ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting FACT OR FICTION: Penn State will flip WVU commit Rodney Gallagher

How not? This poster just said he's the only reason Dotson was decent. Trace is highly overrated here by many. He was, at least, an average college QB and that's likely being kind.
Average college quarterbacks don’t play multiple years for NFL teams. —Time to re-assess

Reactions: NJPSU
How not? This poster just said he's the only reason Dotson was decent. Trace is highly overrated here by many. He was, at least, an average college QB and that's likely being kind.

Trace is the only reason Dotson was decent? I don't even know what to make of that...Trace barely got to use Dotson. One was a senior, the other a true freshman.

Trace was probably better than average. 31-9 over 3 years. Was he an all timer? Lord no. But he's definitely among the best QBs in the past 30 years. And he's even hung around the league some. Not bad for a projected college safety.

Anybody who wants to diminish Trace is probably a grump.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
Trace is the only reason Dotson was decent? I don't even know what to make of that...Trace barely got to use Dotson. One was a senior, the other a true freshman.

Trace was probably better than average. 31-9 over 3 years. Was he an all timer? Lord no. But he's definitely among the best QBs in the past 30 years. And he's even hung around the league some. Not bad for a projected college safety.

Anybody who wants to diminish Trace is probably a grump.
Saquon made Trace relevant. Would you like a comparison of his junior year to senior year? He even had Sanders that year. The reality is he wasn't very good and saying he's among our best QBs since Collins is just saying we haven't had many good QBs.

Trace seems like a good guy and was an effective QB but wasn't special and didn't "make" any WR better.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Saquon made Trace relevant. Would you like a comparison of his junior year to senior year? He even had Sanders that year. The reality is he wasn't very good and saying he's among our best QBs since Collins is just saying we haven't had many good QBs.

Trace seems like a good guy and was an effective QB but wasn't special and didn't "make" any WR better.

Trace lost Saquon, yes.

He also lost Godwin and Gesicki.

I think that had more to do with his decline in passing yardage than Saquon.

Penn State also lost Moorhead calling plays and replaced him with Rahne.

But yes, let's blame all of this on Trace. Nobody has said he was the best QB ever. I think he's generally rated as he was, but the hyperbole tends to underrate him way more than overrate.

Reactions: bison13
Trace lost Saquon, yes.

He also lost Godwin and Gesicki.

I think that had more to do with his decline in passing yardage than Saquon.

Penn State also lost Moorhead calling plays and replaced him with Rahne.

But yes, let's blame all of this on Trace. Nobody has said he was the best QB ever. I think he's generally rated as he was, but the hyperbole tends to underrate him way more than overrate.
I completely disagree--I think he's more often overrated than not.
It's not "all his fault" but his success was largely smoke and mirrors. Doesn't really matter but, to me, Trace is the most overrated player in the Franklin era. It's all opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
I completely disagree--I think he's more often overrated than not.
It's not "all his fault" but his success was largely smoke and mirrors. Doesn't really matter but, to me, Trace is the most overrated player in the Franklin era. It's all opinion.
You once again are clueless. There is something called intangibles such as heart, desire, guts, leadership that you clearly have none of but Trace has in spades. Beyond that he won games, led the offense and could make the throws.
All rolls up to being a great college QB. We are all now dumber for having to read your posts. On to ignore!!

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
He was pretty damn good at Penn State, largely due to his smarts and his ability to run. He was not a great passer but was fearless and had a bevy of good receivers. The fact that he's still in the NFL is impressive, given his undeniable lack of arm strength. And he deserves a ton of credit and recognition for that.

Possibly overrated, depending on who's doing the rating. But talk about a crappy discussion topic amongst Penn State fans: who was the most overrated PSU player 🤣

How about underrated?

Reactions: Obliviax
He was pretty damn good at Penn State, largely due to his smarts and his ability to run. He was not a great passer but was fearless and had a bevy of good receivers. The fact that he's still in the NFL is impressive, given his undeniable lack of arm strength. And he deserves a ton of credit and recognition for that.

Possibly overrated, depending on who's doing the rating. But talk about a crappy discussion topic amongst Penn State fans: who was the most overrated PSU player 🤣

How about underrated?
Remember that Tebow dude. He was exposed as overrated when he got to the NFL. No arm strength or pocket presence. He should never have started at Florida. I think he must have pictures of Urban or something.

Remember that Tebow dude. He was exposed as overrated when he got to the NFL. No arm strength or pocket presence. He should never have started at Florida. I think he must have pictures of Urban or something.
Do you not know the difference between good college and good nfl qb? You last comment is enough to put you on ignore.

You once again are clueless. There is something called intangibles such as heart, desire, guts, leadership that you clearly have none of but Trace has in spades. Beyond that he won games, led the offense and could make the throws.
All rolls up to being a great college QB. We are all now dumber for having to read your posts. On to ignore!!
That's just what people say instead of saying the wasn't a great player. He wasn't a great QB and you know it. Hence you'll claim to put me on ignore.

The reality is we all have someone we believe is the most overrated. Someone said Dotson. For me it's McSorley. He made the most of the talent he had but if we had a legit QB for Barkley's Sophomore and Junior seasons we likely make the playoff or win a title. He wasn't good enough and that became apparent when Barkley left. Kudos to him for making a career in the NFL. Nothing against the guy at all but we needed to recruit better at that position. It's part of the reason we're all excited for Allar because we haven't had a truly elite QB since Collins.

Reactions: CbusLion10
Do you not know the difference between good college and good nfl qb? You last comment is enough to put you on ignore.
Seriously? I was making jest of the painful overrated conversation with regard to Trace. Obviously Tebow was a Hall of Fame college QB who didn’t have what it takes for the NFL.

Trace had a great PSU career because he was a never give up, always prepared kind of guy with average physical skills. Calling him overrated is like calling Chuck Burkhart overrated. Or John Shaffer. Between both of them I think they have less than 5 total losses in their lives. They are all leaders.

Here's the thing about any player who is described as "Pitt thought to be in the lead"...
See...if a player is thought of that way, then the one team who can swoop in and get him, is Penn State.

The reality is we all have someone we believe is the most overrated. Someone said Dotson. For me it's McSorley. He made the most of the talent he had but if we had a legit QB for Barkley's Sophomore and Junior seasons we likely make the playoff or win a title. He wasn't good enough and that became apparent when Barkley left. Kudos to him for making a career in the NFL. Nothing against the guy at all but we needed to recruit better at that position. It's part of the reason we're all excited for Allar because we haven't had a truly elite QB since Collins.
That's pretty fair, Trace was very good but not elite since he couldn't make those Collins type throws. Made a ton of plays for us though, and was a big part of Penn State overachieving ciming out of sanctions. Understandable why he's revered.

That's pretty fair, Trace was very good but not elite since he couldn't make those Collins type throws. Made a ton of plays for us though, and was a big part of Penn State overachieving ciming out of sanctions. Understandable why he's revered.
To be honest, people like him because he was the underdog and exceeded the expectations for him after Hack failed to live up to his. He's also a likeable kid. JMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT