ADVERTISEMENT

FC: ESPN takes on Penn State once again

GulfCoastLion

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2002
Houston, TX
For those who were wondering what the reported ESPN storyline (long storyline) would be a while back, here it is on the 10th anniversary of the Sandusky scandal from ESPN.
EDIT: for those who are already upset, or not wanting to view/dignify ESPN (I understand), clique at your own risk. It’s not flattering and quite lengthy

Last edited:
Reactions: gpk4
For those who were wondering what the reported ESPN storyline (long storyline) would be a while back, here it is on the 10th anniversary of the Sandusky scandal from ESPN.
EDIT: for those who are already upset, or not wanting to view/dignify ESPN (I understand), clique at your own risk. It’s not flattering and quite lengthy
This is a well researched article and highlights how sexual assaults were often not well prosecuted/investigated/adjudicated, especially by small town police departments, in previous decades.

I would also point out that there is relatively little documentation and interviews with individuals about events that happened decades before are going to have issues with accuracy.

However, I take objection to them trying to link this to PSU or to Paterno. This has almost nothing to do with PSU and almost nothing to do with Paterno.

Even one of the victims was clear that they didn't want to be interviewed if they were going to try to smear PSU.

" "Is this going to be some kind of exposé about Penn State?" she asked skeptically."

I strongly disagree with their assertion that Paterno was "involved in the case" other than to the extent that he needed to be aware the legal status of his players.

Joe did everything right, including instructing his players to tell the truth even if it meant testifying against their teammate. He also advised them not to talk to the media, which I think is good policy in cases like this.

And everything that happened after his conviction REALLY had nothing to do with Penn State.

Irv Pankey also comes across very well -- Success with Honor personified.

But this is yet another ESPN hit piece -- looking for clicks at the expense of the Paterno name.

This is a well researched article and highlights how sexual assaults were often not well prosecuted/investigated/adjudicated, especially by small town police departments, in previous decades.

I would also point out that there is relatively little documentation and interviews with individuals about events that happened decades before are going to have issues with accuracy.

However, I take objection to them trying to link this to PSU or to Paterno. This has almost nothing to do with PSU and almost nothing to do with Paterno.

Even one of the victims was clear that they didn't want to be interviewed if they were going to try to smear PSU.

" "Is this going to be some kind of exposé about Penn State?" she asked skeptically."

I strongly disagree with their assertion that Paterno was "involved in the case" other than to the extent that he needed to be aware the legal status of his players.

Joe did everything right, including instructing his players to tell the truth even if it meant testifying against their teammate. He also advised them not to talk to the media, which I think is good policy in cases like this.

And everything that happened after his conviction REALLY had nothing to do with Penn State.

But this is yet another ESPN hit piece -- looking for clicks at the expense of the Paterno name.
Agreed. I didn't read it in detail so could be wrong but my first two take aways were a) So the guy was not with the team and got thrown in jail? b) what did that have to do with Paterno? he recruited a guy the was bad. Every program in the nation has those (Chisley, for example, here)

I do recall hearing how players commonly got away with sexual assault, as it is defined today. Back in the 70s', a 'she was asking for it" was a common (and accepted) defense. So it is quite a different paradigm.

I saw a woman who feels she invented "date rape" in 1991 and was on the cover of Time magazine (one of the largest magazines in the nation then). This really revolutionized the definition of rape and the judiciary response. The media often takes things out of context and this appears to be one of those. She is a public speaker on the issue now and is really worth your time. Her content on liability in social media is a crazy wild eye-opener

date-rape-time-mag-cover.jpg

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Agreed. I didn't read it in detail so could be wrong but my first two take aways were a) So the guy was not with the team and got thrown in jail? b) what did that have to do with Paterno? he recruited a guy the was bad. Every program in the nation has those (Chisley, for example, here)

I do recall hearing how players commonly got away with sexual assault, as it is defined today. Back in the 70s', a 'she was asking for it" was a common (and accepted) defense. So it is quite a different paradigm.

I saw a woman who feels she invented "date rape" in 1991 and was on the cover of Time magazine (one of the largest magazines in the nation then). This really revolutionized the definition of rape and the judiciary response. The media often takes things out of context and this appears to be one of those. She is a public speaker on the issue now and is really worth your time. Her content on liability in social media is a crazy wild eye-opener

date-rape-time-mag-cover.jpg
How is an article on date rape relevent here?

How is an article on date rape relevent here?
Like Priests and their activities were redefined by the Boston Globe articles in 2001, the redefinition of "rape" changed all of this in the 1990s. The point is, guys got away with assault before the notion of date rape. the definition of "rape" has totally changed. Just watch the series on Playboy in those times.

Reactions: GulfCoastLion
Like Priests and their activities were redefined by the Boston Globe articles in 2001, the redefinition of "rape" changed all of this in the 1990s. The point is, guys got away with assault before the notion of date rape. the definition of "rape" has totally changed. Just watch the series on Playboy in those times.
I guess my point is a guy hiding in your room would be rape under any definition.

I guess my point is a guy hiding in your room would be rape under any definition.
read the article...its all in there on how she was treated, mocked, her claims lacked action by the local hospitals/police. It all goes to how society didn't prioritize nor believe the victims in those days.

read the article...its all in there on how she was treated, mocked, her claims lacked action by the local hospitals/police. It all goes to how society didn't prioritize nor believe the victims in those days.
I understand completely. The problem is it should never be taken this lightly. The truth is it still is not taken seriously even to this day. Just ask any women serving in the military.

Reactions: TFBaum
I understand completely. The problem is it should never be taken this lightly. The truth is it still is not taken seriously even to this day. Just ask any women serving in the military.
Agreed. my point is that it is a hit piece on PSU (and a guy who recently died and can't defend himself). It is an article that could have been written about any school, any sport, any frat house (probably most large businesses) from that era.

Read the article, So Joe told the rapists roommate (a PSU player as well) that he had to talk to the police. Before a few of the players were set to testify for the rapist, Joe told them to tell the truth. Supposedly one guy stayed behind to talk to Joe, and Joe told him that rapist was guilty and he better not defend him (It sounds like Joe suspected that the dude was going to lie for the rapist).

Joe was also quoted by someone in student affairs that Joe kept his hands off of stuff like Sexual Assaults and believed in the criminal justice system for that.

Jay gave a thoughtful statement that Joe didn't consider rape as a crime of violence, but as a sexual crime, which is probably true of about 90% of the population at that time.

One of the probable victims of this guy made some references to Paterno. They were shaky at best and full of speculation. If I were a betting man, the reporter gave some very vague and suggestive questions that led to "interpretations."

Finally, writer of article called out Joe for not bringing up the rape charges dung national interviews (while competing for National Championship) and barely mentioning it in any of his books (one brief reference), shocking, who in the hell would do that.

Basically, this was just a way to tie Joe into a problem that was certainly present in society at that point regarding the criminal justice system and rape.

Is there a CLIFF notes summary of what the article says to implicate/denigrate JoePa. I tried to skim it at work, but didnt quite get the total slamming. I did see that they [ESPN] at least made the assertion that Paterno was incolved in a sexual assualt/investigation in 1978. <Eye roll>

I did like the comments from Paternos Kids near the end of the article.

Three cheers to Diane Paterno for staying: "This sounds to me like another chance to blame my dad for something he had nothing to do with."

Haven't read the entire stream, don't intend to. Whatever happened at PSU was committed by a former coach and non-employee, that is not the case at Michigan and Ohio State. If only PSU had strong non Paterno hating administration, money would have been paid and no never-ending publicity. They could have let the man retire with honor.

Reactions: Obliviax
I wonder if bad things happend when the Bear coached Bama, the ND glory years , etc.

Reactions: PSUPride1
Is there a CLIFF notes summary of what the article says to implicate/denigrate JoePa. I tried to skim it at work, but didnt quite get the total slamming. I did see that they [ESPN] at least made the assertion that Paterno was incolved in a sexual assualt/investigation in 1978. <Eye roll>

I did like the comments from Paternos Kids near the end of the article.

Three cheers to Diane Paterno for staying: "This sounds to me like another chance to blame my dad for something he had nothing to do with."
Summary is that Paterno did what he should have done given the limitations of what a coach can do. But, more importantly, he can sell ads by having his name and photo tied to an event he had nothing to do with.

Click bait to tie paterno to this- wonder when espn will do the in depth Boheim (sp) scandal article - never comes to mind.

Read the article, So Joe told the rapists roommate (a PSU player as well) that he had to talk to the police. Before a few of the players were set to testify for the rapist, Joe told them to tell the truth. Supposedly one guy stayed behind to talk to Joe, and Joe told him that rapist was guilty and he better not defend him (It sounds like Joe suspected that the dude was going to lie for the rapist).

Joe was also quoted by someone in student affairs that Joe kept his hands off of stuff like Sexual Assaults and believed in the criminal justice system for that.

Jay gave a thoughtful statement that Joe didn't consider rape as a crime of violence, but as a sexual crime, which is probably true of about 90% of the population at that time.

One of the probable victims of this guy made some references to Paterno. They were shaky at best and full of speculation. If I were a betting man, the reporter gave some very vague and suggestive questions that led to "interpretations."

Finally, writer of article called out Joe for not bringing up the rape charges dung national interviews (while competing for National Championship) and barely mentioning it in any of his books (one brief reference), shocking, who in the hell would do that.

Basically, this was just a way to tie Joe into a problem that was certainly present in society at that point regarding the criminal justice system and rape.

Ah, so you're just going to pretend this wasn't in the article?

" When Paterno called, Karen had hoped that he was calling out of concern for her. Instead, Karen felt he was calling out of concern for his program. "He was kind of scaring me I think a little bit," she says.

" When Paterno called, Karen had hoped that he was calling out of concern for her. Instead, Karen felt he was calling out of concern for his program. "He was kind of scaring me I think a little bit," she says.
Right...without any evidence than that was what she felt albeit, 50 years ago. It does have this quote:

"Karen, this is Joe Paterno," the man said. "Are you OK?"

Right...without any evidence than that was what she felt albeit, 50 years ago. It does have this quote:

"Karen, this is Joe Paterno," the man said. "Are you OK?"
Lol taking this route again, huh?

Karen made a lot of statements, she didn't sound very certain about any of them. As I noted in a previous posting, everything about her statements seemed quite vague which can be the result of very vague and leading questions or a bad memory. Having read enough defense investigator reports (which are rarely recorded) that employ the same strategy, I am pretty familiar with the technique.

ESPN SEC WHORES truggling for click bate!
Yawn big stretch...yawn. Who cares....

Reactions: KCLion
Karen made a lot of statements, she didn't sound very certain about any of them. As I noted in a previous posting, everything about her statements seemed quite vague which can be the result of very vague and leading questions or a bad memory. Having read enough defense investigator reports (which are rarely recorded) that employ the same strategy, I am pretty familiar with the technique.
..and then add an ESPN writer is only too happy to take these vague quotes and run with them like Oak Island suggesting a breakthrough in next week's episode.

Go back to your racist board and worship your racist school.

• Haha
Reactions: GreggK and GlenHawk
Could you please post the author(s) of this article as I won't give them a click. I'd like to see their background.

are you talking about Les Wexler and the wrestling program at tOSU?

..and then add an ESPN writer is only too happy to take these vague quotes and run with them like Oak Island suggesting a breakthrough in next week's episode.
yep....She certainly took some license with some of her deductions as well. I understand trying to make the story sound more interesting, but the way it is written does not help one discern the facts, instead it makes it more jumbled.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Could you please post the author(s) of this article as I won't give them a click. I'd like to see their background.
See below. ESPN has been working in this for quite some time. It’s all about continuing and controlling the narrative they were instrumental in from a media standpoint 10 years ago.

Editing by Eric Neel and Laura Purtell.
Produced by ESPN Creative Studio: Michelle Bashaw, Heather Donahue, Karen Frank, Joey Maese, Kaitlin Marron, Sarah Pezzullo and Munehito Sawada.

Reactions: Agoodnap
ESPN is just pissed off that for all their lies, slander and the organized lynching by the sports press, the facts have shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that Joe did the right thing. They will continue to drag him down until the end of days.

And it was released one week before ESPN's latest TV "special" on Paterno airs. Things that make you say "hmmmm." Methinks ESPN wanted to get Paterno's name back out there to boost ratings for their upcoming show.

Paterno had allowed his players to attend Hodne's pretrial hearing and then later had prohibited them from speaking to law enforcement without his permission.
Thats not correct. Players were told to tell the truth to the police. A more accurate description would be he told the players not to talk about it with anyone other than law enforcement. Hodne tried to get his teammates and also frank brickowski to lie to corroborate his alibis and they didnt.

My main issue with the article trying pin it on Joe is that they imply that he was covering it up, but they interviewed the detective in charge Musser. Did they ask Musser if he interfered? My guess is that they didn't ask or he said no. Thats the bombshell that is no where to be found in the article.

The 60s & 70s where a different era for law enforcement. If kids got into minor trouble (fights, breaking stuff, public drunkenness etc) they'd give a small fine or just call the parents knowing that back then the parents would handle it more severely than they would. For players Joe was essentially a surrogate parent and his doghouse was legendary.

Yea, it's better to just deny and lie to yourself than face the cold hard truth that Joe Pa was SCUM.
Sit in judgement on yourself dbag. We could always discuss your football coach and program are racist scumbags. At least that's the narrative out there.

I am sure there were no other date rapes or predators at any other schools except Psu nothing but more garbage
And I'm sure coaches of players at all those other schools that did bad things wrote notes to all the victims apologizing for recruiting bad people. What a joke. The part that is glossed over is Joe telling authorities handle the players like any other person.
But he controlled the narrative. Yeah, like woody, and bo, and jimmy Johnson held press conferences announcing the bad things players did. Only Joe is held to this bs standard. Disgraceful.

ADVERTISEMENT