ADVERTISEMENT

fc If Tate Martell waiver granted, burn the system down....

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
http://footballscoop.com/news/tate-martells-wavier-gets-granted-go-ahead-burn-whole-system/

The Tate Martell saga is, well, it’s something.

After numerous high school transfers and de-commitments, Martell signed with Ohio State out of Las Vegas powerhouse Bishop Gorman High School in 2017. He redshirted in his first season on campus, then served as Dwayne Haskins’ backup this fall. Outside of an ill-conceived short-yardage package, his redshirt freshman season was a success; Martell completed 23-of-28 passes for 269 yards and a touchdown with no interceptions while rushing 22 times for 128 yards and two scores, largely in mop up duty.

With Haskins off to the NFL, the QB1 job in Columbus appeared to be his — until Justin Fields showed up. The No. 2 player in the Class of 2018 left Georgia after one season and enrolled almost immediately at Ohio State. Fields will appeal for an NCAA waiver that permits immediate eligibility if a student-athlete transfers “due to documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete’s control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete.”

The thinking is that the Fields camp will use a September incident in which a Georgia baseball player used to the N-word to refer to Fields during the fourth quarter of the Bulldogs’ 38-12 win over Tennessee. As USA Today‘s Dan Wolken theorized: who is the NCAA to tell a 19-year-old Black student that one of his fellow students publicly referring to him by a racial slur didn’t interfere with his educational experience at Georgia?

Connatix
Long story short: Fields has a good chance of playing for Ohio State in 2019. But that didn’t bother Martell, at least not initially.

“Why would I leave for somebody that hasn’t put a single second into this program yet?” Martell said ahead of Ohio State’s appearance in the Rose Bowl. “I’ve put two years of literally working my ass off into something I’ve been working for and a dream I’ve had my whole life.

“To just run away from somebody that hasn’t even put a single second into winter workouts and doesn’t know what the program is all about, there’s not a chance.”

Fast forward a couple weeks and, yeah, Martell left for somebody that hadn’t put a single second into that program yet.

Martell would also like the NCAA to grant him a waiver to play in 2019. What’s his argument, you ask?

According to an interview his attorney Travis Leach did with the Toledo Blade, it’s a coaching change.

“There were some things that happened at Ohio State that we can potentially get some relief from the NCAA, and we’re going to try it that way,” Leach told the paper. “The coaching staff turnover is an issue. There are a few things. There’s no real bright-line test that tells you 100 percent how you can get a waiver. This is a tough one, but there are some good facts on his side.”

The Blade article notes that Ohio State has a different head coach and offensive coordinator than the program did at the time Martell signed, as do thousands — literally, thousands — of Martell’s fellow student-athletes across college football. With the admitted caveat we’re not privy to everything that went on behind the scenes during Martell’s 23 months in Columbus, according to the cards his attorney has publicly laid on the table, there’s nothing at all remarkable about the Tate Martell case.

If Martell plays in 2019, what grounds would the NCAA have to prevent any transfer from being immediately eligible for any reason?

Let’s look back at the NCAA waiver, which permits immediate eligibility due to “documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete’s control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete.”

Does the retirement of Urban Meyer, the promotion of Ryan Day and the arrival of Justin Fields meet a reasonable person’s definition of directly impacting Martell’s “well-being” as a student-athlete at Ohio State?

I’m not a lawyer and I’m not employed by the NCAA to evaluate transfer waivers, so I can’t definitely answer that question. But what I can do is consult with an important witness in this case. That person is Tate Martell.

“I have no issue competing with whoever,” Martell said on National Signing Day of 2017. “To make it in the NFL, you have to compete against the best anyway. This is not where I want to stop. I want to play in the NFL, so this isn’t going to be the last time I have to compete against the best guy out there.”

I think the real reason is, he really wants to be closer to his family..

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
http://footballscoop.com/news/tate-martells-wavier-gets-granted-go-ahead-burn-whole-system/

The Tate Martell saga is, well, it’s something.

After numerous high school transfers and de-commitments, Martell signed with Ohio State out of Las Vegas powerhouse Bishop Gorman High School in 2017. He redshirted in his first season on campus, then served as Dwayne Haskins’ backup this fall. Outside of an ill-conceived short-yardage package, his redshirt freshman season was a success; Martell completed 23-of-28 passes for 269 yards and a touchdown with no interceptions while rushing 22 times for 128 yards and two scores, largely in mop up duty.

With Haskins off to the NFL, the QB1 job in Columbus appeared to be his — until Justin Fields showed up. The No. 2 player in the Class of 2018 left Georgia after one season and enrolled almost immediately at Ohio State. Fields will appeal for an NCAA waiver that permits immediate eligibility if a student-athlete transfers “due to documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete’s control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete.”

