ADVERTISEMENT

FC: James Franklin presser....

We are never going to beat OSU with this goof so hung up on the same $hit. Can we get Brian Daboll and Sean McDermott to Penn State?

• Haha
Reactions: TheGLOV and zubrus1
I don't have a problem with Franklins preoccupation with "explosive" plays. You need to be able to score 35-40 points a game to truly be an elite team in my mind. You have to be multiple, game breaking RB's, WR's that stretch the defense, QB's that can sort of do it all. Not to be good....plenty of programs can sort of just line up and mash, but they win 9-10 games a year against lesser competition. If we are going to beat OSU, we are going to have to outscore them(of course, but I mean beat them on offense more than defense). We just are not going to ever be able to devise offenses that hold teams like OSU and Bama from scoring 30-35-40 points a game. You know what else having an explosive offense does for your team outside of the scoreboard? You can start recruiting explosive players, explosive receivers......and then, maybe some elite QB's that think they can pad stats, make big plays, and win big games.

I don't have a problem with Franklins preoccupation with "explosive" plays. You need to be able to score 35-40 points a game to truly be an elite team in my mind. You have to be multiple, game breaking RB's, WR's that stretch the defense, QB's that can sort of do it all. Not to be good....plenty of programs can sort of just line up and mash, but they win 9-10 games a year against lesser competition. If we are going to beat OSU, we are going to have to outscore them(of course, but I mean beat them on offense more than defense). We just are not going to ever be able to devise offenses that hold teams like OSU and Bama from scoring 30-35-40 points a game. You know what else having an explosive offense does for your team outside of the scoreboard? You can start recruiting explosive players, explosive receivers......and then, maybe some elite QB's that think they can pad stats, make big plays, and win big games.

All well and good, but a team has to have players capable of executing explosive plays. Otherwise it's just shooting blanks.

Reactions: 83wuzme
All well and good, but a team has to have players capable of executing explosive plays. Otherwise it's just shooting blanks.

Chicken or the egg I suppose. Yurcich is going to be tasked with building an explosive offense, clearly, and then the hope is he gets more and more high quality athletes to execute it.

There's Franklin's preoccupation with "explosive plays" again. 🤷‍♂️

Perhaps he's a bit confused and meant to say "implosive" (e.g. Clifford's frequent interceptions)
Of all the things to complain about with Franklin, explosive plays should be last on the list. It's an important element in scoring points at any level of football. Even Nick Saban has come to realize that high powered offense has become key to winning college football championships.

Chicken or the egg I suppose. Yurcich is going to be tasked with building an explosive offense, clearly, and then the hope is he gets more and more high quality athletes to execute it.

Don't disagree, but it's gonna be tough recruiting those athletes without a product on the field to show. Hope isn't a plan, but you gotta start somewhere and hiring Yurcich is a good start.

There's Franklin's preoccupation with "explosive plays" again. 🤷‍♂️

Perhaps he's a bit confused and meant to say "implosive" (e.g. Clifford's frequent interceptions)
What differentiates the design of an "explosive" play from a normal one? It sounds about as obvious as saying "we can win if we score more points than our opponent

Don't disagree, but it's gonna be tough recruiting those athletes without a product on the field to show. Hope isn't a plan, but you gotta start somewhere and hiring Yurcich is a good start.

Exactly. Look, we are in a precarious spot as a football program, and much if it is truly not our fault. I am not sure if the University(administration) is fully committed to winning a national championship. Between glacial improvements in facilities, the redistribution of football revenue to cover a bloated athletic department and varsity roll, and a good honest commitment to education/graduating these guys, I just don't know if we will ever get there. Coupled with the fact that a lot of the HS talent is now down south, it's just an enormous mountain to climb. We are going to have to be aggressive where we can(Hiring Yurich after one year with KC would rise to that), creative at other spots(Really be the most active team on the transfer market) and maybe a bit ruthless in other areas(tell non-producing guys to take a hike and free up scholarships). So many people talk about what they want, and they bi*ch on this board, but nobody lays out a true plan. I keep going back to this concept:

If you want Success with Honor.....be happy, honestly thrilled, with 10-11 wins a year. Nice family community, get the players in class and graduated, don't flip out at Franklin if he drops some games, etc.

If you want to win an N.C.? Well, we have to find a way to have a Blue Chip roster and accepting any loss is not a reality. Fire Pry, get one of the top 5 D-Coordinators, pay him a Kings ransom. Build a culture where losing is totally unacceptable. In this model, clifford is in the Transfer portal.

We keep trying to sort of thread the needle and I am not sure you can. We need an explosive offenses and a disruptive defense come hell or high water. Anything less, is not winning you a NC. If you don't like that concept? Then be really really happy with 9-10 wins a year and being Iowa or Wisconsin.

Of all the things to complain about with Franklin, explosive plays should be last on the list. It's an important element in scoring points at any level of football. Even Nick Saban has come to realize that high powered offense has become key to winning college football championships.
Perhaps I'm a dinosaur, but I place higher emphasis on playing physical, fundamentally-sound, error-minimal football.

James Franklin: "It's going to back to who we were the previous two years."

Ricky Rahne: "WTF? How do you like me now?"

Perhaps I'm a dinosaur, but I place higher emphasis on playing physical, fundamentally-sound, error-minimal football.

Agree and there are times a team needs to be able to control the ball and the game clock. You can't always just count on explosive plays.

We really didn’t have enough of those kind of players at the start of 2020.
Does anybody else wonder if KC was going to be a one year fling all along ?

No, I dont think so. I bet KC would still be here if Herman wouldn't have been let go at Texas.

How do you know CJF didn't talk to Yurcich last year, possibly verbally offer him the the job before going after KC and they've simply stayed in touch... Maybe Yurcich contacted Franklin at some point during the season and told him he changed his mind.

Which of the last few champions play fundamental grind It out football? It's all about explosive offense.

Reactions: OhioLion and BBrown
Which of the last few champions play fundamental grind It out football? It's all about explosive offense.

Precisely. Whether we like it or not, it just is what it is. Even at the NFL level, it's about explosive offenses and explosives players. Aggressive offensive coaching and QB's that like to take shots all over the field.

Reactions: BBrown
So....how will this explosive spread compensate for the fact that Penn State doesn't recruit the likes of Justin Fields, Trevor Lawrence, Tua Tagovailoa, Joe Burrow, Jalen Hurts, or Jake Fromm?

Reactions: zubrus1
How do you know CJF didn't talk to Yurcich last year, possibly verbally offer him the the job before going after KC and they've simply stayed in touch... Maybe Yurcich contacted Franklin at some point during the season and told him he changed his mind.

I dont. Which is why I said "I dont think so" at the beginning of my post. Besides many believe, as do I, that MY was his first choice last year but we couldn't afford him.

Exactly. Look, we are in a precarious spot as a football program, and much if it is truly not our fault. I am not sure if the University(administration) is fully committed to winning a national championship. Between glacial improvements in facilities, the redistribution of football revenue to cover a bloated athletic department and varsity roll, and a good honest commitment to education/graduating these guys, I just don't know if we will ever get there. Coupled with the fact that a lot of the HS talent is now down south, it's just an enormous mountain to climb. We are going to have to be aggressive where we can(Hiring Yurich after one year with KC would rise to that), creative at other spots(Really be the most active team on the transfer market) and maybe a bit ruthless in other areas(tell non-producing guys to take a hike and free up scholarships). So many people talk about what they want, and they bi*ch on this board, but nobody lays out a true plan. I keep going back to this concept:

If you want Success with Honor.....be happy, honestly thrilled, with 10-11 wins a year. Nice family community, get the players in class and graduated, don't flip out at Franklin if he drops some games, etc.

If you want to win an N.C.? Well, we have to find a way to have a Blue Chip roster and accepting any loss is not a reality. Fire Pry, get one of the top 5 D-Coordinators, pay him a Kings ransom. Build a culture where losing is totally unacceptable. In this model, clifford is in the Transfer portal.

We keep trying to sort of thread the needle and I am not sure you can. We need an explosive offenses and a disruptive defense come hell or high water. Anything less, is not winning you a NC. If you don't like that concept? Then be really really happy with 9-10 wins a year and being Iowa or Wisconsin.
If you believe this fan base has a long enough memory to recall “Success with Honor,” then I suspect that collective memory recalls being “elite” (late 1960s thru late 1990s).

Last edited:
Reactions: ram2020
So....how will this explosive spread compensate for the fact that Penn State doesn't recruit the likes of Justin Fields, Trevor Lawrence, Tua Tagovailoa, Joe Burrow, Jalen Hurts, or Jake Fromm?
How do all the other schools in the top 20 scoring offenses do it without those players?

Reactions: WyomingLion

It sucks, but you have to prove or at least show real signs of having an explosive offense with the talent you have, then, the elite talent will follow. Plenty of schools play a competent spread offense that is aggressive and scores a ton of points. The Elite teams are able to marry that with very good defenses and solid run games when they need it. If Penn State can build it, maybe the 5* QB's start coming. If THEY come, then you can count on seeing a treasure trove of upper 4 and 5* receivers.

Reactions: BBrown

We had it with Trace and some very, very good WR's and exceptional RB's in Barkley and Sanders.
I don't think you have to have those transcendent QB's to pull it off. Just ones that aren't throwing it to the other team.

We are never going to beat OSU with this goof so hung up on the same $hit. Can we get Brian Daboll and Sean McDermott to Penn State?
It won't any difference even if we get Bill Belichick and a reincarnated Vince Lombardi. Just like every other team in the BIG we don't have the talent to compete with Ohio State.

Play design & tempo alone can make a HUGE difference.

I am SO tired of 30-40 yard fly patterns with our receivers one step in from the sidelines.

I am SO tired that our only misdirection play consists of one of our linemen accidentally going in the wrong direction.

I am SO tired of our O not being able to get a play off with more than 5 seconds left on the play clock.

I am SO tired that our O can’t snap the ball when an opponent’s D is racing players off the field.

I am SO tired that our O can’t snap the ball until there’s a staredown with our sideline.

I am SO tired.....I’m gonna go take a nap.

ADVERTISEMENT