ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Big Ten’s best coaches - according to Cleveland.com media poll…

Midnighter2

Jan 21, 2021
BIG TEN FOOTBALL’S TOP COACH

1. Ryan Day, Ohio State (16 first-place votes) 74

2. Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern (17) 72

3. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa (1) 16

4. Paul Chryst, Wisconsin 15

5. Tom Allen, Indiana 14

6. James Franklin, Penn State 11

7 (tie). P.J. Fleck, Minnesota and Greg Schiano, Rutgers 1

Others not listed did not receive any votes.

BIG TEN FOOTBALL’S TOP COACH

1. Ryan Day, Ohio State (16 first-place votes) 74

2. Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern (17) 72

3. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa (1) 16

4. Paul Chryst, Wisconsin 15

5. Tom Allen, Indiana 14

6. James Franklin, Penn State 11

7 (tie). P.J. Fleck, Minnesota and Greg Schiano, Rutgers 1

Others not listed did not receive any votes.

Oh, I bet Bielema (Illinois) loves that...

Reactions: Midnighter2
Looks like highest salary doesn't equal best coach. Michigan is getting screwed. Iowa and Rutgers are getting a deal.
  • Jim Harbaugh, Michigan: $8,036,179.
  • James Franklin, Penn State: $6,700,000* (scheduled pay)
  • Ryan Day, Ohio State: $5,651,694.
  • Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern: $5,218,658.

1. Fact that Harbaugh is not on that list is funny
  2. have to remember the poll is probably tOSU fans, I didn't see who were the ones polled or if there was any science to it at all
  3. have to recall that PSU shit the bed last year and a lot of that was on PA/CJF and a lot was just bad luck so this is probably tainted by last year's abysmal performance
  4. I have no idea how you can put flash Ferentz above CJF
  5. People also have to remember that the early part of CJF's record was smack in the middle of the sanctions where we were very thin at many positions.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
  1. Fact that Harbaugh is not on that list is funny
  2. have to remember the poll is probably tOSU fans, I didn't see who were the ones polled or if there was any science to it at all
  3. have to recall that PSU shit the bed last year and a lot of that was on PA/CJF and a lot was just bad luck so this is probably tainted by last year's abysmal performance
  4. I have no idea how you can put flash Ferentz above CJF
  5. People also have to remember that the early part of CJF's record was smack in the middle of the sanctions where we were very thin at many positions.

It’s media members according to the article.

It’s media members according to the article.
Thanks...missed that. Then this just tucks right in under the folder in my brain labeled "The Media are Morons". After listening to the media for years, they typically just vote for whoever had a good last year and then project them to be the winners the next year.

I love Pat Fitzgerald but come on. His offenses make Woody and Bo look creative and if they were in the East, where do we think they would finish most years?

Reactions: Yanks49
Did they poll these jokers about "who were the best in the conference last year?"

The second best coach in the conference has an overall record of.... 106-81.

In 15 years, 0 conference titles. ZERO.

Tom Allen is 24-22. No titles. No bowl wins.

Yes, these guys sure are the best.

shit the bed last year and a lot of that was just bad luck...so this is probably tainted by last year's abysmal performance
Just that small tweak is tOSU fanbase blaming the Trey Sermon injury while ignoring the Journey/Noah Can situation.

Reactions: Obliviax
Ryan Day almost does what he is supposed to with the talent that he has. Ohio St has had the #2 talent to Alabama for quite a few years, Georgia was getting close to overtaking them in recruiting talent. But where are the natties? That's right only Alabama, Clemson, even LSU. No Ohio St for awhile now. Shouldn't the #2 recruiting talent at least pull one natty in the last 5 years or so?

Day appears to be a win most of the ones he's supposed to and fold when there is comparable talent coach. How that translates to top coach in the conference is a mystery. Most of the others at least make sense.

Ryan Day almost does what he is supposed to with the talent that he has. Ohio St has had the #2 talent to Alabama for quite a few years, Georgia was getting close to overtaking them in recruiting talent. But where are the natties? That's right only Alabama, Clemson, even LSU. No Ohio St for awhile now. Shouldn't the #2 recruiting talent at least pull one natty in the last 5 years or so?

Day appears to be a win most of the ones he's supposed to and fold when there is comparable talent coach. How that translates to top coach in the conference is a mystery. Most of the others at least make sense.

How many games has Day lost in the conference?

How many do you think he loses this year?

And not one of them did what Franklin did. Day was born on third and thinks he hit a triple. Fitz, Ferentz and Allen only have to win like 60% and they’re considered gods. Level the expectations and see how they stack up. I notice those three aren’t jumping to go to higher pressure jobs where winning is expected. Chryst just continued a system and is in a much easier division. Put Wiscy in the East and let’s see where he ranks. Same could be said for Fitz and Ferentz.

How many games has Day lost in the conference?

How many do you think he loses this year?
What do you think the ratio of 5 stars on Ohio St's roster is to the rest of our conference combined?

I'll give you a hint. Penn St has only Brandon Smith as a composite 5 star on the roster. Ohio St has SIX 5 stars coming in just in their freshman class.

Stop being lazy.

And not one of them did what Franklin did. Day was born on third and thinks he hit a triple. Fitz, Ferentz and Allen only have to win like 60% and they’re considered gods. Level the expectations and see how they stack up. I notice those three aren’t jumping to go to higher pressure jobs where winning is expected. Chryst just continued a system and is in a much easier division. Put Wiscy in the East and let’s see where he ranks. Same could be said for Fitz and Ferentz.
Which of them led their programs to its worst start ever in history? Quite an accomplishment.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
So someone who inherits millions is as good a businessman as someone who builds a business and makes millions?

He's winning the games. He's recruiting as good, perhaps better, than his predecessor. He might have started with 10 million, but he's doubled it in no time. Everybody expected some level of fall off. Nobody thought he could maintain the level Meyer had them at.

What do you think the ratio of 5 stars on Ohio St's roster is to the rest of our conference combined?

I'll give you a hint. Penn St has only Brandon Smith as a composite 5 star on the roster. Ohio St has SIX 5 stars coming in just in their freshman class.

Stop being lazy.

I guess Saban isn't the best coach in the SEC because of his 5* players?

Part of the coaching game is recruiting.

Reactions: Global Fan
He's winning the games. He's recruiting as good, perhaps better, than his predecessor. He might have started with 10 million, but he's doubled it in no time. Everybody expected some level of fall off. Nobody thought he could maintain the level Meyer had them at.

No, Saban is not the best coach in the SEC because of his 5 star players. He is because he's won like half of the recent national championships. Ryan Day and Ohio St simply aren't on the same level on the field despite recruiting at almost exactly the same level as Alabama.

Reactions: Yanks49
Which of them led their programs to its worst start ever in history? Quite an accomplishment.
Oh good lord….and the four years before that? One bad half of a season doesn’t wipe out all of a coach’s other accomplishments….except in small minds. Ferentz had four losing seasons including a 1-10 year….Fitz had five losing seasons including 3-9 just two years ago. Tom Allen had two losing seasons in four years. But don’t let facts get in the way of your argument.

And how much of that was put in place by Meyer to keep the train rolling….Franklin took over a program where the train had left the tracks. Would Day be having the same success if he took over a program that was on sanctions and who’s name was trash? Who would be a better manager, someone who took over the Dodgers and won the series or someone who took over the Pirates and got them to the playoffs?

Reactions: marshall23
No, Saban is not the best coach in the SEC because of his 5 star players. He is because he's won like half of the recent national championships. Ryan Day and Ohio St simply aren't on the same level on the field despite recruiting at almost exactly the same level as Alabama.

Day has won every conference game he's coached and every conference title he's been involved with.

If you want to prose that any number of coaches could have done the same, go ahead. Still doesn't change what has happened thus far and unless he Coker's it, it looks like everyone else is playing catch up.

And Saban took over Bama when they were struggling and built this current program. Day moved into a mansion, put up curtains and gets treated like he built the house.

Reactions: m48tank

Well, not exactly true. Bama, in a regular four year recruiting cycle, recruits about 20 more players than OSU. So, they have more room for error when it comes to guys not living up to the hype.

Day has won every conference game he's coached and every conference title he's been involved with.

If you want to prose that any number of coaches could have done the same, go ahead. Still doesn't change what has happened thus far and unless he Coker's it, it looks like everyone else is playing catch up.
Many coaches likely could have done better by winning a NC. That can’t be proven, but I think when judging a coach you have to look at where they started, not just where they’re at.

Well, not exactly true. Bama, in a regular four year recruiting cycle, recruits about 20 more players than OSU. So, they have more room for error when it comes to guys not living up to the hype.
But who got the program to that level?

And how much of that was put in place by Meyer to keep the train rolling….Franklin took over a program where the train had left the tracks. Would Day be having the same success if he took over a program that was on sanctions and who’s name was trash? Who would be a better manager, someone who took over the Dodgers and won the series or someone who took over the Pirates and got them to the playoffs?

I never said Day set it up.

Franklin is awesome. I'm glad we have him.

History will probably remember the manager that won a Series better than the guy who made the playoffs. Unless you have an actual example to bring up instead of a hypothetical.

But who got the program to that level?

Not disagreeing about Saban - but, they recruit more elite players than anyone; so their average star ranking is spread out over more players. When someone doesn’t cut it, much easier to replace. Deep bench as it were.

I never said Day set it up.

Franklin is awesome. I'm glad we have him.

History will probably remember the manager that won a Series better than the guy who made the playoffs. Unless you have an actual example to bring up instead of a hypothetical.
Actual example….James Franklin took over a program under sanctions and with the worst reputation in the history of college football and won a Big championship in year 3….Ryan Day took over a program with more talent than every other program except one and didn’t win a NC….how’s that for an actual example?

And I didn’t say history would remember one better than the other, I asked which did a better job?

Looks like highest salary doesn't equal best coach. Michigan is getting screwed. Iowa and Rutgers are getting a deal.
  • Jim Harbaugh, Michigan: $8,036,179.
  • James Franklin, Penn State: $6,700,000* (scheduled pay)
  • Ryan Day, Ohio State: $5,651,694.
  • Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern: $5,218,658.
Its a newspaper poll. LOL
It's possible that those that voted know even less about football than people who read it and believe it here. (although not likely).

Oh good lord….and the four years before that? One bad half of a season doesn’t wipe out all of a coach’s other accomplishments….except in small minds. Ferentz had four losing seasons including a 1-10 year….Fitz had five losing seasons including 3-9 just two years ago. Tom Allen had two losing seasons in four years. But don’t let facts get in the way of your argument.
But, but, but, I read it in the newspaper poll. LOL

Its a newspaper poll. LOL
It's possible that those that voted know even less about football than people who read it and believe it here. (although not likely).
Midnighter said the pool was B1G sports writers

Midnighter said the pool was B1G sports writers
So they are qualified to rate coaches? LOL
Kirk Ferentz is the best coach. For decades has done more with 3 star recruits
Fitz is 2 as he also can't expect to recruit elite talent due to academics
I'll give Day the benefit of the doubt as he took over a Mercedes and has kept it on track
Franklin is #4
Chryst is #5 and very close to Franklin
Allen is a distant #6 as he needs to replicate last year for validation
I have spoken.....that's all anyone needs to know about Big 10 Coaches. :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT