ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Has there been news about Tyrell Chavis' status posted?

Option Bob

May 29, 2001
My mind tells me that Board experts said that there were some concerns about Chavis graduating from his junior college. Did he? Is he fully on board now? I apologize if I just missed it somewhere.

Thanks, Tom. I have high hopes he can be a legitimate force at DT in the fall.

Not true according to others Tom
Whatever his status is today (and I have no reason to think TM's info is not correct)...... Given his history, I think it would be foolish to do anything but "hope for the best" wrt Chavis ever suiting up for PSU

Thanks, Tom. I have high hopes he can be a legitimate force at DT in the fall.

I should clarify a bit. I was on the phone when I keyed in my earlier response. Chavis graduated from junior college. He did very well his last semester, with 2 As and 2 Bs. That said, as of a few weeks ago he still needed to be cleared by PSU Admissions. I have not gotten an update on that process.

His JUCO GPA was around 2.5. Assuming that he gets through Admissions, there does seem to be legitimate concern that he's going to need to really work hard, and take advantage of all the academic support that is available, to stay eligible.

Chavis is planning to begin at PSU in the 1st summer sessions, which I believe starts on June 28th. Obviously, that is dependent upon Admissions.

I should clarify a bit. I was on the phone when I keyed in my earlier response. Chavis graduated from junior college. He did very well his last semester, with 2 As and 2 Bs. That said, as of a few weeks ago he still needed to be cleared by PSU Admissions. I have not gotten an update on that process.

His JUCO GPA was around 2.5. Assuming that he gets through Admissions, there does seem to be legitimate concern that he's going to need to really work hard, and take advantage of all the academic support that is available, to stay eligible.

Chavis is planning to begin at PSU in the 1st summer sessions, which I believe starts on June 28th. Obviously, that is dependent upon Admissions.
2 A's and 2 B's? I guess he finally buckled down at the dining room table and did his school work.

2 A's and 2 B's? I guess he finally buckled down at the dining room table and did his school work.

With a GPA of less than 2.2 prior to his final term, that would seem to be the case, So the question becomes will PSU accept sufficient credits to allow him to transfer.

It ain't gonna get any easier.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Would he qualify at OSU? Actually, I think he would be tops in the class.

With a GPA of less than 2.2 prior to his final term, that would seem to be the case, So the question becomes will PSU accept sufficient credits to allow him to transfer.

It ain't gonna get any easier.

No, but he must believe in himself and his focus to get a PSU degree, or else he would have gone to North Carolina......

His last semester grades do show an upswing in effort that if he really is driven to get a PSU degree will, together with the academic support resources, give him a great chance to succeed at PSU.

Would he qualify at OSU? Actually, I think he would be tops in the class.

He would qualify at:

LSU
Tennessee
Georgia
SC
UCLA
Mich. St.
Syracuse
WVU
Missouri
Mississippi
Mississippi St.
So. Mississippi
Louisville
Memphis St.
Ohio St.
Arkansas
USC
VT
Rutgers
Tulane
Baylor
Texas Tech.
SMU
Nebraska
Oklahoma St.
Wash. St.
Oregon St.

He would qualify at:

LSU
Tennessee
Georgia
SC
UCLA
Mich. St.
Syracuse
WVU
Missouri
Mississippi
Mississippi St.
So. Mississippi
Louisville
Memphis St.
Ohio St.
Arkansas
USC
VT
Rutgers
Tulane
Baylor
Texas Tech.
SMU
Nebraska
Oklahoma St.
Wash. St.
Oregon St.

Which, of course, explains why none of those schools were interested in him at the end.

No, but he must believe in himself and his focus to get a PSU degree, or else he would have gone to North Carolina......

His last semester grades do show an upswing in effort that if he really is driven to get a PSU degree will, together with the academic support resources, give him a great chance to succeed at PSU.

He wasn't going to UNC under any circumstances.

What were the 2 A's and 2 B's in??

Lol there's nothing else to do, other than wonder how this kid got his smart this fast!!!
You should have retired from the board after your prescient Jeffrey, Chip, Howie, Pederson declaration. Nowhere to go but way down after that gem.

You should have retired from the board after your prescient Jeffrey, Chip, Howie, Pederson declaration. Nowhere to go but way down after that gem.
It always amazes me. Here at Marshall they take a lot of 'props'. Now these are kids for the most part, bad grades, and/or bad test scores. But yet after 1 yr at Marshall they all get eligible and half end up on the dean's list!! Now how could a kid that can't get B's and C's in HS get to the dean's list in college??
It's amazing sometimes tic

It always amazes me. Here at Marshall they take a lot of 'props'. Now these are kids for the most part, bad grades, and/or bad test scores. But yet after 1 yr at Marshall they all get eligible and half end up on the dean's list!! Now how could a kid that can't get B's and C's in HS get to the dean's list in college??
It's amazing to me how easy it is to get an A. Seems to be a rule. Somebody should have told my nuns that back in the 50s.

Ain't no uniform standard - that's for sure.

Ain't no uniform standard - that's for sure.
Marshall was hit with NCAA violations around 2003. Marshall would enroll props into there community college for one year and then transfer them into the university. Marshall has one of the top HELP programs in the country for student with learning disabilities. Part of the NCAA probation was that Marshall could no longer accept props. I don't know if that is still the case.

The essence of the American Dream is an opportunity give the kid a chance. Joe gave a lot of kids a chance.

Marshall was hit with NCAA violations around 2003. Marshall would enroll props into there community college for one year and then transfer them into the university. Marshall has one of the top HELP programs in the country for student with learning disabilities. Part of the NCAA probation was that Marshall could no longer accept props. I don't know if that is still the case.
Marshall takes props the state separated the community college and the University the NCAA didn't have anything to do w it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT