ADVERTISEMENT

FC: James Franklin presser....

True. I don't think we have a WR that runs a sub 4.4, I don't believe we have one coming in with 2021 recruiting class. KC did his best with the cards he was dealt. KC put a bunch of explosive play on us when he was at Minny so his scheme has that potential. It's the same old, same old Franklin, someone has to be blames for this seasons collapse.
We have one of the top wrs in the conference.

Yep, can't be throwing it squarely to the other team's players.

Can't hold onto the ball until you are about to get sacked so that the QB is being hit as he throws and his throw ends up being a duck that get's picked off. i.e. the QB has to have good pocket awareness.

Can't just star down one receiver until the pocket collapses and panic mode sets in.

Have to get rid of the ball, throw it out of bounds over a receiver, when the pocket is collapsing instead of taking sacks when there is no escaping to a QB run. See above on pocket awareness....

In short, your QB just has to play smart and with poise, and Clifford didn't look like he was playing smart and with poise all that much the first 5 games last season. Sure, a better OL will make a QB look better and smarter. But part of being a smart QB is realizing the time your OL is realistically going to give you and then doing the best you can with the time you get.

Another frustrating part of Clifford's play last season was his less than stellar decision making with the read option. It seemed that in some games, during the first half, Clifford was pretty much programmed to just hand the ball off to the RB, not really reacting to any "read" that was available, with the RB's just getting crushed whereas it looked like Clifford could have kept the ball for a nice gain. And then at half time either the coaches told him to be more aggressive in keeping the ball and running, or he made better decisions. I'm guessing the former rather than the later. Whoever is the reason (coaches telling Clifford to hand off more in first half, or Clifford's lack of ability to read the read option), if that does not improve then that offense won't excel.

Sorry I put all this crying into my response to your post.....

Here's a link to the whole PC....

Can't just star down one receiver until the pocket collapses and panic mode sets in.

If you watched the Coach whose videos of our offense get posted regularly here you might be surprised. His break down of Yannich offense really showed there isn't a lot of "progressions" available in these offenses. Half the routes are window dressing to keep the D occupied while the QB reads the routes that should be open based on what the defense gives the O. So it not too surprising a QB stares down his primary WR the guy that should be open, Trace was guilty of this too but is is by design.

As far as the read option, defenses have gotten way better defending the read option and it is not effective as it use to be unless you got a RB with the skill of Barkley.

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
We have one of the top wrs in the conference.

He doesn't run anywhere close to 4.4 . If he did he'd be opting out for the NFL draft. Dodson has great route running but he is not the guy to take the top of the defense, that person doesn't exist on our roster. From what I've read, Yannich's offense is going to have the same struggle we had this year. He like tall fast WR for taking deep shots down the field. We have zero WRs that can do this on the roster. Wallace may be that type of guy but you need more than one.

He doesn't run anywhere close to 4.4 . If he did he'd be opting out for the NFL draft. Dodson has great route running but he is not the guy to take the top of the defense, that person doesn't exist on our roster. From what I've read, Yannich's offense is going to have the same struggle we had this year. He like tall fast WR for taking deep shots down the field. We have zero WRs that can do this on the roster. Wallace may be that type of guy but you need more than one.
I doubt Wallace is that guy or he wouldn’t be a low 3* with few offers

This may be that "guy"...

Reactions: 81b&w
I would be pretty surprised if Dotson doesn’t run close to a 4.4, based on some of the plays he has made.
Somebody here must know his 40 time.

If you watched the Coach whose videos of our offense get posted regularly here you might be surprised. His break down of Yannich offense really showed there isn't a lot of "progressions" available in these offenses. Half the routes are window dressing to keep the D occupied while the QB reads the routes that should be open based on what the defense gives the O. So it not too surprising a QB stares down his primary WR the guy that should be open, Trace was guilty of this too but is is by design.

As far as the read option, defenses have gotten way better defending the read option and it is not effective as it use to be unless you got a RB with the skill of Barkley.

See, this is where I have a slight problem with Franklin, this concept has been his orthodoxy and it sort of started with JoeMo. The idea is that you look to the sideline, we will figure out the defense, and then you'll throw where we told you to throw(or run when we tell you.) One read, determined pre-snap...if it's not there, just like Trace used to, get on your ass and get some yards. Not "throw the ball away" or "Look for other progressions," get your ass downfield, don't slide, make a play with your feet. The problem is, typically the 1st read hasn't been open, the genius play derived from looking at the defensive set up and trying to create "numbers" just doesn't happen often. Maybe the defense adjust right before the snap, maybe the defense stunts, maybe the defense disguises things as well. We always wait around for the defensive alignment, you don't think Defensive coordinators show window dressing to our Offense pre-snap? Simply put, once that first read isn't open, our QB's are incapable of locating second reads because it's never been taught or pushed in any way. The talk has always been "it'll be open because we read their defense, if it's not open, get downfield with your legs." I feel like 75% of our "explosive plays with Trace were him running around and hucking it deep. It just is not a championship offense in my mind. I hope this OC can teach these guys about secondary reads, how to move and STAY in the pocket from time to time. That he can get Franklin to understand it is okay to throw the ball away, and not take a ton of hits a game on your QB. Maybe some tempo time to time to get the defense on their heels and out of position.

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
"Explosive plays" is just the current jargon for a more wide-open offense, and a philosophy that ball movement and scoring is more important than ball control.

As a fan, I like it because, win or lose, it makes for more entertaining football. And if your defense struggles, you're not out of the game as PSU was this year vs Maryland and Iowa.

The opposite of a "explosive plays" offense is Wisconsin -- they are one of the most successful programs in the B1G for sure, and they do it without the kind of players Penn State can recruit. However, the problem with Wisky's offense is -- what happens when someone can stop the run, and what happens when you get behind 2 TDs? When Wisconsin is behind 2 TDs the game is pretty close to over.

It's really weird to see Franklin firing coaches every year. But rapid coaching turnover is just college football now. As is player free-agency. It's a totally different sport than it was just 10 years ago.

Last edited:
I would be pretty surprised if Dotson doesn’t run close to a 4.4, based on some of the plays he has made.

Who knows. Bobby Engram had enough speed to be an absolutely dominant college player but not quite enough speed to be a starting NFL wideout. Dotson has blossomed into a dominant college player and certainly has plenty of NFL potential but he doesn't have elite size or speed. He does have elite ball skills and running back skills, so in the right system ...

I suspect it wasn't so much that Franklin was unhappy with KC so much as he had an opportunity to scoop up Yurcich. KC would have done fine but Yurcich seems like he has a higher ceiling. Players will come to PSU to play in Yurcich's system and I'm not sure that was true with KC.

It could well backfire though. Franklin is now up to 5 OCs, and Clifford has had to absorb like 3 different systems now. There is a cost to that. I sure hope covid gets tamped down that PSU can play the non-conference games. They're going to need game experience in the new system.

Reactions: 81b&w and BBrown
"Explosive plays" is just the current jargon for a more wide-open offense, and a philosophy that moving the ball is more important than ball control.

As a fan, I like it because, win or lose, it makes for more entertaining football. And if your defense struggles, you're not out of the game as PSU was this year vs Maryland and Iowa.

The opposite of a "explosive plays" offense is Wisconsin -- they are one of the most successful programs in the B1G for sure, and they do it without the kind of players Penn State can recruit. However, the problem with Wisky's offense is -- what happens when someone can stop the run, and what happens when you get behind 2 TDs? When Wisconsin is behind 2 TDs the game is pretty close to over.

It's really weird to see Franklin firing coaches every year. But rapid coaching turnover is just college football now. As is player free-agency. It's a totally different sport than it was just 10 years ago.
It appears to me that the most successful programs have a balance. They can score quickly when given an opportunity but they can also control the clock with long drives when necessary. One advantage of that is it provides the defense an opportunity to catch their breath.

Coaches leaving every year because they are moving to better opportunities is one thing, firing them every year is another thing altogether. Not a good look at all.

Who's Yannich?
This guy?
artwork-5bae7dd9ab924-yanni-acropolis25-cover-sony-music-masterworks-5bae7dd9d9483-6270-1542125428.png

True, a fair number of Trace's downfield chunk plays were under thrown balls, some severely under thrown, that the WR beat the DB for the ball.
And many of those had to be thrown there to keep it out of the hands of the defenses

Great offer list for a player that doesn't run close to a 4.4.

LMFAO, you might have more credibility if you actually knew his name. Ditto the troll you were responding to. Again, lol... you're a huge PSU fan, but you don't even know the actual name of the new coach you're criticizing before he's even had a chance.

Penn State fans have been saying for years now that our wide receivers won't run well at the combine. I remember these discussions taking place when Godwin and Hamilton entered the draft, and posters were saying how their 40 times would hurt them until the moment that Godwin ran a 4.42 and Hamilton ran a 4.52. Hamler wasn't able to run at the combine, but he was electronically timed in the mid 4.3's - but we didn't really ever question his speed.

I think Dotson will run in the a mid to high 4.4s. He's not as fast as Godwin, but he's shown over and over again over the past few years that he's plenty fast enough to make defenses respect his ability to go over the top.

Penn State fans have been saying for years now that our wide receivers won't run well at the combine. I remember these discussions taking place when Godwin and Hamilton entered the draft, and posters were saying how their 40 times would hurt them until the moment that Godwin ran a 4.42 and Hamilton ran a 4.52. Hamler wasn't able to run at the combine, but he was electronically timed in the mid 4.3's - but we didn't really ever question his speed.

I think Dotson will run in the a mid to high 4.4s. He's not as fast as Godwin, but he's shown over and over again over the past few years that he's plenty fast enough to make defenses respect his ability to go over the top.
I see skill at route running, winning 50/50 balls, YAC, as well as good hands (for those more open situations). It never was obvious to me how fast Godwin or Allen Robinson were-just throw them the ball and they'd make things, the completion and yardage happen. Hamilton just consistently worked hard at his craft. Hamler was the closest we've had to a pure burner with that extra gear for some time. It took OSU to knock him out with after he was down to win the game against us.

I agree that Dotson is definitely 4.4s. I qualify him as a burner. Too many in our Fanbase are stuck in the past when we were more of a power team. Franklin has certainly brought real speed to the program thru a number of our recruits. We generally have had enough speed at the skill positions on offense over the last several years but the lines on both sides of the ball need some help to compete at the very very top. Initially the problem with the lines was a scholarship limit problem. As we get further removed from that, now it’s really on Franklin to build real lines. I think we have the right coach at oline to do it. Dline is a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT