ADVERTISEMENT

FC: BREAKING - Spurrier to retire effective immediately...

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Weird day for CFB coaches...

EDIT: I saw this was posted earlier, but note his moniker is Head Ball Coach, not Old Ball Coach. Threw me... :p

Weird day for CFB coaches...

EDIT: I saw this was posted earlier, but note his moniker is Head Ball Coach, not Old Ball Coach. Threw me... :p
Health issue or scandal right? Otherwise, why would you quit in the middle of a season.

Really odd.

Assuming there is no health issue......why retire now? (as opposed to after the last regular season game)

Actually, mid-season can be "slow time" as far as demands on the HC....if you want it to be. Why not just stick around and handle whatever HC responsibilities you feel up to?

I mean, if you are retiring anyway.....why not (to avoid unnecessary disruption to the team) just go through the basic logistics (which aren't that time consuming) and allow your staff to take over all the "daily grind". Obviously, you let your staff know, but at least then other staff guys don't have to also pick up all the PR aspects - which if you dump on them by actually "retiring retiring" make it even tougher on them.

Gives everybody time to adjust.....and prep recruits....and everything else.

I'm probably not expressing this clearly....but it just makes no sense, unless in a very selfish way wrt Spurrier....to do it this way. I never woulda' figured Spurrier for acting totally selfishly wrt his program or staff.....so I gotta' wonder if there is a missing parameter here.

Not close enough to the situation to know for sure, but I can't imagine ANYONE would be forcing him out mid-season. Not sure what it could be.

[EDIT: Oops.....now I see why. Makes more sense now (I shoulda' remembered)......kind of a shame that a top-notch coach has to go out this way]

Last edited:
Retiring abruptly like this really throws your recruiting efforts and the current recruiting class into a tailspin. I guess the bright side is that for kids who have verbally committed to the program (and Spurrier) now have ample time to look around if they want to choose another school. After all, the head coach is one of the most important thing when choosing a school. Like Joe, everybody has been asking Spurrier about this for a long time and whether or not he'll be there for the entirety of the recruits career at the school. It really starts to effect recruiting when year after year the same question comes up about whether or not the coach is going to retire.

Retiring mid season isn't unheard of. Suhey claimed the BoT did Joe a favor by "retiring" him three weeks early.

Rumors From the Carolina message board::rolleyes:

The rumor within the Athletic Dept coach's that Spurrier was having memory loss... Forgetting play calls and names of players...

This makes more sense for Spurrier quitting in the middle of the season and Spurrier allowing assistant coaches to take over the coaching...

If you doubt me, then search your memory and think of all the strange things Spurrier was doing in the last 3 years and compare that the Spurrier coming in 11 years ago...

Remember when people said Spurrier was drunk on his TV show with Todd or he spent more time playing golf than going out recruiting...

Didn't go out recruiting... Forgetting to meet with recruits... I think that was what Chubb said...

Take a look of the symptoms below and think back hard when you questioned Spurrier...

And if it's a health problem, would Spurrier admit it???

Memory loss that disrupts daily life
Challenges in planning or solving problems
Difficulty completing familiar tasks at home, at work or at leisure
Confusion with time or place
Trouble understanding visual images and spatial relationships
New problems with words in speaking or writing
Misplacing things and losing the ability to retrace steps
Decreased or poor judgment
Withdrawal from work or social activities
Changes in mood and personality

10 world famous 3rd base hecklers, Today at 6:50 AM

Also the timing. On a day the entire Southern California Athletic Dept. and coaches are being called into question for covering and enabling health issues with their coach.

I have feared that many of the unanswerable questions regarding decision-making and how things were being done (eg. Bizarre playcalling process, failure to hide signs, recruiting) the past two years resulted from the staff and AD trying to work around issues with the HBC. He is 70 after all and getting older stinks. It's an exceptionally fast and young game and none of us are as quick as we once were. And The HBC was not going to change the way he did things. The issues, however, like a detached, ambivalent, give up attitude, seemed to be getting less manageable and more public recently.

Reminds me a bit of the final Reagan year, when everyone was trying to give the outside world the impression that things were still the same.

14 Buzzkill1, 44 minutes ago
I think you put your finger on the real problem. I have observed his behavior closely over the years, and have been commenting about it here for over two years. Some of you probably remember me saying he just seems detached, or that his mind was somewhere else. I hope it is just his age creeping up on him, like mine is. Good luck and thank you coach for all the great years!

15 cocknjax, 14 minutes ago

Rumors From the Carolina message board::rolleyes:

And if it's a health problem, would Spurrier admit it???

If the memory loss report is legitimate, then the answer to this question is almost certainly "No". We went through the early stages of my father's descent due to Alzheimer's walking on eggshells. He would not admit to any problems, which left me with the difficult task of having his driver license taken away and selling his car. Worse, as mental acuity declines, those suffering from it become confused as to why they can't do what they want to, in fact what they've always done.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone, whether I liked them or not. I was never a fan of any team Spurrier coached, but for some reason I liked the coach himself. It is indeed sad to see this happening to one of the "old guard" coaches, as someone called them.

Of course, everyone likes to pick on older people and assume their mental faculties are not what they used to be so therefore that is the reason they are stepping away.

Actually, I think it's the opposite - Spurrier acutely remembers how good he used to be and does not have it anymore, and wants to run from the dumpster fire he created in Columbia.

Reactions: step.eng69
I heard on the radio (sounds like they had a press conference), where Spurrier said he was resigning, and NOT retiring. Then he went on to suggest that he may show up as a HS coach or something.

I'll see if I can't find text of it.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/10/steve_spurrier_south_carolina_1.html

"First of all, I'm resigning," Spurrier said. "I'm not retiring. Let's get that part straight. I doubt I'll ever be a head coach again, but maybe coaching a high school team or something, so don't say I've retired complete from coaching. Who knows what will come in the future.​

Mixed feelings on his leaving mid-season.
If his health is so poor and may include Alzheimer's then I kind of have sympathy and believe that it is the right thing to do. But, the media is saying it may be because he feels he can't win above 500, well that would be quitting. Quitting!
I also vaguely remember when PSU was looking for a coach Spurrier was asked by some with a camera and all he did was laugh out loud about the PSU program so maybe I am still a little soar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT