ADVERTISEMENT

Facundo

Does Joe Lee get any scholarship money? If he is just a walk one was he really recruited
The Lee's established residency in PA, and have property in State College. If Joe gets scholarship money, I would expect that it is a partial at best. But given that they are in state, tuition isn't crazy. The Lee family is a great family that has made a huge commitment to Penn State. I would expect that the Lee's foot most of the bill, as most parents do. As fans, we should have the same commitment to Joe Lee. If he is the best guy in the room at 165, he's the best guy. If someone beats him, then they win the spot. This isn't a complicated thing. With 9.9 scholarships, we need families like the Lee's to flesh out 10 weights with viable backups and guys in the pipeline.
Non-scholarship athletes are recruited all the time. Often the coaches are offering nothing but PSU and the opportunity versus scholarship at other institutions.

I have a hard time believing joe won't improve greatly year to year. To think otherwise would mean that Caels ability to coach is limited which none of us believe. The other option is that Joe was recruited because of nick and is along for the ride. Again I don't think Cael would do that Joe is very talented he's just making big mistakes. And more importantly he's making mistakes that can be corrected. He has an offensive mind set we all like that he will get better defensively just like beard will. Have some faith in the process and enjoy watching him grow. Most penn state wrestlers start out like this not all of them but man we are spoiled when we expect every weight to be a stud who AA s. That's not realistic. Mark my words joe will improve next year and make big moves that we all like to see in the right direction

Just an aside. I'm wondering if Nick being in the line up and doing so well hasn't added some pressure on joe to do things he's not ready to do like big moves because he wants to add up to bigger brother
I have plenty of faith in the process. If Joe Lee is our best 165 pounder next year that's OK. However, my guess is if Joe doesn't make huge leaps in his conditioning and fundamentals the patience will be somewhat limited next year.

I was thinking the same thing. I love Brady but his body is breaking down and I hope that isn't a knee reconstruction we just witnessed. I think Joe has a great long body type for 157 (like Jason Nolf) if he can make the cut without killing himself? We need someon good to fill in for Brady if this injury is really serious?
Why does Austin Boone not get any love here?

I’m not giving up on Joe Lee! Rumor has it he trashed his knee before nationals and couldn’t shoot, if true explains his style in SL.
If you look at how his knee was wrapped, then nothing at NCAA's, something appears to be amiss. Most likely an ACL or tweaked MCL that, wrapping wasn't going to do anything.

Thanks for setting it up. No. Don’t disrespect Indiana. Famous Potatoes! ;)

idaho-shape_orig.jpg

Reactions: jtothemfp
The Lee's established residency in PA, and have property in State College. If Joe gets scholarship money, I would expect that it is a partial at best. But given that they are in state, tuition isn't crazy. The Lee family is a great family that has made a huge commitment to Penn State. I would expect that the Lee's foot most of the bill, as most parents do. As fans, we should have the same commitment to Joe Lee. If he is the best guy in the room at 165, he's the best guy. If someone beats him, then they win the spot. This isn't a complicated thing. With 9.9 scholarships, we need families like the Lee's to flesh out 10 weights with viable backups and guys in the pipeline.
Non-scholarship athletes are recruited all the time. Often the coaches are offering nothing but PSU and the opportunity versus scholarship at other institutions.
I know we all owe the Lee fambly a big thank you - I am certain they are footing some fiscal pain on top pf raising great kids which enhances Penn St’s wrestling dominance

Upon further reflection, I think it definitely makes sense Willie is talking about weight. Facundo literally said a week ago he's coming to Penn State in June. Talks of Paddy going 157 right away for OSU next year. Talks here of Facundo going 184 or even 197 for us once he fills out. If that's the case, makes sense that Paddy and Facundo might never wrestle in college.

Sincere apology if I caused any unneeded grief.

I think if Shane comes to Penn st and has 3 yrs left, facundo may look else wear too wrestle, the scolly dollars might not be thier.

He’s a Fargo champion, he teched Shane Griffith in the final. He teched David Carr the last time they wrestled. He pinned the NCAA 5 seed in 20 seconds in December. Don’t be Moron!!
The morans love the offseason

Reactions: liex26
He’s a Fargo champion, he teched Shane Griffith in the final. He teched David Carr the last time they wrestled. He pinned the NCAA 5 seed in 20 seconds in December. Don’t be Moron!!
What has Joe Lee shown you in college that would make you think he's even close to the level of a Shane Griffith or David Carr? Who cares who he beat at Fargo in HS. And if a preseason win over Hartman in freestyle gets you excited, I would pump the brakes. Hartman was gifted AA status this year on account of a generous seed, and Mekhi's injury.

