ADVERTISEMENT

Fargo Finale (Spoilers)

rudedude

Sep 28, 2002
Fleetville, Pa.
Anyone make the connection between the weird beginning scene and end scene? Both present similar situations of total uncertainty and being presented with situations that are way out of the norm. Both are also open ended. We don't know what happened to Yuri at the beginning and we don't know what happens with Varga and Gloria at the end. Nikki's end went against the grain and surprised to see the big role Mr. Wrench played. Hawley indicating he does not have a new story yet but there still may be another season as FX appears to have left it open and up to Hawley if and when he comes up with a new story.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Hawley indicating he does not have a new story yet but there still may be another season as FX appears to have left it open and up to Hawley if and when he comes up with a new story.

Well if his next story burns ten hours without an ending, he can save me the trouble & quit now.

Reactions: searay26
Well if his next story burns ten hours without an ending, he can save me the trouble & quit now.
Considering Hawley does an excellent job at copying the Coen Bros. movies, it isn't surprising that there is an open ending. I thought the final few episodes were brilliant and true Coen Bros. Was Varga really there? Did the guy come for him or was he whisked away in cuffs? Considering Varga is a man of mystery and doesn't exist (no electronic footprint), the dreamlike ending is perfect. He reminds me of Verbal in the Usual Suspects. The least expected person to be pulling all the strings. Is Gloria imagining the meeting with Varga to get closure? The two possible endings provide the viewer with two different moral outcomes: 1) Justice is served and justice for all or 2) the powerful and rich are able to get away with murder and there is a hierarchy as Varga explains that the rich are more important than than the poor. The viewer gets to decide the outcome.

Last edited:
Anyone make the connection between the weird beginning scene and end scene? Both present similar situations of total uncertainty and being presented with situations that are way out of the norm. Both are also open ended. We don't know what happened to Yuri at the beginning and we don't know what happens with Varga and Gloria at the end. Nikki's end went against the grain and surprised to see the big role Mr. Wrench played. Hawley indicating he does not have a new story yet but there still may be another season as FX appears to have left it open and up to Hawley if and when he comes up with a new story.

I'd like another season of Fargo even though I felt this season was the weakest of the three (though I loved a lot of the individual characters - Nikki Swango, VM Varga, Gloria Burgle, and the re-appearance of Mr. Wrench). I do think the big picture here is exactly what you're getting at about the wealthy vs. the poor and how different their lives are. Another important theme is the idea of reality vs. perception - Varga really brings this point home in his final (we think) encounter with Gloria. Gloria reminds him that six people died and $200 million disappeared, and that those are facts. Varga counters that according to the official record, the case is closed and no one owes anyone anything. He says she's "arguing with reality." Also worth noting according to the IRS agent, Varga wasn't really doing anything illegal by tearing down Stussy's company so he and a few others profit, except that he wasn't paying taxes. Certainly, not everything was wrapped up in a nice neat bow like the previous two seasons, and I for one was hoping to see Nikki and Mr. Wrench make off with the money and live out their lives playing competitive bridge together.

Rolling Stone had a good (and very positive) review of the episode and ended with this, which I think is really appropriate:

About the title: You might remember that "Somebody to Love" was the Jefferson Airplane song that figures prominently in the Coen brothers' A Serious Man, a movie that ends on a moment of cruel irresolution. This season does something similar, as Varga insists he's minutes away from being freed (at which point Gloria will "know [her] place in the world"), while Agent Burgle just smiles and stares at the door, waiting for him to be proven wrong. We leave the two of them there, facing each other in an endless staredown, never finding out what happens next.

Is there any truer representation of life in 2017 than this: stabilizing and destabilizing forces, deadlocked, each confident that they're about to crush the other? But while it would've been more uplifting to get a classic Fargo finish where simple decency unambiguously wins out, the way this season concludes is hardly devoid of hope. "Who can say what has occurred?" the ever-relativistic Varga asks Gloria. And in the end, on-screen and off, we're the ones left to throw down that final trump card on the table.

Reactions: rudedude
I'd like another season of Fargo even though I felt this season was the weakest of the three (though I loved a lot of the individual characters - Nikki Swango, VM Varga, Gloria Burgle, and the re-appearance of Mr. Wrench). I do think the big picture here is exactly what you're getting at about the wealthy vs. the poor and how different their lives are. Another important theme is the idea of reality vs. perception - Varga really brings this point home in his final (we think) encounter with Gloria. Gloria reminds him that six people died and $200 million disappeared, and that those are facts. Varga counters that according to the official record, the case is closed and no one owes anyone anything. He says she's "arguing with reality." Also worth noting according to the IRS agent, Varga wasn't really doing anything illegal by tearing down Stussy's company so he and a few others profit, except that he wasn't paying taxes. Certainly, not everything was wrapped up in a nice neat bow like the previous two seasons, and I for one was hoping to see Nikki and Mr. Wrench make off with the money and live out their lives playing competitive bridge together.

Rolling Stone had a good (and very positive) review of the episode and ended with this, which I think is really appropriate:

About the title: You might remember that "Somebody to Love" was the Jefferson Airplane song that figures prominently in the Coen brothers' A Serious Man, a movie that ends on a moment of cruel irresolution. This season does something similar, as Varga insists he's minutes away from being freed (at which point Gloria will "know [her] place in the world"), while Agent Burgle just smiles and stares at the door, waiting for him to be proven wrong. We leave the two of them there, facing each other in an endless staredown, never finding out what happens next.

Is there any truer representation of life in 2017 than this: stabilizing and destabilizing forces, deadlocked, each confident that they're about to crush the other? But while it would've been more uplifting to get a classic Fargo finish where simple decency unambiguously wins out, the way this season concludes is hardly devoid of hope. "Who can say what has occurred?" the ever-relativistic Varga asks Gloria. And in the end, on-screen and off, we're the ones left to throw down that final trump card on the table.
A Serious Man is a great Coen Bros. Film

Considering Hawley does an excellent job at copying the Coen Bros. movies, it isn't surprising that there is an open ending..

Can you do me a favor & list the others that do this regularly? I despise ties, Schroedinger's cat, and unfinished movies (and yes, I'm still bitter about No Country for Old Men). If I want to end it myself, I'll create my own story with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the story and the blackjack.

No Country For Old Men was written by Cormack McCarthy, so the Coens' aren't necessarily responsible for the ending. They just filmed what McCarthy wrote.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT