ADVERTISEMENT

Fanduel's way too early betting lines on key Penn State games

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Interesting. At the end of the day, I think we'll go into both the Purdue and Auburn games as a slight underdog rather than a slight favorite, but who knows.

And on paper that Michigan State early number seems far-fetched too.
  • Sept. 1: Penn State is a 3-point favorite at Purdue
  • Sept. 17: Penn State is a 1-point favorite at Auburn
  • Oct. 15: Penn State is a 6.5-point underdog at Michigan
  • Oct. 22: Penn State is a 9-point favorite at home vs. Minnesota
  • Oct. 29: Penn State is a 13-point underdog at home vs. Ohio State
  • Nov. 26: Penn State is a 6.5-point favorite at home against Michigan State

I don't see anything terribly outside of what most expect except for Michigan State. I would put as at a 3 ish point dog.

I don't see anything terribly outside of what most expect except for Michigan State. I would put as at a 3 ish point dog.

The Michigan State number is a total WAG. So much water to go over the dam before that game.

I think the spread on Purdue is going to be three points or less in either direction. Typical B1G play: scheduling us to open against a potential West contender on the road.

Only game I see us potentially winning outright is Minnesota. The others will be losses the only question will be by how much.

Reactions: duboispanther
Interesting. At the end of the day, I think we'll go into both the Purdue and Auburn games as a slight underdog rather than a slight favorite, but who knows.

Hey Jerry: What's the line on the PSU-Indiana game? I'm traveling to Bloomington this November to see that game, with some friends from Lafayette who have a daughter enrolled there. I'm also traveling to South Bend in September to take in the Cal-Notre Dame game. Two CFB games in Indiana in one year. Who woulda thunk it?

Hey Jerry: What's the line on the PSU-Indiana game? I'm traveling to Bloomington this November to see that game, with some friends from Lafayette who have a daughter enrolled there. I'm also traveling to South Bend in September to take in the Cal-Notre Dame game. Two CFB games in Indiana in one year. Who woulda thunk it?

Laf, I haven't seen an early line on Indiana. Personally, I'd ballpark it in the neighborhood of 17 points as of today.

Those two game you mention sound like a lot of fun. With an unproven head coach, I think ND may be overrated myself but who knows. They've got loads of talent, no question.

Only game I see us potentially winning outright is Minnesota. The others will be losses the only question will be by how much.
You should be able to make some good money then.. I think the saying goes.. put your money where your mouth is?

Reactions: marshall23
That is correct. 7-5 is our likely record.
That is what I had until Minnesota was announced as a night game. Right now, I would have Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State as solid (UM) to strong (MSU, OSU) favorites. Minnesota is a slight to solid favorite due to the white out vs. a solid favorite. Purdue and Auburn are 50/50 games. Right now, I am thinking 9-3 best case with losses to the Ohio State and the Michigan schools, 6-6 is worse case with losses to the before mentioned five plus one of Northwestern, Maryland and a rapidly improving Rutgers. The middle ground usually wins. I think 7-5 is more realistic than 8-4.

That is what I had until Minnesota was announced as a night game. Right now, I would have Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State as solid (UM) to strong (MSU, OSU) favorites. Minnesota is a slight to solid favorite due to the white out vs. a solid favorite. Purdue and Auburn are 50/50 games. Right now, I am thinking 9-3 best case with losses to the Ohio State and the Michigan schools, 6-6 is worse case with losses to the before mentioned five plus one of Northwestern, Maryland and a rapidly improving Rutgers. The middle ground usually wins. I think 7-5 is more realistic than 8-4.
Our talent is as good as any of these teams save for Ohio State but Franklin's approach in this league gets eaten alive. We will not matter until he either changes his approach or leaves. If he is not careful Rutgers and possibly Maryland will pass us. I've never been this hopeless including the dark years having followed PSU for 50 years. Very depressing.

Reactions: mnuccio2
Our talent is as good as any of these teams save for Ohio State but Franklin's approach in this league gets eaten alive. We will not matter until he either changes his approach or leaves. If he is not careful Rutgers and possibly Maryland will pass us. I've never been this hopeless including the dark years having followed PSU for 50 years. Very depressing.
This is pretty much where I have been with Franklin for a while. He just isn't that good of a head coach. He is a good, not great recruiter. The frequency in which he whiffs on critical recruits proves as much. His philosophy will always feature an uneven roster that is hindered by massive holes due to the before mentioned whiffs. Likewise, his coaching philosophy ensures our roster of position coaches will feature more recruiters than developers of talent and system coordinators. We are likely two years into a protracted downturn for the football team. 10 wins is his ceiling and that only happens when the stars align and it is out of alignment right now. O'Brien's bunch of 'fighters' are gone, the collection of targets his staff identified are also through the system and the flexible framework that was implemented by Joe Moorhead is in the dustbin of history and has been replaced a inflexible system that would normally take two to three years to implement but likely longer due to the constant roster churn driven by the portal. To make matters worse, he brought in an uber aggressive system coordinator on the defensive side to coach a roster that has huge holes.

This is pretty much where I have been with Franklin for a while. He just isn't that good of a head coach. He is a good, not great recruiter. The frequency in which he whiffs on critical recruits proves as much. His philosophy will always feature an uneven roster that is hindered by massive holes due to the before mentioned whiffs. Likewise, his coaching philosophy ensures our roster of position coaches will feature more recruiters than developers of talent and system coordinators. We are likely two years into a protracted downturn for the football team. 10 wins is his ceiling and that only happens when the stars align and it is out of alignment right now. O'Brien's bunch of 'fighters' are gone, the collection of targets his staff identified are also through the system and the flexible framework that was implemented by Joe Moorhead is in the dustbin of history and has been replaced a inflexible system that would normally take two to three years to implement but likely longer due to the constant roster churn driven by the portal. To make matters worse, he brought in an uber aggressive system coordinator on the defensive side to coach a roster that has huge holes.
I too am doubtful that CJF's desired schemes can succeed in the B1G. If, like some are predicting, a 7-5 or 8-4 season occurs, it is time for him to move on bcause I don't think he wants to adapt to the B1G. Like the guy, but he seems to have hit his ceiling with the schemes he wants employed.

I too am doubtful that CJF's desired schemes can succeed in the B1G. If, like some are predicting, a 7-5 or 8-4 season occurs, it is time for him to move on bcause I don't think he wants to adapt to the B1G. Like the guy, but he seems to have hit his ceiling with the schemes he wants employed.
I fully agree, he does not want to adapt to the Big Ten. But, unlike you, I do not like the guy nor will I ever given how he treated the Zack Zwinaks, Donovan Smiths, Geno Lewis' and Kyle Carters of the world when he took over. Never mind his non-stop whining about facilities and assistant coaching pay or his track record of throwing players under the bus in press conferences.

O'Brien's big year was because the roster was stocked with NFL talent Joe recruited.
Even so he lost to Virginia and Ohio. LOL
Yes, the roster was stocked by Joe's talent, just like Franklin's best years were built on OB's talent. Franklin's talent has produced nothing. In fact, the team is on a downward trend with Franklin's talent. Deal with it, clown.

You should enjoy the game at Bloomington. Went there for a game in the Saquon era -- park close to the stadium, set up tail gate and easy walk. Indiana fans are generally friendly (most years they have low expectations). If you have some extra time, take a look at their famous basketball venue Assembly Hall.

You should enjoy the game at Bloomington. Went there for a game in the Saquon era -- park close to the stadium, set up tail gate and easy walk. Indiana fans are generally friendly (most years they have low expectations). If you have some extra time, take a look at their famous basketball venue Assembly Hall.
Will do, Roy. Would love to see Assembly Hall. Wonder if they have a little plaque in the floor of the basketball court to mark where Bobby Knight was standing when he hurled those folding chairs onto the court? :cool:

Reactions: royboy
Manny Diaz was nominated for the Broyles Award today.

So we were expected to go 10-2 even make in May...

Great prediction Nostradamus.

My recollection is that Vegas had the over-under at 8.5 for wins, so I think 10, if we get there, represents overachievement. Even the small sample in this thread suggests most fans did not have us pegged for 10 wins either.
That's simply because people don't respect Franklin and thought he'd cost us a game or two or three not that we weren't the better team

So we were expected to go 10-2 even make in May...
Nope, 8.5 wins is what Vegas gave betters. Nice try. Vegas odds win totals

Do you also think a team favored by 3 points or less in every game before the season would have win total odds to go undefeated? You aren't that stupid which further cements that you are intentionally trying to diminish PSU. Get lost troll.

Reactions: joeaubie21
That's simply because people don't respect Franklin and thought he'd cost us a game or two or three not that we weren't the better team
It has nothing to do with Franklin...it because college football is not played on paper and upsets happen.

It has nothing to do with Franklin...it because college football is not played on paper and upsets happen.
You are correct and the troll knows that. He's just taking shots at our coach and PSU because that's what he does.

Alabama, Georgia and Ohio St were favored in every game this year but Vegas had each at 10.5 win totals for betting. Is that because Vegas thinks poorly of their coaches too?

You are correct and the troll knows that. He's just taking shots at our coach and PSU because that's what he does.

Alabama, Georgia and Ohio St were favored in every game this year but Vegas had each at 10.5 win totals for betting. Is that because Vegas thinks poorly of their coaches too?
How many games did Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State "expect" to win? Less than 12?

I disagree. He is pretty stupid.
You and @Online Persona have a weird obsession with me. The reality is this team is far superior than every team we've beat and I've given Franklin a ton of credit for not losing to a team he shouldn't have lost to. I even gave him credit for Ohio State. Out of our 10 games so far he's met expectations in 7, exceeded them in 1 (Ohio State) and fell short in 2 (Purdue and Michigan). I'll take that any year. The goal is to no longer expect to lose to Ohio State and Michigan

You and @Online Persona have a weird obsession with me. The reality is this team is far superior than every team we've beat and I've given Franklin a ton of credit for not losing to a team he shouldn't have lost to. I even gave him credit for Ohio State. Out of our 10 games so far he's met expectations in 7, exceeded them in 1 (Ohio State) and fell short in 2 (Purdue and Michigan). I'll take that any year. The goal is to no longer expect to lose to Ohio State and Michigan
Quite a few others have called you out as not a PSU fan due to constantly trying to diminish all things PSU. It's not just Marshall and I that point it out.

Reactions: marshall23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT