ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Katherine Johnson, former NASA mathematician and subject of Hidden Figures film, dies at 101

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
See the link below. From the article:

"(CNN) -- Without the precision of "human computer" Katherine Johnson, NASA's storied history might've looked a lot different. Her calculations were responsible for safely rocketing men into space and securing the American lead in the space race against the Soviet Union.

For almost her entire life, her seminal work in American space travel went unnoticed. Only recently has Johnson's genius received national recognition.

Johnson, a pioneering mathematician who, along with a group of other brilliant black women, made US space travel possible, died this week. She was 101.

NASA announced Johnson's death on Monday.

Johnson was part of NASA's "Computer Pool," a group of mathematicians whose data powered NASA's first successful space missions. The group's success largely hinged on the accomplishments of its black women members.

Her work went largely unrecognized until the release of 2016's "Hidden Figures," a film portrayal of Johnson's accomplishments while the space agency was still largely segregated."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/24/us/katherine-johnson-death-scn-trnd/index.html

R.I.P.

"(CNN) -- Without the precision of "human computer" Katherine Johnson, NASA's storied history might've looked a lot different. Her calculations were responsible for safely rocketing men into space and securing the American lead in the space race against the Soviet Union.

For almost her entire life, her seminal work in American space travel went unnoticed. Only recently has Johnson's genius received national recognition.

Johnson, a pioneering mathematician who, along with a group of other brilliant black women, made US space travel possible, died this week. She was 101.

Johnson was part of NASA's "Computer Pool," a group of mathematicians whose data powered NASA's first successful space missions. The group's success largely hinged on the accomplishments of its black women members.

Her work went largely unrecognized until the release of 2016's "Hidden Figures," a film portrayal of Johnson's accomplishments while the space agency was still largely segregated."

R.I.P.
A truly hidden gem. Without the picture, they all would have died with little to no recognition. RIP fine lady

A truly hidden gem. Without the picture, they all would have died with little to no recognition. RIP fine lady

I still need to see the film. If it’s heavy on math, I’ll be lost. :( Maybe LionJim could attend with me to act as an interpreter.

I still need to see the film. If it’s heavy on math, I’ll be lost. :( Maybe LionJim could attend with me to act as an interpreter.

It's really a good film. It's on my "If I flip through the dials and it's on, then I will stop what I am doing and watch" list. All the actors did a good job, especially Taraji P. Henson and Kevin Costner.

It's really a good film. It's on my "If I flip through the dials and it's on, then I will stop what I am doing and watch" list. All the actors did a good job, especially Taraji P. Henson and Kevin Costner.

Thanks. I’ve always liked Kevin Costner (despite The Bodyguard :eek: ).

Last edited:

R.I.P.

Hiphop culture destroyed the inner city schools.

Kids today cant even calculate the sq footage of their own classroom.

The schools were better when there was less funding.

Last edited:
It's not about math, just about getting to space and all the problems, including societal problems, and calculating how to do that.

Reactions: hohmadw and LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT