ADVERTISEMENT

FC: 2 wingsuit flyers die in Yosemite Saturday

fairgambit

Aug 20, 2010
I'm sure we've all seen videos of wingsuit flights and thought, for at least a moment, what it would be like to do it ourselves. Sadly, 2 men died during their flights on Saturday at Yosemite National Park. They died doing what many consider foolish, but they died doing what they loved. May they rest in peace. http://www.aol.com/article/2015/05/...aing-grid7|main5|dl6|sec1_lnk3&pLid=125525264

dp_wingsuit.jpg

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about Dean. His Arches climb in Utah, circa '05, was idiotic & the kind of thing that gives people in that world -- most of them actually very sensible, respectful -- a bad reputation. My brother-in-law, himself a outstanding mountineer, and Dean nearly came to blows over it once.

Still, it's a damned shame &, yeah, I guess tempered a little by the thought that he died doing what he loved. R.I.P.

Reactions: fairgambit
So true...Dean Potter was the god father of it all and died doing what he loved and was his passion. Not many of us can say that about the way we go out...

Dean has joined the likes of Alex Lowe, Doug Coombs, Shane McConkey and other extreme mountain sports enthusiasts as a legend who paid the ultimate price for his joy in life. Godspeed Dean.

I think it was 60 Minutes that had a piece about him (at least, I think it was about him) maybe a year ago.....an incredible rock climber.

I get sick and dizzy when I have to climb the ladder to change a light bulb.....which helps explain my very low electric bills.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT