ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite two ingredient cocktail?

4 ounces of 100-proof vodka.

The juice of 1.5 lemons.

If you're a wimp, add 1/2 teaspoon of confectionary sugar.

If not, forgo the sugar.

Either way, use lots of ice.

An hour later, your corona concerns will have in large part melted away.

But a warning: if you then finish things off with a glass of red wine and compose a post here (or anywhere), you may regret it when you read the content the next morning.

Nice attention to detail. I find that often it’s the quality of the mixer which is more important than the quality of the booze. A good tonic makes for a good G & T

I wanted a G&T last night and got to choose between tonic that expired in 2018 or 2019. Tried the 2018 vintage first, no carbonation. 2019 was the same way. Eh, after the first few sips it was no big deal.

I need to get some fresh tonic obviously, and the lime tree out back needs to get to work and make me some limes damnit. The chicken in the backyard isn't laying any eggs I'm not having any more unproductive life forms in my yard.

Reactions: BBrown
In my youth when I was tending bar one night I had a patron tell me he wanted to teach me how to make a better dry martini than the first one I had made him.

His first instruction was to open the vermouth and place the bottle at the far end of the bar. Then come back to my station and pour 2 ounces or more of gin over some ice and stir it until it was very cold, strain it into a glass and add the olive. Then go get the vermouth and put the cap back on the bottle.

Then he said if I ask for an extra dry martini do not take the cap off the vermouth.
So why doesn’t he just order a glass of gin?

Question for those posters on Vodka selection, are those choices quality to serve to friends who drink vodka on ice with twist of lemon? I know they do the Grey Goose, fancy types. Appreciate information as not it is not a spirit I know much about.

Nice attention to detail. I find that often it’s the quality of the mixer which is more important than the quality of the booze. A good tonic makes for a good G & T
Thanks, and bingo. Fever tree is the standard among broadly available commercial tonics.

Reactions: Nitwit
I'm not a particular fan of the thing, but my wife says I make a helluva Moscow Mule:

Add crushed ice to your copper mug. Add juice of 3/4 lime. Add one large jigger of preferred vodka. Add one bottle Fever Tree ginger beer. Garnish with remaining 1/4 lime slice

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I'm not a particular fan of the thing, but my wife says I make a helluva Moscow Mule:

Add crushed ice to your copper mug. Add juice of 3/4 lime. Add one large jigger of preferred vodka. Add one bottle Fever Tree ginger beer. Garnish with remaining 1/4 lime slice
One shot of vodka to a 12 oz. bottle of ginger beer? You gotsa up da booze in dat thing or she's gonna be social distancing from you all night.

One shot of vodka to a 12 oz. bottle of ginger beer? You gotsa up da booze in dat thing or she's gonna be social distancing from you all night.
1. I use the big end of the jigger.
2. The single use bottle is 6.8 fl. oz. You don't actually think I'd use a resealable multi-dose for something like this do you?

Cretin. It's the principle of the thing man.
Oh I get it....I tended bar through college and early in my career as a second job. I argued with many martini drinkers who wanted it extra dry (in other words, no vermouth).

Question for those posters on Vodka selection, are those choices quality to serve to friends who drink vodka on ice with twist of lemon? I know they do the Grey Goose, fancy types. Appreciate information as not it is not a spirit I know much about.
It would not hurt to try it. Luksusowa and Sobieski are potato vodkas so they may be
slightly sweeter than other vodkas.

So why doesn’t he just order a glass of gin?

A glass of gin would just be iced gin, not a martini. A martini needs a whiff of vermouth.

Anyways ... my current martinis have 3 ingredients not 2, Gin, Vodka and Lillet. I know they're not 100% like James Bond's martinis, but close.

Reactions: BBrown
Oh I get it....I tended bar through college and early in my career as a second job. I argued with many martini drinkers who wanted it extra dry (in other words, no vermouth).
But of course. But that doesn’t mean you don’t make a show of showing them the bottle. Otherwise, you are just pouring them gin.

A glass of gin would just be iced gin, not a martini. A martini needs a whiff of vermouth.

Anyways ... my current martinis have 3 ingredients not 2, Gin, Vodka and Lillet. I know they're not 100% like James Bond's martinis, but close.
Many martini drinkers don’t want any vermouth.

Scotch and ice
If ice constitutes an "ingredient," the list of drinks is gonna be pretty damn short. Hell, that would make a G&T a four ingredient drink: gin, tonic water, ice, and lime wedge. (I pronounce anathema on anyone who serves a G&T without lime!)

Reactions: Aardvark86
4 ounces of 100-proof vodka.

The juice of 1.5 lemons.

If you're a wimp, add 1/2 teaspoon of confectionary sugar.

If not, forgo the sugar.

Either way, use lots of ice.

An hour later, your corona concerns will have in large part melted away.

But a warning: if you then finish things off with a glass of red wine and compose a post here (or anywhere), you may regret it when you read the content the next morning.
It’s salient information like this that makes me confident the internet will be around for a while. I mean-you can’t find this stuff in a book.

Reactions: Jerry

It would not hurt to try it. Luksusowa and Sobieski are potato vodkas so they may be
slightly sweeter than other vodkas.
Having lived in the former CCCP/Russia, I know a little bit about vodka. I think Grey Goose is top notch but, overpriced. I have Grey Goose in my house but would never use it for anything other than Cosmopolitans or Martinis. Luksosowa is AWESOME for Bloody Mary’s and other mixed vodka drinks.
I have some free loading relatives who invade my house and drink a lot of Bloody Mary’s and Screwdrivers over the holidays from a Grey Goose bottle that has been filled with Luksosowa. ;)

A few English friends told me to only drink single malt scotch and to always drink it neat (no ice, no water). As a point of trivia, Italy is largest per capita consumer of Scotch.
Favorite is a dry, gin Martini. Like the described above. (No vermouth)

I have limited drink making supplies at the moment so let’s hear your favorite 2 ingredient cocktail.

Whiskey & ginger?
7 & 7?
Rum & coke?
Vodka & cranberry?

Lately I’ve been partial to mixing fruit punch with some (ok a lot of) Captain Morgan’s. Curious if there are any delicious and simple combos I’ve never tried.
Mount Gay rum( Barbados) and ginger ale. Just tried it with new Canada Dry Bold ginger ale. I liked it!

If ice constitutes an "ingredient," the list of drinks is gonna be pretty damn short. Hell, that would make a G&T a four ingredient drink: gin, tonic water, ice, and lime wedge. (I pronounce anathema on anyone who serves a G&T without lime!)
Anathema. Good Holy Week word bear. You doing ok?

Since were sharing recipes, my favorite is a modified old fashioned.

Rittenhouse Rye whiskey

Just a touch of simple syrup (about a 1/2 teaspoon)

Orange peel

I like it better without the bitters and use about half of the typical amount of simple syrup. Really darn good.

I have limited drink making supplies at the moment so let’s hear your favorite 2 ingredient cocktail.

Whiskey & ginger?
7 & 7?
Rum & coke?
Vodka & cranberry?

Lately I’ve been partial to mixing fruit punch with some (ok a lot of) Captain Morgan’s. Curious if there are any delicious and simple combos I’ve never tried.
Gin, ice

Does a splash count as a third ingredient? A manhattan with just rye and vermouth is still pretty tasty -- just go easier on the vermouth -- more of a 3.5:1 ratio. A rusty nail is good. I Like a good smoky scotch with a splash of nut-derived liqueur such as amaretto or Frangelico. I've even experimented with anejo tequilas and mezcals with aged rums, such as El Dorado 12, in a 2:1 ratio.

I'm partial to Ketel One myself. If it's a mixed cocktail with something stronger than a tonic or club soda then I'll get something cheaper like Tito's.

1. I use the big end of the jigger.
2. The single use bottle is 6.8 fl. oz. You don't actually think I'd use a resealable multi-dose for something like this do you?

In my house, sadly, we go 1 oz vodka to 2 oz ginger beer in order to make sure it has some kick...I might make a quick call to AA tomorrow.

On a side note, it's a nice changeup to use tequila instead of vodka (aka Mexican Mule).

Anathema. Good Holy Week word bear. You doing ok?
Yes, sir. Going a little stir crazy, but glad I am healthy. This Board helps to no small extent. Having three adult sons back home is great, but also a lot of work. The house has grown too small for all of us now that they are adults.

ADVERTISEMENT