performs and no major issues etc. I would assume that PSU is in back office discussions similar in nature. Do not assume that the new administration moving in eventually ….stalls that process. OKST board made sure that Coach Gundy was locked up and moved quickly on this.

He leveraged the Tennessee job to a pay raise a few years ago. Okie State is like the Iowa of the Big 12 - overpay for mediocrity.

Reactions: BBrown
obviously….the only thing that mattered to their senior leadership was his track record over the past 15 years or so. Mediocre?? Check out the number of winning years….total bowl appearances and developing mostly 3 star or lower recruits and most would not consider the results to be mediocre.IMHO

obviously….the only thing that mattered to their senior leadership was his track record over the past 15 years or so. Mediocre?? Check out the number of winning years….total bowl appearances and developing mostly 3 star or lower recruits and most would not consider the results to be mediocre.IMHO
So, not as good as Iowa then. How many conference championships have they won and/or appeared in?

I’m sure okie state athletic supporters aren’t so thrilled with gundy given ou’s superior performance during gundy’s tenure.

Probably as happy as our fans are with Franklins record vs. Ohio State.

Fair point, but ou and okie state are in-state rivals. There also seem to be plenty of Penn State fans and alums satisfied with Franklin’s performance and ethics versus Tosu, which is perceived as football first. I don’t know that okie state athletic supporters have an expectation of much beyond success on the field.

So, not as good as Iowa then. How many conference championships have they won and/or appeared in?
I never mentioned Iowa….as for conference championship / appearances …..simple answer would be the same number of appearances as ours and championships we have one with he having no championship.Finally….you mentioned leveraging other opportunities to benefit his package. It seems to me that he read the same chapter as James Franklin “ How to build a better package by leveraging other opportunities”

Fair point, but ou and okie state are in-state rivals. There also seem to be plenty of Penn State fans and alums satisfied with Franklin’s performance and ethics versus Tosu, which is perceived as football first. I don’t know that okie state athletic supporters have an expectation of much beyond success on the field.
Like… any…. team you have your good fans and those that have a win at all cost mentality . I personally know the new OKST President DR Kayse Shrum…She is highly regarded throughout academia and medicine…it is informative that she personally helped push this new deal along. You don’t do that for someone that you do not respect …etc

15 soon to be 16 winning seasons in a row. 10-5 in bowl games. Call it what you want but don’t call it mediocre

It's a nothing program in the worst conference in football. Three top ten finishes in program history. Yawn.

oSu won the conference in 2011. I don't know why we're comparing oSu to Iowa, but since Gundy got hired oSu is 143-67 with 6 10-win seasons and 1 conference championship. 10-5 in bowls including 1-3 in BCS/NY6 bowls.

Iowa in that same time is 126-75 with 6 10-win seasons and 0 conference championships. 6-7 in bowls including 1-1 in BCS/NY6 bowls.

So, no, they have been better than Iowa, and doing that playing tougher competition than Iowa typically plays year in and year out to boot.

Like… any…. team you have your good fans and those that have a win at all cost mentality . I personally know the new OKST President DR Kayse Shrum…She is highly regarded throughout academia and medicine…it is informative that she personally helped push this new deal along. You don’t do that for someone that you do not respect …etc
She probably respects him because he's a man. He's 40.

• Haha
Reactions: bkmtnittany1
So, no, they have been better than Iowa, and doing that playing tougher competition than Iowa typically plays year in and year out to boot.

Truly depends on Iowa's crossover games. OU definitely tougher than Wisconsin in that time frame, but no worse than 3rd nearly every year if not 2nd.

Since '16, they have played us yearly and I'd say we would have been 1a/1b with OU every year, but '20 and '18.

But frig Iowa.

oSu won the conference in 2011. I don't know why we're comparing oSu to Iowa, but since Gundy got hired oSu is 143-67 with 6 10-win seasons and 1 conference championship. 10-5 in bowls including 1-3 in BCS/NY6 bowls.

Iowa in that same time is 126-75 with 6 10-win seasons and 0 conference championships. 6-7 in bowls including 1-1 in BCS/NY6 bowls.

And Iowa paid Ferentz the highest salary in the B1G for a good while. That is what I’m referring to.

If Oklahoma State played Iowa every year over a ten year (pick your timeframe) period, I'd bet on the Pokes winning more than half of those games.

He’s a man!

ADVERTISEMENT