ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Big Ten’s best coaches - according to Cleveland.com media poll…

BIG TEN FOOTBALL’S TOP COACH

1. Ryan Day, Ohio State (16 first-place votes) 74

2. Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern (17) 72

3. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa (1) 16

4. Paul Chryst, Wisconsin 15

5. Tom Allen, Indiana 14

6. James Franklin, Penn State 11

7 (tie). P.J. Fleck, Minnesota and Greg Schiano, Rutgers 1

Others not listed did not receive any votes.

And Clifford is #88 QB. So the season is over.

So they are qualified to rate coaches? LOL
Kirk Ferentz is the best coach. For decades has done more with 3 star recruits
Fitz is 2 as he also can't expect to recruit elite talent due to academics
I'll give Day the benefit of the doubt as he took over a Mercedes and has kept it on track
Franklin is #4
Chryst is #5 and very close to Franklin
Allen is a distant #6 as he needs to replicate last year for validation
I have spoken.....that's all anyone needs to know about Big 10 Coaches. :cool:

Bro let me zzzzz on the greatness of this Iowa guy - wtf have they really done since the mid 2000s- Wisconsin has double jipped them in line twice over in the last 15 years as a #$quad.and # Association

Reactions: AWS1022
IMO Franklin should rank Very High on all elements of coaching with one exception, game
day coaching, where he's tied with Ugh Lee.
Sadly that is a huge part of the game, as a buddy of mine said the other day, "On game day, we don't hold a coaching advantage on the sideline"..

Sadly that is a huge part of the game, as a buddy of mine said the other day, "On game day, we don't hold a coaching advantage on the sideline"..
If it is such a huge part of the game how has he won so many games? He has a flaw, somewhat overblown by armchair QB’s. Recruiting is also a huge part of the game so Ferentz has a flaw, one could argue larger than Franklins. Fitz is at some disadvantage due to academics but it is probably overstated. If James had the records of these guys (except Day) some of you would have run him out of town long ago. Using last years record against Franklin while disregarding 11 win seasons is why message boards can be down right stupid, the whole body of work should be considered.

Are all your buddies that dumb or just that one? My buddy, who’s a WVU fan, thinks Franklin is one of the best coaches in the nation without a doubt. Since we’re bringing up buddies.

So they are qualified to rate coaches? LOL
Kirk Ferentz is the best coach. For decades has done more with 3 star recruits
Fitz is 2 as he also can't expect to recruit elite talent due to academics
I'll give Day the benefit of the doubt as he took over a Mercedes and has kept it on track
Franklin is #4
Chryst is #5 and very close to Franklin
Allen is a distant #6 as he needs to replicate last year for validation
I have spoken.....that's all anyone needs to know about Big 10 Coaches. :cool:
Ferentz recruits three stars because he has the personality of a postage stamp and the offensive excitement of one too. He doesn’t have a significant recruiting disadvantage….Iowa is a big name in one of the top two conferences in the nation and a strong history. They also play in the easier division. If he can’t sell that, then he’s not that good. Franklin took over a train wreck with a horrible name and recruited as well or better than just about everyone. Fitz does have the academic disadvantage, but Franklin had that at Vandy and did pretty well. Plus Fitz is also in the weak division. Day has yet to prove it’s him or the system Urban put in place.

Reactions: WyomingLion
Any random guy off the street could go undefeated at Ohio State with their talent advantage. At least Dabo and Sabin built up their program, Day just inherited it from Urban.
More importantly, he inherited the system Urban built including the recruiting system (and who knows what OSU has going on there). I’ll bet the next coach at Alabama is just as successful as Saban for a while unless things get changed by the administration (like what happened at Miami with Coker and Florida after Urban left). Those schools do something different than everyone else…the trick is figuring out what and if it was that easy to figure out, a bunch of schools would be doing it.

Any random guy off the street could go undefeated at Ohio State with their talent advantage. At least Dabo and Sabin built up their program, Day just inherited it from Urban.

You do realize that Meyer only went undefeated there one time? And that was in his first year after Luke Fickell went 7-6 or something like that.

Prior to that, Tressell had a pretty stocked cupboard. He only lost 22 games over his 10 years and he only had 1 undefeated season.

But yes. Any bum and his girlfriend could go coach the Buckeyes now and never lose a single game.

The list is laughable - outside of Day, what is Franklin's record head to head against the coaches ahead of him? I didn't look any of these up to confirm, just going off my own memory for sake of time. Let me know if incorrect.

1-1 vs. Fitzgerald
4-1 vs. Ferentz
2-0 vs. Chryst
3-1 vs. Allen

Franklin is a top-ten coach in the country, and is the only coach on that list that has beat OSU, let alone just been competitive. He's also the only coach on the list (outside of Day) with a BIG title to his name in the current conference format. Fitzgerald/Ferentz/Chryst also play in the much weaker conference division, routinely missing OSU/Michigan/PSU.

No, Saban is not the best coach in the SEC because of his 5 star players. He is because he's won like half of the recent national championships. Ryan Day and Ohio St simply aren't on the same level on the field despite recruiting at almost exactly the same level as Alabama.
As I said in another thread, Saban and Tarkisian SCHOOLED Day and his coaching staff in the National Championship game. Apparently, Day was unaware that Devonta Smith won the heisman for a reason since it never occurred to him to double team him.

As I said in another thread, Saban and Tarkisian SCHOOLED Day and his coaching staff in the National Championship game. Apparently, Day was unaware that Devonta Smith won the heisman for a reason since it never occurred to him to double team him.

For as talented as OSU was last year, Bama still had a significant talent edge. Particularly when it came to Bama WRs vs OSU DBs.

Double Smith? Absolutely should have at certain times. However, Metchie is going to burn you. Harris was nearly unstoppable and Waddle was back as well, even if limited. Too many high end play makers with a very accurate QB behind an OL they couldn't penetrate.

Buckeyes are switching to a 4-2-5 and even though the article doesn't mention Bama, it's in the back of their minds.

Not really. Did you get to watch OSU last year ? It wasn't that Day didn't know how badass the Alabama offense was - specifically the passing game. He just didn't have the DBs to counter it. If he doubles Smith, what does he do with Waddle and a couple of the other WRs. And Mac Jones wasn't exactly chopped liver. And it wasn't just Alabama, a few of the B1G teams torched OSU's secondary - remember the the OSU - Indiana game.

To make a long story short, the OSU defense was subpar in 2020 - specifically that horrible DB. To put it mildly - the 2020 OSU defensive backfield SUCKED and not just against Alabama and Indiana. It was OSU's worst DB in probably 15 to 20 years. If you read their websites, that's their biggest concern going into 2021 - fixing that crappy DB from 2020

Reactions: lazydave841
Are all your buddies that dumb or just that one? My buddy, who’s a WVU fan, thinks Franklin is one of the best coaches in the nation without a doubt. Since we’re bringing up buddies.
That is funny, because I have a big WVU buddy who thinks Franklin is one of the most over rated, crazy how that works.. I personally think JF is a good program builder,(Love the hire of Yurich) solid recruiter, gameday coach he has left a lot to be desired, you can disagree if you want.

That is funny, because I have a big WVU buddy who thinks Franklin is one of the most over rated, crazy how that works.. I personally think JF is a good program builder,(Love the hire of Yurich) solid recruiter, gameday coach he has left a lot to be desired, you can disagree if you want.
I think any coach we get many on here would feel the same way about. If we’re not undefeated every year, then the coach is obviously a bad game day coach (according to many). That is until years later and selective memory kicks in. There are Bama fans on their message board who question Saban’s game day coaching….it works that way after you know the outcome of play calling and clock management. And your WVU buddy would give his left nut to have Franklin at WVU.

Reactions: marshall23
I think any coach we get many on here would feel the same way about. If we’re not undefeated every year, then the coach is obviously a bad game day coach (according to many). That is until years later and selective memory kicks in. There are Bama fans on their message board who question Saban’s game day coaching….it works that way after you know the outcome of play calling and clock management. And your WVU buddy would give his left nut to have Franklin at WVU.
Agreed there are nut jobs everywhere and you will never be able to please everyone, as for WVU, all I know is, if we lose those games I'll never hear the end of it. I don't dislike JF, but I also wouldn't have lost any sleep had he moved on to FSU, USC etc.. Lot's of quality coaches out there and those that haven't even been given a shot yet.

Who cares what anybody from that mistake on the lake town of Cleveland thinks. They think Faker Mayfield is going to take the clowns to the Super Bowl. They won’t even win the tough AFC North Division. The Browns are still just the effin Browns.

Reactions: odshowtime
Saban never has led a Bama team to their worst start in program history. Who wants that?

WVU like Pitt has not been relevant in college football for years.

Agreed there are nut jobs everywhere and you will never be able to please everyone, as for WVU, all I know is, if we lose those games I'll never hear the end of it. I don't dislike JF, but I also wouldn't have lost any sleep had he moved on to FSU, USC etc.. Lot's of quality coaches out there and those that haven't even been given a shot yet.
I’d rather win 10 or 11 games just about every season than take a shot at a new coach. And I’m with you on losing to WVU….I lived there for over 20 years and would never hear the end of it.

Saban never has led a Bama team to their worst start in program history. Who wants that?
Since that’s your only argument, then you don’t have much to add. Worst start doesn’t equal worst season, but keep beating that drum.

ADVERTISEMENT