ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Bowens in the portal. Update: BOOMER SOONER.

A couple thoughts.

One, Bowens was a great high school player. I've even read that he was a better safety than quarterback and at 5-foot-11, 190 pounds, I'd be interested to see if his next stop wants him on defense.

Two, many teams would really be affected by losing Bowens and Johnson. Penn State will probably be unfazed by this with Clifford, Levis, Roberson; plus Veilleux and Pribula coming soon. For as much as the QB position has left us with much to desire, I do give our staff credit for establishing that depth.

What's interesting with this is we're now down to 4 scholarship QB's and Veilleux committed on the grounds that he'd be the only QB in the 2021 class. I wonder where that stands now?

A couple thoughts.

One, Bowens was a great high school player. I've even read that he was a better safety than quarterback and at 5-foot-11, 190 pounds, I'd be interested to see if his next stop wants him on defense.

Two, many teams would really be affected by losing Bowens and Johnson. Penn State will probably be unfazed by this with Clifford, Levis, Roberson; plus Veilleux and Pribula coming soon. For as much as the QB position has left us with much to desire, I do give our staff credit for establishing that depth.
That is pretty short for QB. He should probably move to safety but guys get addicted to the QB spot. Glory, leadership, attention, big bucs. Have seen too many over the years that should have switched and ended up hurting them selves.

Where ever he goes, what ever position he plays, I wish the young man well and thanks for giving us a shot.

What's interesting with this is we're now down to 4 scholarship QB's and Veilleux committed on the grounds that he'd be the only QB in the 2021 class. I wonder where that stands now?

Didn’t he already sign? Should stand that PSU is open for QB business.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Had hoped that PSU had found another gem in the dirt. Log jam at the position and it doesn't look like he felt he could rise above everyone else. If he thinks he can play, then he needs to go somewhere and get on the field. Good luck to him.

Is this an indication that CJF and Yurcich are looking to bring a QB in via the Portal? Or possibly that a top QB will commit for 2022 along with Pribula which may be seen by Bowen as lessening his opportunity as an upper classman?

Or maybe State College is just too different from Vegas. That's a surprise....

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger Dan
The writing was on the wall when he and Johnson signed with 14 and 7 clearly ahead of them. I think 1 QB a year should be the rule of thumb going forward, especially now with the portal.

Yurcich typically likes taller, bigger-armed QBs who stand in the pocket (like Mason Rudolph); both Roberson and Bowens do not fit his style on offense. Guys like Veilleux are much more his style of QB.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
That is pretty short for QB. He should probably move to safety but guys get addicted to the QB spot. Glory, leadership, attention, big bucs. Have seen too many over the years that should have switched and ended up hurting them selves.

Where ever he goes, what ever position he plays, I wish the young man well and thanks for giving us a shot.
Girls. That’s the big one. They get the girls.

Reactions: hlstone
Yurcich typically likes taller, bigger-armed QBs who stand in the pocket (like Mason Rudolph); both Roberson and Bowens do not fit his style on offense. Guys like Veilleux are much more his style of QB.
Has he ever actually said that?

Yes Rudolph was very successful in his offense, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that Rudolph would be his ideal QB

I would be surprised if Yurcich didn’t have an inbound QB transfer on deck
That's an interesting thought.

At the end of the day, we shouldn't be surprised or upset by things like this. First of all, in the era of the portal, everyone is a free agent. Second, kids and coaches are trying to do what is in their own best self interests. Instead of Bowen most likely sitting on our bench, he'll hopefully land someplace where he has a better chance of making an impact or possibly get a better education. The coaches need a few guys to do this in order to free up room so they can fill holes and build depth. It should put the kids in the best position to succeed and it should also bring more parity to the game.

As I typed that, I couldn't help thinking that JVP would make me run the stadium steps just for thinking it. Maybe Joe would have turned him into a safety. Some change is necessary and some change comes with serious unintended consequences. I'm not sure what to expect down the road, but I know I like the idea of kids going to one school. I didn't like it when the pros started changing teams like dirty underwear and I don't like it in college. The toothpaste is out of the tube. I'm crossing my fingers.

Reactions: Sharkies
Is this an indication that CJF and Yurcich are looking to bring a QB in via the Portal? Or possibly that a top QB will commit for 2022 along with Pribula which may be seen by Bowen as lessening his opportunity as an upper classman?

Or maybe State College is just too different from Vegas. That's a surprise....
his timing sure sucks.......now that Nittany Mall will become a gambling mecca..........Vegas East.

The writing was on the wall when he and Johnson signed with 14 and 7 clearly ahead of them. I think 1 QB a year should be the rule of thumb going forward, especially now with the portal.

More like two every year with the portal.

Well, this young man is a preferred walk on, not a scholarship player. But he has great potential...6’ 3” 215. And he only started seven games his whole career as he was behind another kid last year and the team only played seven games this year due to Covid. But had great stats in that short span.

This is another example of the unseen victims of Covid. If he had played a full season plus playoffs, he would have had much more film and attention. That may have resulted in a full ride somewhere. Imagine how many kids never got a chance to show what they can do and how it affected them.

He said he liked that Yurcich saw a lot of things he can work on and improve. Was excited about putting the work to get better......a very good sign.

It's too bad that Coronavirus cheated Micah Bowens out of the Penn State experience. Best wishes to him wherever he lands.

Reactions: LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT