ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite two ingredient cocktail?

37136140-arnold_palmer_half-half_200.530x298.jpg

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I have limited drink making supplies at the moment so let’s hear your favorite 2 ingredient cocktail.

Whiskey & ginger?
7 & 7?
Rum & coke?
Vodka & cranberry?

Lately I’ve been partial to mixing fruit punch with some (ok a lot of) Captain Morgan’s. Curious if there are any delicious and simple combos I’ve never tried.
Vodka and coke.

I have limited drink making supplies at the moment so let’s hear your favorite 2 ingredient cocktail.

Whiskey & ginger?
7 & 7?
Rum & coke?
Vodka & cranberry?

Lately I’ve been partial to mixing fruit punch with some (ok a lot of) Captain Morgan’s. Curious if there are any delicious and simple combos I’ve never tried.

The Paloma is my go to.
Tequila and grapefuit Soda (Squirt if you have it) It does need a squeeze of lime but its not essential.
I prefer Grapefuit Juice and a splash of clubsoda but if I don't have club soda I'm ok with just Grapefuit juice.

In my youth when I was tending bar one night I had a patron tell me he wanted to teach me how to make a better dry martini than the first one I had made him.

His first instruction was to open the vermouth and place the bottle at the far end of the bar. Then come back to my station and pour 2 ounces or more of gin over some ice and stir it until it was very cold, strain it into a glass and add the olive. Then go get the vermouth and put the cap back on the bottle.

Then he said if I ask for an extra dry martini do not take the cap off the vermouth.

LOL. I'm not a fan of Vermouth either. I think i may put a drop or 2 in sometimes non at all.

Lots of options. Vodka can be mixed with almost anything in a pinch. I'd suggest doing yourself a favor and getting some more ingredients though.

Gin & tonic
Rum & coke - my fav is Cuban 7 year Havana Club but can't get it in the USA
Crown & ginger ale
Vodka & club soda (works well with plain, Deep Eddy graprefruit or Deep Eddy lemon)
Vodka & tonic
Moscow Mule - Vodka & ginger beer (best with some lime juice so 3 ingredients)
Gin Martini - Gin & Vermouth
Vodka Martini - Vodka & Vermouth
Gin Gimlet - Gin & lime juice

If you get a chance try a Mexican Mule with Tequila. I like the ginger beer from Aldi. Its much cheaper and not as sweet with a bit more bite.

Reactions: Spydersgirl
Thanks to a thread a week or so ago on this board, I scored a few bottles of Legent bourbon. It is sublime. I prefer it over Pappy. An ice cube is my second ingredient.

And I love me a dry martini. I'm using Japanese Raku gin with a drop of sake as my Asian martini, garnished with a slice of cucmber. My regular martini is Hendrick's gin with a drop of vermouth, garnished with olives.

Thanks to a thread a week or so ago on this board, I scored a few bottles of Legent bourbon. It is sublime. I prefer it over Pappy. An ice cube is my second ingredient.

And I love me a dry martini. I'm using Japanese Raku gin with a drop of sake as my Asian martini, garnished with a slice of cucmber. My regular martini is Hendrick's gin with a drop of vermouth, garnished with olives.
I tried to find Legent locally (South Jersey) but to no avail.

Try the Hendrick's Gin martini with a drop or two of St Germain and then garnish with a cucumber slice or preferrably, some small diced cucumber in the drink. It's my go to breakfast.

Assuming garnishes do not count, I'd go with the "Jose's Way" Gin and Tonic:

In stemless cabernet glass, place one jumbo size ice cube, one slice lime, lemon zest or lemon verbina leaves, and several gently bruised juniper berries. Add one jigger Hendricks. Add one bottle Fever Tree tonic water.

Or, subject to the same caveat, the only permissible libation for the first Saturday in May:

1. On Friday, take 12 fresh mint leaves and place them in a mason jar; gently bruise with them with a wooden spoon.
2. Add 3 oz simple syrup, which can be made by combining equal parts water and sugar over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
3. Add 8 oz bourbon.
4. Refrigerate the mixture overnight.
5. At approximately 5pm on Saturday, fill you silver (pewter, if you must) Jefferson Cup with crushed ice, which facilitates a more rapid cooling of the beverage.
6. Garnish with several fresh mint leaves.

The recipe multiples well if more than one is to be served.

Last edited:

Whiskey & ginger?
7 & 7?
Rum & coke?
Vodka & cranberry?

Jim Beam Black and diet dew
Goose rocks blue cheese stuffed olives

If you get a chance try a Mexican Mule with Tequila. I like the ginger beer from Aldi. Its much cheaper and not as sweet with a bit more bite.
I've tried several ginger beers but keep going back to Cock & Bull as my favorite.

Reactions: BBrown
Beer and tomato juice is my favorite.

Also, vodka and diet Mountain Dew.

Beer and tomato juice or a good Bloody Mary mix is super underrated. Tastes great
And doesn’t hit as hard as vodka. My Army buddy from Cali called them bloody beers, but you can find on a lot of menus as a michelada variant...

Slightly OT, has anyone ever tried this hopped whiskey by Wigle? I like the hoppiness of an IPA and I like whiskey, but does this combo work?
Wigle-Whiskey-Hopped-Whiskey.jpg

LOL. I'm not a fan of Vermouth either. I think i may put a drop or 2 in sometimes non at all.

Gotta say, when I was in Madrid, they have bars that just serve Vermouth and I grew to love it.
It is more of a drinking vermouth rather than a mixing one, and it was great.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Assuming garnishes do not count, I'd go with the "Jose's Way" Gin and Tonic:

In stemless cabernet glass, place one jumbo size ice cube, one slice lime, lemon zest or lemon verbina leaves, and several gently bruised juniper berries. Add one jigger Hendricks. Add one bottle Fever Tree tonic water.

Or, subject to the same caveat, the only permissible libation for the first Saturday in May:

1. On Friday, take 12 fresh mint leaves and place them in a mason jar; gently bruise with them with a wooden spoon.
2. Add 3 oz simple syrup, which can be made by combining equal parts water and sugar over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
3. Add 8 oz bourbon.
4. Refrigerate the mixture overnight.
5. At approximately 5pm on Saturday, fill you silver (pewter, if you must) Jefferson Cup with crushed ice, which facilitates a more rapid cooling of the beverage.
6. Garnish with several fresh mint leaves.

The recipe multiples well if more than one is to be served.
Nice attention to detail. I find that often it’s the quality of the mixer which is more important than the quality of the booze. A good tonic makes for a good G & T

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy

Whiskey & ginger?
7 & 7?
Rum & coke?
Vodka & cranberry?

I used to drink Captain Morgan and pineapple juice in my early 20s when I worked at a liquor store. I loved that one but don’t think I’ve had it in 25 or so years.

In my youth when I was tending bar one night I had a patron tell me he wanted to teach me how to make a better dry martini than the first one I had made him.

His first instruction was to open the vermouth and place the bottle at the far end of the bar. Then come back to my station and pour 2 ounces or more of gin over some ice and stir it until it was very cold, strain it into a glass and add the olive. Then go get the vermouth and put the cap back on the bottle.

Then he said if I ask for an extra dry martini do not take the cap off the vermouth.

Many years ago my dad frequently tended my uncle's bar. He had a perfume atomizer filled with dry vermouth. For a dry martini he'd pour gin or vodka into a shaker filled with ice, shake it until cold, then spray a mist of vermouth into the air and run the glass through the mist before straining the alcohol into the glass.

Whiskey & ginger?
7 & 7?
Rum & coke?
Vodka & cranberry?

Boodles Gin, lemon-lime seltzer and extra limes, along with a good view of the sunset...….

Reactions: Nitwit
ADVERTISEMENT