ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite moments in television...

When I was a kid, my dad worked his tail off and really never watched TV. That changed when All in the Family came on. One episode was when Archie drove Sammie Davis Jr in his cab and SDJ forgot a satchel. SDJ came over to Archie's house to get it. A set up was when Archie, a bigot, was in awe of SDJ so meathead was making fun of him. At one point, Archie asked SDJ if he wanted one eye or two (sugar) in his coffee. At the end, they wanted a photo of Archie and SDJ; just as the camera snapped SDJ kissed Archie on the cheek. My dad almost fell out of his chair laughing. I'll never forget him laughing like that at a TV show.

Runners up: last show of The Fugitive. Last show of MASH. First network showing of "War of the World". Lots of news events, like 911, but I'll skip that.

Great question....

When I was a kid, my dad worked his tail off and really never watched TV. That changed when All in the Family came on. One episode was when Archie drove Sammie Davis Jr in his cab and SDJ forgot a satchel. SDJ came over to Archie's house to get it. A set up was when Archie, a bigot, was in awe of SDJ so meathead was making fun of him. At one point, Archie asked SDJ if he wanted one eye or two (sugar) in his coffee. At the end, they wanted a photo of Archie and SDJ; just as the camera snapped SDJ kissed Archie on the cheek. My dad almost fell out of his chair laughing. I'll never forget him laughing like that at a TV show.

Runners up: last show of The Fugitive. Last show of MASH. First network showing of "War of the World". Lots of news events, like 911, but I'll skip that.

Great question....

My dad loved this show as well.

Great. I read an interview with Paul McCartney. He was visiting Lennon and watching SNL. At one point, someone offered the Beatles $5m for one concert, an incredible amount at the time. SNL offered the Beatles $5 to play. Paul and John got up to drive to SNL and just walk on to play a song for the $5. However, once they looked at the logistics, realized they couldn't make it on time. now that would have been an incredible TV moment: Paul and John playing for the closing credits.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Great. I read an interview with Paul McCartney. He was visiting Lennon and watching SNL. At one point, someone offered the Beatles $5m for one concert, an incredible amount at the time. SNL offered the Beatles $5 to play. Paul and John got up to drive to SNL and just walk on to play a song for the $5. However, once they looked at the logistics, realized they couldn't make it on time. now that would have been an incredible TV moment: Paul and John playing for the closing credits.

I think you mean this one- more than $5.

...had this conversation last night with some guys at my local watering hole....most of our rememberances were from the late 60s/70s/80s, and a few guys had some thoughts from the 90s....

There are two moments that I think made television history during the brief period I watched TV...

This one IMO made Friends a must watch show...

really? Was there anyone better than Mike Nelson? AKA Sea Hunt? I loved that show...in fact if you look at my signature pic, I took that about 80' , off 3 Sisters in Grand Cayman.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Do sports on TV count?
giphy.gif

Maybe the best scene from the best show in recent memory (IMO)...

Others...

Justified Final Scene

Justified Raylan vs. Boon

Mad Men Contract Negotiations

Game of Thrones - Dracarys

You know it brother.
I had to watch that clip of Danny with the slave masters. Such an incredible scene.
I just got done rewatching GOT from the start and it may have been better the second time. So much easier to follow.

Joelle Carter actually favorited a tweet of mine when I thought twitter was worth doing. It was promoting her great work as Emmy worthy, so yeah, I was kissing up a bit (but honest!).

That GoT scene is so good for so many reasons - it’s Dany being strategic and merciless (as she speaks Valyrian but doesn’t let on until the end), and it’s the first time you see a dragon do what everyone is afraid of - burn the hell out of everything. And agree - better the second time - the hints and plots are so well placed and mostly add up. Easier when you know most of the families and characters!

Reactions: Grant Green
Could only find the entire episode, but one of the greatest TV moments ever starts at minute 21...

The Honeymooners - Better Living Through TV

Cal just signed three football recruits from the State of Arizona, and it prompted Rivals' Arizona high school football analyst (did not know there was such a position) to post on the Cal Board about the three recruits. The Rivals analyst's name is Ralph Amsden. I told him his name was close to perfect. ("To the moon, Alice!")

...had this conversation last night with some guys at my local watering hole....most of our rememberances were from the late 60s/70s/80s, and a few guys had some thoughts from the 90s....

Just off the top of my monkey head....
....Sitting on the couch with my dad watching the Vietnam War; Bud Dwyer shooting himself; all the people that went "postal"; Space Shuttle Challenger explosion; every mass shootings since Columbine; the Penn State Scandal and of course, Saturday morning cartoons.

Really shaped me into the person I am today.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
Mad Men was the best at ripping at your heartstrings....Betty's letter to Sally when she finds out she has lung cancer; Sally is instructed to read after she passes but she can't and reads anyway....

ADVERTISEMENT