ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite non Penn Staters

PSUer1989

Feb 6, 2017
I was listening to Basch talk about liking Lovett and it got me think about who I would root for to win at each weight (other than the PSU rep, obviously) if there were no team implications. I am purely a fan, no wrestling background other than being a fan. These are the guys I find myself rooting for when they aren’t wrestling PSU, not who I think would necessarily win.

edit: I wrote it for the Big Tens, but NCAAs are fine as well.

125 Heinselman
133 Joe Oliveri
141 Parker Filius
149 Ridge Lovett
157 Ryan Deakin
165 Dean Hamiti
174 Micheal Kemerer
184 John Pozanski
197 Cam Caffey
HWT Gable Steveson

Anyone else care to share?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowep and mcpat
I don't have picks at every weight, but here are some guys that I want to see do really well

125 Brandon Kaylor (Let's Go Brandon!)
149 Yanni (He's probably going to win anyway)
157 David Carr
165 Anthony Valencia
HWT AJ Nevills

Ayala, Caffey, SeaBass, Vito, (Josh) Edmond, Hamiti and Traub.

I like O'Toole, Carr, both Hidlays, Ayala, Rivera, McGee, Vito, Yianni, Hamiti, Gable, Parris, Desanto (on the mat at least).

Reactions: mcpat
If our guys can't win:
125 - Glory
133 - Byrd
141 - Woods
149 - Wilson or Andonian
157 - Carr
165 - Wick or O'Toole
174 - Hidlay
184 - Keckeisen
197 - Bastida
285 - Steveson

Yanni & David Carr.

I have somewhat adopted Wick this year because of the close call, he wanted in so I'll treat him as a cousin.

Gable and ADS don't make my list because of the antics, but I sure won't change the channel when they are wrestling.
ADS is the only PA kid I want to fail...
#1 Gable S. rewatch his antics after his 2 losses. That made me a fan, plus he is a pretty good wrestler.
#2 PA kids except ADS

Reactions: PASLP2
This is the first time I have ever said this, but I really find myself pulling for Michigan State. That program is headed in the right direction, and I enjoy watching those kids compete. Even when they are not winning they are working hard and trying to score. I would love to see their hard work pay off this post season.

I love watching Josh Edmond, Andonian, O’Toole, Vito, Andrew Alirez, Sasso, and Keckesien.

Reactions: mcpat
Back a few years ago, I loved to watch Dylan Ness wrestle because he threw the kitchen sink at you. So even when you thought you had him dead to rights, he could still put you on your back

Reactions: mcpat and 7brwnpsu
125- Glory Prin
133- Lucas Byrd ILL
141- Parker ISU
149- Bryce Andonian VTech
157- Carr ISU
165- DJ Hamiti Wisky
174- Runyan UNI
184- Coleman ISU
197- Bastida ISU
285-Hendrickson USAFA

Mickey Phillippi
Michael Kemerer
David Carr
Evan Wick
Nino Bonaccorsi
Sammy Sasso
Verk

I’m a fan of USNA wrestling so I’ll put PA kids Andrew Cerniglia and Jake Koser on here. I like the way they wrestle and if they are committed to US Navy afterwards - all the more reason to root for them.

Last edited:
Alex Marinelli. His matches, win or lose, are often epic.
I was a bit put off by Marinelli’s out of bounds antics against Berge this year

A few years ago, J’Den Cox was DQd for an out of bounds slam. He wrote a letter of apology to the guy he slammed. Cox is a much better wrestler than Marinelli and it appears that he also has a much better sense of sportsmanship.

Reactions: NitInVA and Fatmarc
I liked Drew Hildebrandt while at Central Michigan and Max Dean while at Cornell. I swear they were my favorites!
giphy.gif

Here's mine
125 Brody Teske
133 Daton Fix (enjoyed watching freestyle)
141 Jaydin Eierman (seems like buddy with Nick)
149 Jarrod Verkleeren
157 David Carr
165 Evan Wick
174 Hayden Hidlay
184 Trent Hidlay
197 none
285 AJ Nevills

Who even knows why...

125 - DeAugustino
133 - McGee
141 - Matthews
149 - Wilson
157 - Carr
165 - O'Toole
174 - Labriola
184 - Keckeisen
197 - Caffey
285 - Hendrickson

125 Drake Ayala
133 Austin Desanto
141 Jaydin Eierman
149 Max Murin
157 Kaleb Young
165 Alex Marinelli
174 Michael Kemerer
184 Abe Assad
197 Jacob Warner
285 Tony Cassioppi
How do you know you enjoy watching them? Most of those guys haven’t wrestled much this year.

ADVERTISEMENT