Reactions: tabenn
What has Joe Lee shown you in college that would make you think he's even close to the level of a Shane Griffith or David Carr? Who cares who he beat at Fargo in HS. And if a preseason win over Hartman in freestyle gets you excited, I would pump the brakes. Hartman was gifted AA status this year on account of a generous seed, and Mekhi's injury.
He beat Jake Wentzel 10-3 his redshirting year. That good enough for you or was Wentzel gifted a finalist spot also?

Reactions: PSUer1989
He beat Jake Wentzel 10-3 his redshirting year. That good enough for you or was Wentzel gifted a finalist spot also?
Wentzel wasn't even close to the same guy last year.

Also, Joe Lee did not tech David Carr the last time they wrestled. He teched him one time, and Carr has beaten him every other time they've wrestled (at least 4x from memory) and multiple times since that match. On top of that, Carr has had far superior results than Joe (obviously).

At some point, you have to accept the good results as what they are: outliers. And I'm not a Joe Lee hater. I'm an Indiana guy as many of you know by now. I just don't think he's ever going to be the elite guy his brother is like many kind of assumed.

You sure? He won ACCs beating McFadden last year. He didn't jump to magically beating everyone by bonus this year either. More or less his results showed he pretty much still was a similar wrestler. For sure he improved this year but to imply he wasn't good last year is wrong. If you don't see how nearly majoring Wentzel is a sign of how good Joe can be then we can just agree to disagree.

At some point, you have to accept the good results as what they are: outliers. And I'm not a Joe Lee hater. I'm an Indiana guy as many of you know by now. I just don't think he's ever going to be the elite guy his brother is like many kind of assumed.
Why? Because he didn't look good in a COVID year when he had a thrashed knee?

Last edited:
Wentzel beat O'Toole so no, not gifted into the finals.

But he did receive an enormous break, in facing Smith in the semis instead of Wittlake or Valencia.

Time will tell. It's up to Joe how good he wants to be. If he is there mentally, then learn, train, and practice the same way other greats have done. I see flashes of talent, so it's not like he lacks the physical skills if he tightens things up a bit. Coach has made it very clear that he sets the atmosphere, environment, and opportunities for the wrestlers ... the rest is on them.

Reactions: Lyons212

Also, Joe Lee did not tech David Carr the last time they wrestled. He teched him one time, and Carr has beaten him every other time they've wrestled (at least 4x from memory) and multiple times since that match. On top of that, Carr has had far superior results than Joe (obviously).

Everything ok?

You sure? He won ACCs beating McFadden last year. He didn't jump to magically beating everyone by bonus this year either. More or less his results showed he pretty much still was a similar wrestler. For sure he improved this year but to imply he wasn't good last year is wrong. If you don't see how nearly majoring Wentzel is a sign of how good Joe can be then we can just agree to disagree.

Why? Because he didn't look good in a COVID year when he had a thrashed knee?
McFadden was terrible last year down the stretch. Was cutting way too much weight. There's a reason he's all the way up at 86 kg now.

And I didn't say he wasn't good last year. He was a solid 10-15 type guy. But you were using his results from this year to make the win seem better than it really was. Joe Lee has some skills, but the idea that he would even be on the same level as guys like Carr and Griffith is ridiculous.

If he manages to stay in the lineup long term, I think he AA's, but I don't see him ever being consistent enough to be a title contender. He's been boom or bust for 6-7 years. I think he's going to stay that way.

McFadden was terrible last year down the stretch. Was cutting way too much weight. There's a reason he's all the way up at 86 kg now.

And I didn't say he wasn't good last year. He was a solid 10-15 type guy. But you were using his results from this year to make the win seem better than it really was. Joe Lee has some skills, but the idea that he would even be on the same level as guys like Carr and Griffith is ridiculous.

If he manages to stay in the lineup long term, I think he AA's, but I don't see him ever being consistent enough to be a title contender. He's been boom or bust for 6-7 years. I think he's going to stay that way.

If the boom comes in late March, I'm good with that.

You good, man?

Wentzel beat O'Toole so no, not gifted into the finals.

But he did receive an enormous break, in facing Smith in the semis instead of Wittlake or Valencia.
O’toole is better than either of those guys. Both are overrated. Wittlake by a little and Valencia by a ton.

Reactions: crablegs1
ADVERTISEMENT