ADVERTISEMENT

Fargo thread with actual wrestling content

I just saw a 2-day-old Flo “article” on PA entrants - https://www.flowrestling.org/articl...am-pa-is-coming-for-titles-with-these-rosters

I realize it’s probably behind a paywall but linked for those who have an account. Looks like there’s a strong WPIAL contingent with some Waynesburg boys (Church and Welsh), Jackson Arrington and Kilkeary. Plus you have Panico Johnson and podcast boss Sam Herring. From south central PA, Kamdyn Williams is entered (but not his bro?) and Gettysburg stud female, Montana Delawder.

What is happening on the USA wrestling circuit in PA? Are they getting more organized so they can send a better team than in the past years or is something else happening? Did the fact that USA wrestling just gave every state 6 qualifiers per weight help? Just curious. I remember the days when no one wanted to draw a PA kid at any point in the tourney.

PA is taking a strong group in cadets. I can’t believe DT is letting Perry and Gibson go the same weight. I am so Surprised he doesn’t have Perry drop. Kaedyn Williams is going to worlds possibly. I think he was on the greco team.
Losing Feldman will hurt the juniors. They aren’t as deep but still have some chances at medals. I think Arrington finally breaks through on the National level. Bouzakis will crush the field. Feldman would of ripped through as well

Reactions: jbkeller72
PA is taking a strong group in cadets. I can’t believe DT is letting Perry and Gibson go the same weight. I am so Surprised he doesn’t have Perry drop. Kaedyn Williams is going to worlds possibly. I think he was on the greco team.
Losing Feldman will hurt the juniors. They aren’t as deep but still have some chances at medals. I think Arrington finally breaks through on the National level. Bouzakis will crush the field. Feldman would of ripped through as well
May be way off base with the way these clubs work but I'd doubt David interjects when it comes to what weight his kids want to wrestle at Fargo.

May be way off base with the way these clubs work but I'd doubt David interjects when it comes to what weight his kids want to wrestle at Fargo.
Certainly not cutting. He might tell a kid to go up a weight for the challenge, but never cut.

He's been consistent about this for himself and for kids: wrestle at a weight where you focus on being your best.

State success is just as much tied to organization as it is wrestling ability.

If anyone knows the selection process and costs for PA, I'd be interested. I have some qualms about how MN has been doing things, though they have dealt with shitty cards from the pandemic too.

Can't say for the organization, but in PA it's also about other events.

Fargo is a long honking way from PA. 16.5 hr drive from Erie (assuming no Chicago traffic, lol).

From Erie, that's exactly the same distance as Disney. From Pittsburgh, Fargo is 2 hrs further than Disney. From Harrisburg, 5 hrs. From Philly, 7 hrs.

And then when the wrestling is over, family vacation in Fargo or Florida (or some beach along the coast)?

For people who have to choose 1 event, Fargo is at a disadvantage.

Reactions: hlstone and danoftw
The selection process for PA is straightforward. You have to place top four at the PA state freestyle/Greco tournament. You can also qualify by placing at the northeast regional tournament (top four top six). As mentioned above, this year they allowed the top six to qualify from the PA state tournament.

They charge $850 to go to Fargo and wrestle both styles. You have to attend a two and a half day mini camp somewhere in Pennsylvania a few days prior but they put you up and feed you. You then ride a bus to Fargo and get a bus ride home for that price. My guess is that the elite kids probably don't have to pay or their price is significantly discounted.

The selection process for PA is straightforward. You have to place top four at the PA state freestyle/Greco tournament. You can also qualify by placing at the northeast regional tournament (top four top six). As mentioned above, this year they allowed the top six to qualify from the PA state tournament.

They charge $850 to go to Fargo and wrestle both styles. You have to attend a two and a half day mini camp somewhere in Pennsylvania a few days prior but they put you up and feed you. You then ride a bus to Fargo and get a bus ride home for that price. My guess is that the elite kids probably don't have to pay or their price is significantly discounted.
Winners at the state tournaments and the NE Regional go for free. Camp is usually at Pitt-Johnstown. Fargo is a burden for the kid and parent if your kid has to pay. As stated, +/-850 for the kid, plus airfare or a crazy drive and accommodations for parents. You can see how if you cannot win PA states that you might be deterred from attending. Illinois has great representation every year because they are the closest big delegation.

Reactions: tewlepz
Winners at the state tournaments and the NE Regional go for free. Camp is usually at Pitt-Johnstown. Fargo is a burden for the kid and parent if your kid has to pay. As stated, +/-850 for the kid, plus airfare or a crazy drive and accommodations for parents. You can see how if you cannot win PA states that you might be deterred from attending. Illinois has great representation every year because they are the closest big delegation.

Would they get more and maybe a better group of wrestlers if they lowered the entrance fee?

Lots of parents are complaining about the fee, mandatory camp and forcing the wrestlers to ride the bus! I heard when they asked PAUSA wrestling about it, they gave the dreaded “ we have always done it this way”.
If they eliminate the mandatory camps and give wrestlers options to fly, I think they would get more wrestlers & the top wrestlers!

In Illinois we have a 3-4 day camp usually at U of I in Champaign, then the kids ride a greyhound bus and stay in the hotel. The bus, hotel, 20 dollars a day meal money, plus the camp and uniform package is around 1000 dollars. That seems pretty fair to me. They have a raffle for kids to raise money or kids get people to sponsor them if they are broke, but no one gets the fee waived.
It is very organized in Illinois and that helps, but also, the week after the state tournament, freestyle and greco tournaments start to happen. Kids love those styles in Illinois.
This year I think the numbers will be way down for Illinois just because their is no camp and their is no bus or hotel accommodations. I disagree that if PA did away with that, more kids would go.
I know in Iowa and Illinois the kids and coaches think the camp is one of the best things about the experience. All the best kids in one place and on the same team. They make friends throughout the state.

Can the kids say the heck with the bus ride and camp bs and just go with their parents and save a ton of money?

Can the kids say the heck with the bus ride and camp bs and just go with their parents and save a ton of money?
I don't think the bus ride is the most expensive part of the trip. You have to pay for lodging and food at the camp. You have to pay to enter the tourney. You have to pay for a hotel. You have to pay for your equipment package. The bus seems like a pretty good option for most families.

Lets see what the numbers are for Fargo this year. Many states are not providing transportation. It is up to the kids to get there. Also, many states are not having a camp- they are having mini camps through out the state. The Fargo roster and the actual people who show up may and most likely will be different.

Reactions: CurtisLoew40
Not sure if this really belongs in this thread, but Erick Hinkley is guaranteed to finish top 4 at 97kg at the Last Chance Qualifier for World Team Trials. I don't think that info deserves its own thread, but the LCQ is taking place at Fargo, so here it is.

Not sure if this really belongs in this thread, but Erick Hinkley is guaranteed to finish top 4 at 97kg at the Last Chance Qualifier for World Team Trials. I don't think that info deserves its own thread, but the LCQ is taking place at Fargo, so here it is.
Who’s his coach so we can credit them with his growth as a wrestler? 🤔

One of my guys is going at 86kg. There’s not very many competitors at all this morning lol.

One of my guys is going at 86kg. There’s not very many competitors at all this morning lol.

looks like only 1 women's weight is being contested and there are a number with zero entrants.

NLWC has michael rogers going at 130kg in greco. he won his first match of the round robin 11-1.

Reactions: danoftw
I'm surprised it's the same driving distance as Florida. But driving across that barren wasteland that is Ohio, makes everything out that way seem farther.
I sometimes feel the same way on the drive from Scranton to State College and even more so from State College to Pittsburgh😂

I sometimes feel the same way on the drive from Scranton to State College and even more so from State College to Pittsburgh😂
Scranton to SC is a little bleak. But c'mon man, at least we have some mountains in Western PA :). That Ohio turnpike is a whole lot of nothing. I enjoy taking out a small loan and driving west to east on the PA turnpike. Get down out of the mountains and into the rolling farmland and remember what sunlight is.

Reactions: diggerpup
looks like only 1 women's weight is being contested and there are a number with zero entrants.

NLWC has michael rogers going at 130kg in greco. he won his first match of the round robin 11-1.
I know I’ve asked this before… whats rogers’ story?

Former NC State HWT. 2x national prep champ at Wyoming Seminary. 2016 Greco JR world team member.
That explains Green hopping in his corner. Thanks, Jefe.

More of ya'll gotta come see this. I'm in a shitty hotel on like, a week's notice. Drink enough Bud Heavy's, and you don't even realize you're staying in a shithole. Heaven in America. Fargo kicks ass.

PA isn’t rolling like I thought. Perry and Kasak are rolling. M2 is killing it
However Gibson is doing cart wheels with people on his shoulders.

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT