ADVERTISEMENT

fc Brady Quinn says UM working on lifetime contract for JH...

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
Michigan: Michigan is working on a lifetime contract for Jim Harbaugh, Fox Sports college football analyst Brady Quinn said in a radio interview Tuesday.

“I talked to someone who’s kind of an insider within that program, and we had a long, drawn out conversation,” Quinn said on FOX Sports Radio, according to Mike Sullivan. “What he told me was that they’re working on a lifetime contract. I swear to you, that was his words. I kind of pressed him on it and said ‘Really?! A lifetime deal? What would that even look like?’ He couldn’t give me the particulars, but he said that’s one of the things they are talking about. That’s how confident, that’s how good they feel about Jim Harbaugh and how glad they are to have him there. So maybe that’s something Harbaugh wants.”

A lifetime deal would be the first of its kind in modern, major college football, though Michigan has already gone to considerable lengths to compensate Harbaugh. He received a raise to a $7 million salary after a 10-3 debut season in 2015, and Michigan pays the $2 million premium on a life insurance policy Harbaugh owns each Dec. 6 in the form of a retention bonus.

I hope they keep him, I think he will be able to win the east every once in a while but for the most part Michigan will finish 3 or 4 in east most years.

Michigan: Michigan is working on a lifetime contract for Jim Harbaugh, Fox Sports college football analyst Brady Quinn said in a radio interview Tuesday.

“I talked to someone who’s kind of an insider within that program, and we had a long, drawn out conversation,” Quinn said on FOX Sports Radio, according to Mike Sullivan. “What he told me was that they’re working on a lifetime contract. I swear to you, that was his words. I kind of pressed him on it and said ‘Really?! A lifetime deal? What would that even look like?’ He couldn’t give me the particulars, but he said that’s one of the things they are talking about. That’s how confident, that’s how good they feel about Jim Harbaugh and how glad they are to have him there. So maybe that’s something Harbaugh wants.”

A lifetime deal would be the first of its kind in modern, major college football, though Michigan has already gone to considerable lengths to compensate Harbaugh. He received a raise to a $7 million salary after a 10-3 debut season in 2015, and Michigan pays the $2 million premium on a life insurance policy Harbaugh owns each Dec. 6 in the form of a retention bonus.

Looking forward to the UM barometer

A lifetime contract could also be a PR stunt. Such a deal could pay Harbaugh $XX million dollars per year as long as he's the head coach but it would drop to $XX thousand per year when his coaching stint ends. That would effectively nip in the bud any rumors started by opposing coaches like the ones they try to float about Franklin. "Hey, kid. Don't go to school there because their coach will be leaving for another job next year." If anyone tried to negative recruit Harbaugh like that he could truthfully say he has a lifetime contract and is therefore committed to Michigan.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
This whole story is just another reason why ESPN needs to get blown up. While I would welcome such an absurd development, it just makes ludicrously zero sense for anybody to do this. The story is another "I heard this from a guy", with no verification of sources whatsoever. Just gossip. And very likely, made up gossip, like most of the stuff coming out of ESPN and their ilk.

Blow them up. Blow them all up. And shut 'em down.

Lifetime contract?

original

Wow, and they call it the Harvard of the Midwest.... lol

$2mm life insurance premium?

Granted he is 53, but that is a hefty premium for that age. Perhaps there is something to this terminal illness concept.

LdN

A lifetime contract could also be a PR stunt. Such a deal could pay Harbaugh $XX million dollars per year as long as he's the head coach but it would drop to $XX thousand per year when his coaching stint ends. That would effectively nip in the bud any rumors started by opposing coaches like the ones they try to float about Franklin. "Hey, kid. Don't go to school there because their coach will be leaving for another job next year." If anyone tried to negative recruit Harbaugh like that he could truthfully say he has a lifetime contract and is therefore committed to Michigan.

Contracts don't mean that an employer can't fire an employee or that the employee can't leave to take a job elsewhere. They just specify how much money flows when such events happen. I'm actually looking forward to reading the document when Michigan gets it done. Maybe it will become de rigueur for the college football industry.

lives can end at any given moment

Granted he is 53, but that is a hefty premium for that age. Perhaps there is something to this terminal illness concept.

LdN
No way can any life insurance cost $2 million a year. Just find that hard to believe. There must be some actuaries on this board who can comment on what 2 mil per year buys

Well it is college rivalry week on " The Price is Right" .A Michigan grad just won the showcase showdown with a picture of harbaugh on his T-shirt. So I guess that counts for something...

No way can any life insurance cost $2 million a year. Just find that hard to believe. There must be some actuaries on this board who can comment on what 2 mil per year buys
probably gets a payout to his family for $2m if he dies.

Any coincidence that this news surfaces just before Hairball loses for the umpteenth time in a row to Ohio St? They should just rename "the game" to "the annual loss". Lifetime mediocrity baby.

LdN

It's probably a whole-life or universal type of policy that has a whole lot of cash value associated with it. They pay that huge premium now, and then when he's 70 he can cash it in for many many many millions more.

5-6 vs Top25 teams so far. I believe that is the graphic I saw. Better lock him up before the 4 or 5 losses he racks up this season.

Wow! Please let this be true!!!! Lol

Reactions: demlion

Well I can't see anything that they'll regret doing that.
HA!

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r

Isn't that what Paterno had?

What a shit show meatchicken has become. Jimmy is a good (not great) coach who has somehow leveraged his coaching prowess into something greater than it actually is. Consider this - the next championship that a Jim Harbaugh coached team wins with be his first.

ADVERTISEMENT