ADVERTISEMENT

FC Colts interview Matt Rhule. Stay tuned.....

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
847958290-e1515630704950.jpg

Getty Images
The Colts have a surprise — previously unreported — name on their list of head coaching candidates. Indianapolis interviewed Baylor head coach Matt Rhule earlier this week, Adam Rittenberg of ESPN reports.

Rhule, 42, went 1-11 in his first season at Baylor.

He is 29-34 in five seasons as a college head coach but became a hot name in the coaching ranks after turning around Temple. The Owls were 2-10 his first season before posting 10-win seasons in 2015 and ’16.

Rhule spent the 2012 season in the NFL as the Giants offensive line coach.

The Colts, seeking a replacement for Chuck Pagano, also reportedly have interviewed Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, former Seahawks defensive coordinator Kris Richard, Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub, Panthers defensive coordinator Steve Wilks and Texans defensive coordinator Mike Vrabel

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Getty Images
The Colts have a surprise — previously unreported — name on their list of head coaching candidates. Indianapolis interviewed Baylor head coach Matt Rhule earlier this week, Adam Rittenberg of ESPN reports.

He is 29-34 in five seasons as a college head coach but became a hot name in the coaching ranks after turning around Temple. The Owls were 2-10 his first season before posting 10-win seasons in 2015 and ’16.

The Colts, seeking a replacement for Chuck Pagano, also reportedly have interviewed Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, former Seahawks defensive coordinator Kris Richard, Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub, Panthers defensive coordinator Steve Wilks and Texans defensive coordinator Mike Vrabel

Interesting. Dude needs to get the hell out of Baylor IMO.

Interesting. Dude needs to get the hell out of Baylor IMO.
The Dude knows how to coach. At the end of the 2017 season, Baylor was the only team I saw in the Big12 attempting to play decent defense. If Baylor gets to or above .500 next year, Rhule can easily jump to something better.

I can't see this happening. Nothing against Rhule, I think he's a great coach and infinitely better than Al Golden, but there's better options for the Colts IMO

I would love to see Rhule get the Notre Dame job after Kelly's gone.

I like Rhule but he pretty much knew what he was getting in to. People here bitch about O'Brien leaving but he knew far less of what was going on and probably out right lied to than Rhule.

Well I think his options were limited. But that’s still a bad move IMO outside of the pay day. Baylor built its success on risky/character issue players other schools got rid of for the most part. Having to go head to head with a full strength Texas, A&M, LSU, TCU, and Oklahoma is a whole different animal, especially after scandal. He can and should do better.

He has a good gig at Baylor. From all accounts administration is on board knowing it will take a number of years to get them back . He played a bunch of freshmen to get them experience. I don't follow his recruiting closely but thought I saw he has a pretty good recruiting class coming in and has a 7 year contract. Assuming they give him time like they said they would in another 2-3 years he should have that team turned around and headed towards the top. Would take a lot money wise to pry him away I would think to the pro ranks.

I like Rhule but he pretty much knew what he was getting in to. People here bitch about O'Brien leaving but he knew far less of what was going on and probably out right lied to than Rhule.
So you’re saying Joe AND Matt knew?!!!??!?

Except O'Brien had built in 'guaranteed' years in case of sanctions (which guaranteed employment in the event the program went south). That would seem pretty obvious, wouldn't it?

Except O'Brien had built in 'guaranteed' years in case of sanctions (which guaranteed employment in the event the program went south). That would seem pretty obvious, wouldn't it?

It might have if I had known that. LOL.
Did Matt have the same? I mean I would think he would have had some type of "rider" put in there if they actually
got sanctions or anything.

maybe there should be a thread about NFL coaching hires. Meanwhile AS PREDICTED, article in CLE paper that Schiano may leave for the NFL. It may be his only path since the UTenn fiasco.

Getty Images

This guy is better than Rhule...

DinoCuse.jpg

According to one source, Rhule turned down the gig....

Update (Jan. 12): According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, Rhule has informed Baylor that he intends to stay with the school after interviewing for the Indianapolis Colts job.

Original Story: Matt Rhule signed a seven-year contract with Baylor when he was hired to lead the program out of the dark shadow cast by the sexual assault scandal that rocked the program under Art Briles, but only 13 months later, his name is popping up for NFL jobs.

Rhule, who spent a year with the New York Giants before returning to Templeto take over the program, was rumored as a candidate for the Giants vacancyin December, though nothing came of it. Now, according to a report from ESPN's Adam Rittenberg, things have gone a bit further between Rhule and an NFL team.

Update (Jan. 12): According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, Rhule has informed Baylor that he intends to stay with the school after interviewing for the Indianapolis Colts job.

Original Story: Matt Rhule signed a seven-year contract with Baylor when he was hired to lead the program out of the dark shadow cast by the sexual assault scandal that rocked the program under Art Briles, but only 13 months later, his name is popping up for NFL jobs.

Rhule, who spent a year with the New York Giants before returning to Templeto take over the program, was rumored as a candidate for the Giants vacancyin December, though nothing came of it. Now, according to a report from ESPN's Adam Rittenberg, things have gone a bit further between Rhule and an NFL team.
1. Incredible that Rhule was even a candidate for the colts job
2. Amazing that HE turned it down. Reads like he was actually offered the job.

As a colts fan, can't say I'm disappointed that Rhule is not the choice.

Maybe Rhule was offered the job but I haven't read anything to confirm that. What I've read instead are reports that Rhule has informed Baylor he intends to stay in Waco. That's different from actually being offered and turning down the HC job at Indy. Getting the interview was certainly a good way to raise his coaching profile though. When it was finished he and the GM may have agreed the fit wasn't right for either.

Maybe Rhule was offered the job but I haven't read anything to confirm that. What I've read instead are reports that Rhule has informed Baylor he intends to stay in Waco. That's different from actually being offered and turning down the HC job at Indy. Getting the interview was certainly a good way to raise his coaching profile though. When it was finished he and the GM may have agreed the fit wasn't right for either.

Should have included the title to the article....

Matt Rhule reportedly turns down Colts to remain with Baylor football

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ns-down-colts-to-remain-with-baylor-football/

Yeah, I saw that link the first time. The headline aside, nowhere in the article is there anything which proves an offer was made. I'd love to see a quote instead of the word "reportedly".

Me too. Just passing along what's out there. Maybe take it up with CBS Sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT