ADVERTISEMENT

FC: “Kirk Herbstreit says he 'still can't taste or smell' five months after testing positive for COVID-19”

I knew I had it when lost smell and taste. Luckily that came back in about 3 weeks. Unluckily mine stayed and became Covid-Pneumonia. I just didn't move for 10 days and it wasn't by choice. I still get out of breath way quicker but am ok in general.

I'm sorry for your wife. That must be tough. I've wondered, is this complete loss of taste and smell or just certain tastes and smells? Does she say she quite literally can't smell anything and can't taste anything? My daughter, some 8 months post-Covid still has issues with certain tastes but her senses of taste and smell, for the most part, are back.

So, it seems like if something is sour, she can taste that it is sour, or if something is spicy, she can taste that, or sweet. But lets say it is lemon or lime juice, she couldn't tell the difference. And anything that doesn't have one of those tastes, apparently has no taste. Every once in awhile, she says she can smell something but it doesn't really stay.

I lost mine for about three days and I hate it. It slowly came back for me thankfully.

Reactions: Madsol
A friend of mine had it last fall and her smell and taste are still off.
She gets phantom smells often she says too

My wife gets phantom smells that include cigarette smoke. Says she swears it's like someone is sitting directly across from her smoking.

There are a lot of other reports of smell coming back in a weird way. Like things that used to smell good to you now smell like rotten meat.

Very strange longer term effects.

Reactions: tgar and step.eng69
So, it seems like if something is sour, she can taste that it is sour, or if something is spicy, she can taste that, or sweet. But lets say it is lemon or lime juice, she couldn't tell the difference. And anything that doesn't have one of those tastes, apparently has no taste. Every once in awhile, she says she can smell something but it doesn't really stay.

I lost mine for about three days and I hate it. It slowly came back for me thankfully.
That is crazy! I've seen and heard about losing your sense of taste and smell but I never knew to what extent that was happening. I wish the best for your wife.

I had what felt like burn hazel in my lungs for a week and a slight on and off fever. I never got tested, but im assuming it was covid. Also felt inflammation in my throat for 3 weeks, but otherwise no long term symptoms. I credit baking soda, a teaspoon a day during the illness from preventing any long term symptoms.

I had Covid early December and have not regained my sense of smell and taste. A friend of mine had Covid at the same time and was fine. He got the vaccine in March and lost most of his sense of smell and taste.

Reactions: step.eng69
I had Covid early December and have not regained my sense of smell and taste. A friend of mine had Covid at the same time and was fine. He got the vaccine in March and lost most of his sense of smell and taste.
To clarify, your friend got Covid in December and was fine until after getting the vaccine in March? 🤷‍♂️

Between accounts like yours and other reported negative reactions to the various hastily-prepared and under-tested vaccines....I think I'll take a rain check until I know the longer term consequences.

Reactions: searay26
I am glad he is seeking out COVID advice from all of those COVID experts on Twitter. That appears to be a great move and I see he is getting all of the medical advice possible. The collective twitter COVID treatment knowledge far exceeds that of the vast resources of medical advice a TV celebrity could possibly expect.
A tad too harsh if you ask me. Isn’t it rather obvious that he, as a well known public figure, is merely polling his many followers to see if anyone has had a similar experience. Just reading the responses in this thread has yielded commentary on the subject, and more people follow him than post in this board.

A tad too harsh if you ask me. Isn’t it rather obvious that he, as a well known public figure, is merely polling his many followers to see if anyone has had a similar experience. Just reading the responses in this thread has yielded commentary on the subject, and more people follow him than post in this board.
Ok, do you are suggesting, a year and a half into this thing, his best source of information is Twitter? C’mon man.

I have seen hundreds of people who have had COVID and a significant proportion of them report lingering losses or disturbances of smell, and to a lesser extent, taste. If I had to guess, I would say it’s around 25%.
There are smell training exercises that people sometimes report as being beneficial, but they take months.
It seems like this is a bigger post COVID deficit for those in their 30’s and 40’s than any other group.

Hmmm... What do you mean by "disturbances of smell?"

These comments about Herbstreit’s health are classless.

4dyi65.gif

Sorry I didn’t respond earlier. The phantom cigarette smoke odor is a common one I hear. People often say they know when something smells bad, but they cannot define what the bad smell might be.

Hmmm... Did I post somewhere about my phantom cigarette smoke smell?

I asked you that because up until I read your post, I assumed the constant cigarette smell I was smelling was caused by something else. Then after reading your post, I put 2+2 and... Shit, I think I have long covid! Lol

I asked you that because up until I read your post, I assumed the constant cigarette smell I was smelling was caused by something else. Then after reading your post, I put 2+2 and... Shit, I think I have long covid! Lol

Did you see the reports that another symptom of long covid is diminished intelligence?

Do you have any other symptoms ?

I'm glad I came across your comment. Before COVID had a name, I was as sick as a dog at the end of October, 2019. I has all the C19 symptoms; killer cough, fever, sore throat, loss of taste and smell. I roughed it out, with natural honey being the only thing to stop the coughing. To this day I smell phantom cigarette smoke. I'm convinced I had COVID.

Do you have any other symptoms ?

Back in Feb 2020, I had a "cold" that seemed pretty typical, other than after the cold went away, a cough continued for about 6 weeks or so. My wife had the same "cold" at the time, and hers came with viral pink eye.

Then mid-late summer, I started smelling cigarette smoke as my "default" smell. I could always smell scents that were present, but if there was no other scent, I would smell cigarette smoke.

At the time - and until I read your post - I assumed it was from working in our wood shop. I assumed sawdust was messing with my smell.

But I also noticed that even when I would be away from the shop for a few days, it would have no effect on the cigarette smoke smell.

And then get this... So, about a month ago, the cigarette smell finally went away.

Last Friday I was at a packed indoor music venue (4000 capacity). No chance I wasn't exposed to Covid that night.

It's now a week later, and seemingly no Covid (symptoms), BUT, I smell the cigarette smoke again.

At this point, I think it might be pretty safe to assume that I received my delta "booster" last Friday night. Lol

Thoughts?

I'm glad I came across your comment. Before COVID had a name, I was as sick as a dog at the end of October, 2019. I has all the C19 symptoms; killer cough, fever, sore throat, loss of taste and smell. I roughed it out, with natural honey being the only thing to stop the coughing. To this day I smell phantom cigarette smoke. I'm convinced I had COVID.

I was in that "I'm pretty sure I had it" group, but the cigarette smell thing now has me as convinced as I could possibly be (99.9999%) sans literal proof.

I smell phantom cigarette smoke now and then. Been happening since I quit smoking 25ish years ago.

I also sometimes smell phantom dog crap. I can smell it but can’t find it.

I’m sure in my case, both are just in my head. Not sure about those who have had Covid. Would be interesting to find out what causes that.

I know someone who tested positive for covid with the only symptom being loss of smell in dec or jan. The sense of smell still has not returned with the exception of a phantom sulfur smell a few times per day (no fart jokes!) and that is only very recent to even get that back. And this is after going to an ENT doc and attempting to use oral steroids and retraining with essential oils. And strangely the sense of taste never diminished.

See the link below. From the article:

“ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit said Tuesday that he hasn't been able to taste or smell since he tested positive for COVID-19 back in late December.

Herbstreit tweeted on Tuesday: "Been 5 months since I tested positive for Covid. Still can’t taste or smell. Anyone else experience this?? Did it ever come back?? Haven’t tasted a meal since late December. After 5 months...is this my new normal or will taste and smell come back???"

Herbstreit notably covered last season's College Football Playoff semifinal between Clemson and Ohio State during his diagnosis.

According to the Yale School of Medicine, as many as a third of people diagnosed with COVID-19 reported losing their sense of smell.”

😕
He may never get his sense of smell or taste buds back.

The unknown long term effects are the scariest part of this damn thing and why I was one of the first to get the vaccine. My grandson and a few nieces / nephews had it and I worry about them everyday. My grandson became very ill and was in the hospital for a week and still has a hard time breathing at times - he refused to initially get the shot. To compare it to other diseases / illnesses is just not practical as we're just into this thing about a year and a half.

I just hope the hospitals don't start filling up again in some sections of the country like last winter preventing some - or even delaying - medical treatment because hospitals are full of people that could have prevented it with the vaccine. Is the vaccine perfect ? Of course not but it's the best option right now to get this thing under control.

BTW, one of the first things my grandson did after being released from the hospital ? You guessed it - got the Pfizer vaccine.

Reactions: step.eng69
Strange thing happened to me yesterday. I had it back in December and lost taste and smell for a while. Yesterday I was walking through my house and caught a cigarette smell. I was the only one home and no windows were open. First time since I had COVID that it happened to me, but it is real.

ADVERTISEMENT