ADVERTISEMENT

FC: “Florida State to review renaming Doak Campbell Stadium“

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
See the link below. From the article:

“Florida State president John Thrasher said Monday he has asked athletic director David Coburn to review whether the school should remove Doak Campbell's name from the football stadium.

Last week, former Seminoles linebacker Kendrick Scott started a petition asking for the name to come down over Campbell's pro-segregation views while serving as university president.

"I have been following with great interest the petitions circulating on social media asserting that Doak S. Campbell, FSU's president in 1947 during its transition from the Florida State College for Women, resisted integration and asking that the stadium no longer bear his name. I have asked Athletics Director David Coburn to immediately review this issue and make recommendations to me. I look forward to receiving his report soon," Thrasher said in a statement.“

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...a-state-review-renaming-doak-campbell-stadium

It will be interesting to see where this goes since fsu is no longer in the fortunate position of having eric barren’s leadership. Regardless, a name change seems inevitable.

Thrasher. Great name. Maybe they’ll name the stadium after him. On the other hand, The Eric Barren Grand Cathedral of Football (and such) has a good ring to it.

It will be interesting to see where this goes since fsu is no longer in the fortunate position of having eric barren’s leadership. Regardless, a name change seems inevitable.

Thrasher. Great name. Maybe they’ll name the stadium after him. On the other hand, The Eric Barren Grand Cathedral of Football (and such) has a good ring to it.
LOL ...

See the link below. From the article:

“Florida State president John Thrasher said Monday he has asked athletic director David Coburn to review whether the school should remove Doak Campbell's name from the football stadium.

Last week, former Seminoles linebacker Kendrick Scott started a petition asking for the name to come down over Campbell's pro-segregation views while serving as university president.

"I have been following with great interest the petitions circulating on social media asserting that Doak S. Campbell, FSU's president in 1947 during its transition from the Florida State College for Women, resisted integration and asking that the stadium no longer bear his name. I have asked Athletics Director David Coburn to immediately review this issue and make recommendations to me. I look forward to receiving his report soon," Thrasher said in a statement.“

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...a-state-review-renaming-doak-campbell-stadium

Things ae getting super stupid.

...I understand William Pitt and William Penns’ backgrounds are currently under investigation... :)

But his legacy remains, I think.

Burt's legacy is 19 carries, 146 yards, and TDs. Nice production for one game, but it took him three years.

In fairness, Reynolds was injured for much of his FSU career. Notwithstanding, based on his football career he would have been forgotten had he not become a popular actor.

I'm more inclined to name the field for Peter Warrick. Can't think of anyone who is more emblematic of FSU football.

Reactions: Bertway0
Burt's legacy is 19 carries, 146 yards, and TDs. Nice production for one game, but it took him three years.

In fairness, Reynolds was injured for much of his FSU career. Notwithstanding, based on his football career he would have been forgotten had he not become a popular actor.

I'm more inclined to name the field for Peter Warrick. Can't think of anyone who is more emblematic of FSU football.
Warrick Dunn....and everything he has done post football isn't a bad option.

Reactions: Rollin Stone
Warrick Dunn....and everything he has done post football isn't a bad option.

Now you're getting serious.:)

I'd just leave it as Bobby Bowden Stadium. When dedicating something to a player, it's largely based on on-field performance. What does a school do when said performance is eclipsed? And what to do if the player surpassing the numbers happens to be white?

In truth, I had no idea who Doak Cambpell was prior to this brouhaha. Betcha I had a lot of FSU alumni as company.

So.... no icalks to rename the stadium as “The Reservation”?

Thought you guys would have picked up on that obvious anti PC choice.

It would be fine because, apparently, Seminole Indians are not offended by fsu’s exploitation of them.

:eek:

At least we do not need to worry about re-naming this stadium...already done.
clip_image038_0023.jpg

Reactions: odshowtime
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT