ADVERTISEMENT

FC: espn: "Gene Smith ready for double duty with Ohio State and the CFP"

giphy14.gif

They don't get paid for that service, do they?

On second thought, I nominate Jay Paterno for a seat on the committee.

Especially this quote from Smith himself:

"Just like on the basketball committee, the greatest thing about that committee was our integrity and our trust in one another," Smith said. "I never want to breach that trust. When that question comes at me from the quarterback club, or the luncheon, from the audience, I literally have to flip a switch. When I talk about Ohio State and what we do and everything, I'm very candid and transparent. All of my media people worry about me because I'm just going to tell you what I think. That's who I am. So I literally flip a switch and go into that focus mode."

As you read this bull$hit, keep telling yourself that this is the OHIO STATE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR making these comments! Smith just "flips his switch" depending on whether the topic is Ohio State in his Ohio State Athletic Director......or......wait for it.......Ohio State in regards to their candidacy for the "CFB Playoff" (which anyone with even one functioning brain-cell knows is not a "playoff" in any way and is a SUBJECTIVE "invitational tournament" determined by beyond biased liars like Smith here - he's got some nerve self-declaring his "integrity". Failure to recuse oneself based on a clear "COI" is the diametric opposite of "inetegrity"!). In regards to Smith's "integrity" and "flip the switch" bull$hit, you gif is spot on.....

giphy14.gif

Especially this quote from Smith himself:

As you read this bull$hit, keep telling yourself that this is the OHIO STATE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR making these comments! Smith just "flips his switch" depending on whether the topic is Ohio State in his Ohio State Athletic Director......or......wait for it.......Ohio State in regards to their candidacy for the "CFB Playoff" (which anyone with even one functioning brain-cell knows is not a "playoff" in any way and is a SUBJECTIVE "invitational tournament" determined by beyond biased liars like Smith here - he's got some nerve self-declaring his "integrity". Failure to recuse oneself based on a clear "COI" is the diametric opposite of "inetegrity"!). In regards to Smith's "integrity" and "flip the switch" bull$hit, you gif is spot on.....

giphy14.gif

And, remember, Smith got an $18,000.00 bonus in 2014 when Logan Steiber won a NCAA wrestling title. He had it in his contract about these things. If that was for wrestling, what dollar incentive does he have to help the football program?

And, remember, Smith got an $18,000.00 bonus in 2014 when Logan Steiber won a NCAA wrestling title. He had it in his contract about these things. If that was for wrestling, what dollar incentive does he have to help the football program?

Please take this opportunity to remember that Penn State has a culture problem.

Good point, here is an excerpt from the following article hotlink as to what he got paid in 2014 (HIT THE LINK: Ohio State football hands out nearly $2 million in postseason staff bonuses from Buckeyes National Championship):

• Gene Smith received $108,517 in bonuses, which is six weeks of his base pay of $940,484. Smith got four weeks of that for the Buckeyes reaching a major playoff bowl and an additional two weeks for the Buckeyes winning the National Championship.

That was two full seasons ago, so I'm sure the numbers are even higher now. But you make a very good point, beyond Smith's "emotional bias" and COI, this is a clear and undeniable massive financial COI -- honestly, it is shocking that the "BCS Conferences" running the "BCS Presidential Oversight Committee" (i.e., primarily the BCS Conference Commissioners), which appoints the "Selection Committee" should be ashamed that they have created a "Selection Committee" with such "bright line" COI including a financial COI to the tune of six figures?!?!

Reactions: Bob78
His first contract when he first was hired was $850K and the university also gave his wife a "job" at $150K per year. That was many years ago, so you can imagine what it is now.

However, that was really protection money that Smith was paid since he left the corrupt NCAA for OSU. He was instrumental in protecting OSU in the trinkets for tats scandal and the "used car" scandal that occurred at the same time. OSU was given a slap on the wrist and allowed to play in the Sugar Bowl. His illicit NCAA ties played into that.

Reactions: Bob78
I trust him more than Alvarez and Rice.

Ummmm, yea, why wouldn't anyone trust the duhO$U Athletic Director, who has a 6-figure incentive to vote for duhO$U - not trust him regarding his biases as they apply to duhO$U??? I don't get it....

proxy.php

How much "integrity" is suggested by a system where Smith has a six-figure incentive to vote duhO$U into the "playoff" which is fraudulently named and is really a completely subjective "invitational tournament" determined by highly conflicted liars like Smith?
+1000. When will people wake up and get that point?? It's and invitational!!! Barely a dozen teams are on the waiting list.
I would be so happy if PSU never ever got into that charade !

From the article:

"Smith, former Virginia Tech head coach Frank Beamer and Robert Morris University president Chris Howard will go through their own mock selection on Sept. 17 and 18 to learn the computerized voting process before the entire 13-member committee meets for the first time on Oct. 30 in Grapevine, Texas."

Tosu, vo tech (former coach), and Robert Morris.

Hey, with smith, we have a big ten advocate on the committee!

:confused:

It's going to be fairly ironic when no Big Ten team is selected for this years' playoff, with not one, but TWO Big Ten company men running the selection committee.

What really sucks about this is that smith may have to recuse himself and the big ten will not be able to vote for the playoff. Nice

ADVERTISEMENT