The thinking is that the Fields camp will use a September incident in which a Georgia baseball player used to the N-word to refer to Fields during the fourth quarter of the Bulldogs’ 38-12 win over Tennessee. As USA Today‘s Dan Wolken theorized: who is the NCAA to tell a 19-year-old Black student that one of his fellow students publicly referring to him by a racial slur didn’t interfere with his educational experience at Georgia?

Connatix
Long story short: Fields has a good chance of playing for Ohio State in 2019. But that didn’t bother Martell, at least not initially.

“Why would I leave for somebody that hasn’t put a single second into this program yet?” Martell said ahead of Ohio State’s appearance in the Rose Bowl. “I’ve put two years of literally working my ass off into something I’ve been working for and a dream I’ve had my whole life.

“To just run away from somebody that hasn’t even put a single second into winter workouts and doesn’t know what the program is all about, there’s not a chance.”

Fast forward a couple weeks and, yeah, Martell left for somebody that hadn’t put a single second into that program yet.

Martell would also like the NCAA to grant him a waiver to play in 2019. What’s his argument, you ask?

According to an interview his attorney Travis Leach did with the Toledo Blade, it’s a coaching change.

“There were some things that happened at Ohio State that we can potentially get some relief from the NCAA, and we’re going to try it that way,” Leach told the paper. “The coaching staff turnover is an issue. There are a few things. There’s no real bright-line test that tells you 100 percent how you can get a waiver. This is a tough one, but there are some good facts on his side.”

The Blade article notes that Ohio State has a different head coach and offensive coordinator than the program did at the time Martell signed, as do thousands — literally, thousands — of Martell’s fellow student-athletes across college football. With the admitted caveat we’re not privy to everything that went on behind the scenes during Martell’s 23 months in Columbus, according to the cards his attorney has publicly laid on the table, there’s nothing at all remarkable about the Tate Martell case.

If Martell plays in 2019, what grounds would the NCAA have to prevent any transfer from being immediately eligible for any reason?

Let’s look back at the NCAA waiver, which permits immediate eligibility due to “documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete’s control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete.”

Does the retirement of Urban Meyer, the promotion of Ryan Day and the arrival of Justin Fields meet a reasonable person’s definition of directly impacting Martell’s “well-being” as a student-athlete at Ohio State?

I’m not a lawyer and I’m not employed by the NCAA to evaluate transfer waivers, so I can’t definitely answer that question. But what I can do is consult with an important witness in this case. That person is Tate Martell.

“I have no issue competing with whoever,” Martell said on National Signing Day of 2017. “To make it in the NFL, you have to compete against the best anyway. This is not where I want to stop. I want to play in the NFL, so this isn’t going to be the last time I have to compete against the best guy out there.”

I think he really wants to be close to his family..

To be fair, his excuse is better than Fields’.

I wouldn't be worried too much about. I think someone else has pre-positioned the gasoline cans in Indianapolis and is just waiting.

Reactions: PSU Dave
To be fair, his excuse is better than Fields’.
What, did someone call him a Nagger, too?

tenor.gif

Well, wouldn't it be cute if they let Fields start for OSU and denied Martell at Miami?
He may have to start breaking out the details of how the Zach Smith ordeal affected him to get the waiver to clear.

Reactions: odshowtime
Well, wouldn't it be cute if they let Fields start for OSU and denied Martell at Miami?
He may have to start breaking out the details of how the Zach Smith ordeal affected him to get the waiver to clear.

The NCAA has already admitted a HC change is significant right? They allow for an additional official visit in the event of a new coach. So, seems like this is a pretty valid reason to transfer.

Reactions: NedFromYork
What, did someone call him a Nagger, too?

tenor.gif
ha.

I posted a police report a while back that was similar. It went something like this:

At 8:25am dispatch got a call that someone was riding on his bike yelling racial epithets. Police arrived at 8:40 and detained the suspect. Suspect was released at 8:45 upon learning that he was searching for his lost dog that was named "snickers'.​

NCAA has no idea what chitstorm they have caused. They will have to add resources and budget to handle the ever increasing issues surrounding the portal. It will definitely be fun to see how it all plays out.

NCAA has no idea what chitstorm they have caused. They will have to add resources and budget to handle the ever increasing issues surrounding the portal. It will definitely be fun to see how it all plays out.
I agree. If they wave Martell's year, it is a complete free for all. Players will simply enter the portal and take the best offer regardless of the situation. A team will . have taken a kid, gave him a year or two of development, and let him skip with no recourse whatsoever. In most cases, I am with the kid on this.

Perhaps the NCAA can create a world where a college can offer 1 ~ 5 year irrevocable ships. That way, a kid can take whatever term ship he wants. And the school can offer, or not offer, to renew after the initial term. This would be more like a pro contract where the term is negotiable.

I agree. If they wave Martell's year, it is a complete free for all. Players will simply enter the portal and take the best offer regardless of the situation. A team will . have taken a kid, gave him a year or two of development, and let him skip with no recourse whatsoever. In most cases, I am with the kid on this.

Perhaps the NCAA can create a world where a college can offer 1 ~ 5 year irrevocable ships. That way, a kid can take whatever term ship he wants. And the school can offer, or not offer, to renew after the initial term. This would be more like a pro contract where the term is negotiable.

Take away a scholarship and make it a salary and we’re in business.

maybe....but then you get unions and we simply have another pro football league. the notion of college football is some semblance of pride in the school. i guess that is all kaput now.

giphy.gif

Been kaput for a while.

Fields can be permitted to play immediately if his sister also transfers out. Can't imagine his sister isn't effected the same.

Reactions: bison13
Why is Fields the breaking point? This will be granted very quickly. No concern about Patterson? His issue was that the coaching staff lied to him about the severity of the sanctions. The one caused by paying their recruits. Of which he was the #1 QB in that class and certainly received none of this benefits (wink wink) like the rest of his classmates. Of yeah, and they also hired his brother to join that dishonest staff to make sure he enrolled at Ole Miss. The process is already broken, and the NCAA does not want any more lawsuits that could upset the money train, so they will grant away.

ha.

I posted a police report a while back that was similar. It went something like this:

At 8:25am dispatch got a call that someone was riding on his bike yelling racial epithets. Police arrived at 8:40 and detained the suspect. Suspect was released at 8:45 upon learning that he was searching for his lost dog that was named "snickers'.​
Even if he wasn't searching for his lost dog the result should have been the same.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The police are part of the government.

How many times have to read about or seen a black man or woman use the n word to describe a fellow black. Field’s excuse is laughable. I am glad that we did not pursue him. He seems like a spit disturber on the team if things don’f go his way.

How many times have to read about or seen a black man or woman use the n word to describe a fellow black. Field’s excuse is laughable. I am glad that we did not pursue him. He seems like a spit disturber on the team if things don’f go his way.

orly.gif

I wouldn't be worried too much about. I think someone else has pre-positioned the gasoline cans in Indianapolis and is just waiting.

Like Tom Petty said....."the waiting is the hardest part".

One of the more popular stadium songs right now is a song laden w/the N-word.

I'm gonna sound really white and lame here but in regards to the "N word" there's a big difference between blacks calling each other the "N word" with an "a" at the end and a white guy calling a black person the "N word" with an "er" at the end. Intent being the biggest difference.

Fields wants to transfer because he’s gonna be sitting behind Fromm. The other, though hateful, has nothing to do with it. Martell - dominoes.

I'm gonna sound really white and lame here but in regards to the "N word" there's a big difference between blacks calling each other the "N word" with an "a" at the end and a white guy calling a black person the "N word" with an "er" at the end. Intent being the biggest difference.
My great niece and her black and white friendship use this word on Facebook. It is not meant to demean.

Actually, had a black person said exactly what this guy said, it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. "Put that N in the game!"

And remember, white rappers can't even use the -a version of the word in a song.

So it has nothing to do with intent. Just the color of the skin of the person saying it.

Actually, had a black person said exactly what this guy said, it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. "Put that N in the game!"

And remember, white rappers can't even use the -a version of the word in a song.

So it has nothing to do with intent. Just the color of the skin of the person saying it.

If the word is offensive and demeaning and conjures up all kinds of bad overtones and our history, then shouldn’t it be a word not to be used, regardless of the spelling or who uses it?

Reactions: step.eng69
If the word is offensive and demeaning and conjures up all kinds of bad overtones and our history, then shouldn’t it be a word not to be used, regardless of the spelling or who uses it?

Agreed 100%. If a word allows you to pick and choose when to be offended by it, then pick a side. Either it's a fine word to use, or never use it.

I think Tates reasoning makes more sense than Patterson or Fields. Coaches retiring or leaving to take other jobs seem like a more legit reason to allow a transfer than Fields claim. I assume OSU will run a similar offense but the O system can have a huge impact on a player. Whereas Fields stayed in school for months after the incident and apparently UGA handled the offending party.

ha.

Holy God is that funny...thanks for posting.
I still can't stop laughing.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT