ADVERTISEMENT

fc IU transfer Taysir Mack granted immediate eligibility at Pitt..

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...r-mack-granted-immediate-eligibility-at-pitt/

Pat Narduzzi
and the Pitt football program had been holding out hope for months that they would have a new offensive toy at their disposal sooner than expected. Friday, that hope morphed into reality.

In a tweet posted to its Twitter account just a short time ago, the Panthers confirmed that Taysir Mack will be immediately eligible to play in 2018 after being granted a waiver from the NCAA. It’s unclear on what grounds the wide receiver was granted a waiver.

Mack came to Pitt in December of last year as a transfer after playing two seasons at Indiana, and it was thought he’d have to sit out the 2018 season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules. Instead, he’ll be able to provide an instant boost to the Panthers’ offense.
Mack was a three-star 2016 recruit who was rated as the No. 7 player at any position in the state of New York. After redshirting as a true freshman, he caught 23 passes for 310 yards and three touchdowns in 2017. Those numbers were good for fifth, fifth and tied for third, respectively, on the team.

Including the 2018 season, Mack has three years of eleigibility he can use.

Reactions: step.eng69
why would he get a waiver? Why didn't he have to sit out a year?

I know the QB xfer to UM got it because his old school broke rules and promises. What did IU do?

Sure does seem, as Art said, the NCAA is making stuff up as they go along.

Que the Pitt hype train talking this kid into being more than he is when he could barely get on the field at Indiana

I don't think he's "special" or anything but he had a decent freshman year...23/310/3...that's not horrible. Cobbs & Timian were pretty damn good last year for Indiana IMO

This has to be a downgrade to their receiving corp. No way a WR from a BIG school will make it at Pitt and the ACC. After all the BIG as a conference is big and slow and lightyears behind the ACC. :D

why would he get a waiver? Why didn't he have to sit out a year?

I know the QB xfer to UM got it because his old school broke rules and promises. What did IU do?

Sure does seem, as Art said, the NCAA is making stuff up as they go along.

New criteria for transfers. There are four key criteria that must be met. All must be met. One is mitigating circumstances. Health, family issues, etc fall under that. I don't recall the others. The NCAA does not comment on these transfers and I assume Pitt is not required to explain the reason.

Why shouldn't a kid be able to leave and play somewhere else immediately? Another arcane rule that should go.

New criteria for transfers. There are four key criteria that must be met. All must be met. One is mitigating circumstances. Health, family issues, etc fall under that. I don't recall the others. The NCAA does not comment on these transfers and I assume Pitt is not required to explain the reason.

Here's the explanation

But NCAA associate director of public and media relations Michelle Hosick said Friday that the Division I Council adjusted transfer guidelines this year. The changes allow immediate competition if all four of the following criteria are met, she said:

•Transfer is due to documented mitigating circumstances outside student-athlete’s control and directly impacts health, safety and well-being of student-athlete;
•At time of transfer, the student-athlete would have been athletically and academically eligible and in good standing on the team had he or she remained at the previous school;
•Student-athlete meets percentage-of-degree requirements at the new school;
•The previous school’s athletics administration does not oppose transfer.

Reactions: Nittanylion930
Here's the explanation

But NCAA associate director of public and media relations Michelle Hosick said Friday that the Division I Council adjusted transfer guidelines this year. The changes allow immediate competition if all four of the following criteria are met, she said:

•Transfer is due to documented mitigating circumstances outside student-athlete’s control and directly impacts health, safety and well-being of student-athlete;
•At time of transfer, the student-athlete would have been athletically and academically eligible and in good standing on the team had he or she remained at the previous school;
•Student-athlete meets percentage-of-degree requirements at the new school;
•The previous school’s athletics administration does not oppose transfer.

That's as illuminating as fvcking mud.

I don't think he's "special" or anything but he had a decent freshman year...23/310/3...that's not horrible. Cobbs & Timian were pretty damn good last year for Indiana IMO

When you look at what games he got most of his catches it, it's not at all impressive.

except, of course, that each coach would end up having to re-recruit his existing team plus all of the kids he can poach from another team?
Well boo hoo. If he's a good coach, and can assemble a good team, then his players will want to stay.

And no, you shouldn't be allowed to contact players from other teams.

Well boo hoo. If he's a good coach, and can assemble a good team, then his players will want to stay.

And no, you shouldn't be allowed to contact players from other teams.
OK, so your idea is that any or all of the 85 kids can declare themselves eligible at any time and play for anther team the next season? That would be unmanageable and untenable.

How about schools have the freedom to offer four year and one year 'ships. If the kid takes a four year 'ship, he has to sit out a year to xfer. If the kid takes a one-year 'ship, he can play a year and xfer after that season or accept another one or multi-year 'ship from that school. That way, a school can take a risk on a four of five star kid and give him a full ride no matter his on field performance. A three star kid, getting a one-year ship at a major school like PSU/tOSU/UM/MSU, can decide if he wants to take that one-year risk, or take a four year ship at a secondary school (Indy, Illinois, Pitt, Syracuse or whatever).

When you go to the supermarket, do you try to argue with the bag boy?

Of course. It's one of the few times he has a chance of winning. He also stops at cemeteries he passes and argues with the the tombstones.

OK, so your idea is that any or all of the 85 kids can declare themselves eligible at any time and play for anther team the next season? That would be unmanageable and untenable.
YES,
"•Transfer is due to documented mitigating circumstances outside student-athlete’s control and directly impacts health, safety and well-being of student-athlete" ..:confused::confused:...or whatever that means.

2016 recruit with a PSU offer? Nah, no way....couldn’t be?
Golly gee, you're right. I guess we'll just have to take our chances with J Johnson, Thompkins, Hamler, Hippenhammer, Shorter, Dotson, and George...

Commence to hand-wringing. One-upped by dastardly Pitt yet again!!!!

The difference is Miles Sanders was stuck behind a pretty good player.. can't remember his name.. who was the Indiana kid behind?

Cobbs & Timian...not exactly awful...especially Cobbs
All I said, was that his numbers were obtained against weak opponents--just like Sanders. That doesn't mean either can't be good. Mack is probably an upgrade to the Pitt receiving core despite his numbers coming against bad teams. He still contributed and has 3 years of eligibility left. I mean, Juwan Johnson on had 2 catches 2 years ago. Doesn't mean he wasn't good.

Do we want to break down Miles Sanders numbers last year? We can do that again
Late to the party but am I the only one that views you as just trying to stir $hit up around here by bringing up Sanders seemingly out of the blue?

Late to the party but am I the only one that views you as just trying to stir $hit up around here by bringing up Sanders seemingly out of the blue?

Maybe because it is a valid comparison
Guys that didn't do much against real competition but have the ability to be important on their teams in 2018....you really don't see logic there?

Cobbs & Timian...not exactly awful...especially Cobbs
All I said, was that his numbers were obtained against weak opponents--just like Sanders. That doesn't mean either can't be good. Mack is probably an upgrade to the Pitt receiving core despite his numbers coming against bad teams. He still contributed and has 3 years of eligibility left. I mean, Juwan Johnson on had 2 catches 2 years ago. Doesn't mean he wasn't good.

Five of Penn State's top 6 receivers in 2016 are in the NFL now. The other is a starter this year.

Reactions: Thomas1945
except, of course, that each coach would end up having to re-recruit his existing team plus all of the kids he can poach from another team?

This is an overused argument. Reality is that most of the top schools are AT OR OVER THE LIMIT after signing day. And the kid has to be released from his scholarship before he can speak to other coaches (I know, back channels...). I've said this before, and I'll say it again now:

We had a first year coach, just went through a hugely publicized embarrassing scandal, we faced crazy sanctions, players were allowed to transfer without sitting a year, coaches were allowed to RECRUIT our players, and schools were allowed to go over the 85 limit to take our players. Under those circumstances, how many left? Fera left to be near his mom. Redd and Brown. Anyone else that mattered?

There will not be mass exoduses every year. For one thing, there aren't enough scholarships to go around so why give one up to shop around? Another thing, these guys are best friends with their teammates. Most don't want to lose that.

Five of Penn State's top 6 receivers in 2016 are in the NFL now. The other is a starter this year.

You realize Cobbs is in the NFL and Timoan should be next year, right?
Honestly, if we had any freshman that put up those numbers wouldn't you be happy and have high expectations for them moving forward? We had high expectations for Johnson after 2/70

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT