ADVERTISEMENT

Fargo 2022

Ruiz Riggins still has seven seconds remaining but the ending will have been great, regardless of this challenge.

Whoa. Ruiz got a bit robbed there. Both guys appeared to have traded fours with under :30, but they reviewed and gave Ruiz's four to Riggins, turning a 12-11 Ruiz advantage to a 15-8 Riggins win. Really looked like it was Ruiz's initiative on the four.

Last edited:
Barr up now vs PA's Rocco Welsh in the finals.
1-0 Barr at the break on a shot clock point.
Barr shot, lost the handle, gave up exposure, then stepped out. Welsh 3-1.
5-1 now on a double going OOB.
5-3, as Barr converts a low single.
Barr creates some chaos and converts, then cross-faces for two more. Step out off the same series makes it 8-5, :03 left, and that's that. Congrats Josh Barr!

Last edited:
Barr up now vs PA's Rocco Welsh in the finals.
1-0 Barr at the break on a shot clock point.
Barr shot, lost the handle, gave up exposure, then stepped out. Welsh 3-1.
5-1 now on a double going OOB.
5-3, as Barr converts a low single.
Barr creates some chaos and converts, then cross-faces for two more. Step out off the same series makes it 8-5.
That was a great match. Looked dire in the 2nd but Barr adjusted and looked great.

Kolby Franklin must have moved to Iowa so he qualifies for in-state tuition..lol

Barr is looking like the next Bo Nickal. Love the way he wrestles.
Gibsons two was very questionable. He tweet about it was classy. FS is filled with close, judgement calls.

Jesuroga and Chittum are both animals. Has Chittum declared where he is going after decommitting?

Kyle Dutton’s strength was another level and beat Mantona very handily.
I can’t stand Iowa people but much respect to their crop of wrestlers. Sebolt right now is the best club in the country and it’s not even close.

I mentioned this a couple months ago, maybe during Junior WTT, but Barr has VERY good foot speed for a guy that tall.

Since he’s a national team member, any word on an early move to NLWC, a la Lees or Levi?

I might be wrong, but I’m pretty sure Sebolt is an application club. Would love to see/hear How he develops a kid who can’t cartwheel at age 10.

Maybe he’s done it and I have egg on my face. Is M2 by application?

Reactions: Lyons212
Barr is looking like the next Bo Nickal. Love the way he wrestles.
Gibsons two was very questionable. He tweet about it was classy. FS is filled with close, judgement calls.

Jesuroga and Chittum are both animals. Has Chittum declared where he is going after decommitting?

Kyle Dutton’s strength was another level and beat Mantona very handily.
I can’t stand Iowa people but much respect to their crop of wrestlers. Sebolt right now is the best club in the country and it’s not even close.
Wake me up when PA Juniors show up to Fargo in force.

I might be wrong, but I’m pretty sure Sebolt is an application club. Would love to see/hear How he develops a kid who can’t cartwheel at age 10.

He has an elite division I think that there are kind of tryouts for (AKA your credentials or maybe he just sees how you can hang). He also has a beginner class that I'm sure other coaches handle but anyone can join that. I think DT has that also (the Magicians). This happens in every sport, there are separation of levels. It doesn't make sense to put a kid who has been wrestling for a year with Jesuroga in practice.

Wake me up when PA Juniors show up to Fargo in force.
I give Iowa props, they love wrestling and their best guys always show up to the national events to represent the state. I don't think there's leadership in PA to organize a super team ever. We can only put it on paper and say we'd win. Unfortunately, you can't win if you don't play (not at junior duals or this)

That being said, if they want to take this as a sign to prioritize Iowa recruiting instead of Pennsylvania, I am TOTALLY for that.

I give Iowa props, they love wrestling and their best guys always show up to the national events to represent the state. I don't think there's leadership in PA to organize a super team ever. We can only put it on paper and say we'd win. Unfortunately, you can't win if you don't play (not at junior duals or this)

That being said, if they want to take this as a sign to prioritize Iowa recruiting instead of Pennsylvania, I am TOTALLY for that.
Our guys prioritize Beast, Ironman, Super 32, Powerade, etc - and then every March at Nationals.

and amen to your last paragraph

Our guys prioritize Beast, Ironman, Super 32, Powerade, etc - and then every March at Nationals.

The PA guys are definitely more for the folk tournaments and it shows when they get to college on the mats. High school results be damned, there is decades of evidence at this point that PA is the state that ultimately translate the best to NCAA. Hell Iowa just saw it. If the PA kids want to wrestle free, it tends to be because they want a chance to represent the US on a World Stage.

Also, it did stand out to me that Spencer Lee and Yianni both joked about not having stop signs before Fargo kicked off. I definitely don't want to downplay Fargo as an event, it is hell of an event and winning it absolutely translates and PSU has quite a bit of former Fargo champs (hell 4 of our 5 champs were Fargo champs) That being said, it's not a big deal PA doesn't want to go sweep the event.

Fargo is forever away from PA -- 16.5 hrs from Pittsburgh, 21.5 hrs from Philly. Key West is a shorter drive from PHL. Or a multi-stop flight that costs as much as a flight to Europe.

Move Fargo to a comparable eastern city (15+ hrs from upper Midwest, not near a major hub airport) -- say, Hartford or Norfolk -- and let's see how the various states turn out.

Then again, PA Wrestling would probably still make travel arrangements difficult.

Just dropping in to say hell of a match by Barr. Looked like Welsh had his number, but Barr figured it out and got the W. You got a(nother) good one.
Thank you for fulfilling your monthly sucking up quota jrod!

All kidding aside, hell of a showing by your state and of course all of the Hawkeyes this week! Not sure we'll see a 100 point win like that again by any state.

That sounds like the response from Iowa fans on why PSU keeps winning. Cael just recruits better. You have to hand it to Sebolt. They are getting the kids to produce. I agree that Fargo is not as loaded with PA talent as before (15-20 years ago) and I do not remember so many good kids missing because they were on World teams like they are now. However, to say it is not quite an accomplishment to win Fargo is silly.

How do they score Fargo? I thought if you had a champ you got 8 teams points and if you finished second you got 7 team points all the way down to 1 team point for an 8th place finish. It has to have changed. What is the scoring like now?

Every group has a different purpose. They absolutely fulfilled theirs at an insanely high level. I doubt my question negates any of the heaps of credit they’ve earned.

Good to see u back jrod. It's been a while.

No worries. I know what @McScoreley is referencing.

Besides I only posted that about Barr to make @BrockBronson feel bad for saying that they "can't stand Iowa people.";)

were-all-good-people-and-everybody-loves-us-fran-drescher.gif

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT